Alternative to scenic cement

Rub

I am thinking I can use white glue mixed with water... What ratio should I use?

Any other methods?

I plan to wet everything down with wet water first.

Assuming it's ground foam and ballast a simple 50/50 white glue and water will suffice... Don't forget to "wet" everything first with "wet" water. (water with a drop or two of dish soap)

Steve

Opps sorry.

Fine turf, blended turf. and real dirt.
Can I spray a leaner mix for this useing a standard spray bottle? I have not mixed it up yet. I am not sure if a 50 50 mix would spray.

I plan to use the eyedropper method on the ballast. 50/50 mix with white glue.

Last edited by a moderator:
50% elmers white glue
50% Water

you can do 60/40 mix if you want more glue down and less runny mess such as hillsides..

and buy a good spray bottle to mist with. the woodlands bottles are not good and leave droplets all over the place

Trent

Opps sorry.

Fine turf, blended turf. and real dirt.
Can I spray a leaner mix for this useing a standard spray bottle? I have not mixed it up yet. I am not sure if a 50 50 mix would spray.

I plan to use the eyedropper method on the ballast. 50/50 mix with white glue.

No problem. I had that same problem; the finger out thinks the mind! :)

The advice given in the posts above is spot on!

instead of wet water, use isoprpyl alcohol to dilute. It dries a lot faster and wets much better.

My method has been to spray a light mixture of yellow carpenter's glue, water, and two drops of dish detergent. The only time I use alcohol is to pre-wet ballast, but I use the same mixture of glue for the ballast. For one thing, a 5/1 mixture of water to glue will still dry hard. It is easily sprayed, and it does a good job of holding the ballast in a monolithic piece without making it a solid lump. Later, if you must to a track repair, you can easily bust it up with a metal tool, or you can soak it for five minutes and it will fall apart.

Others prefer to dilute something like Mod Podge or any other matte (not glossy!) medium. In that case, probably something like 3/1 or 4/1 in favour of the water.

Well I just finished up. I tried the 50/50 mix of glue in a spray bottle (Home Depot brand). I could not get it to shoot the mist as I could with wet water.
I tried to thin it way out and still no fine mist.
I bailed on that idea and used the dropper method for the whole thing. It took a long time but I'm happy with the results.

I have not started to ballast yet. I did't want to get any of the "weeds" on the ballast.

My experince is that the dropper method works much better than any spray bottle. You can control the flow and watch where the mixture is headed to make sure you get even coverage over the area. It is tedious but the final results will hold up for years instead of having pieces of the ground cover coming up constantly. I'm a 50/50 glue kind of guy but any of the formulas will work as long as you get complete, fully wetted coverage in the area.

Yea I agree with using the elmers bottle cap to distribute the glue. forgot to mention that..sorry. Use the spray bottle to mist water over the turf to soak it and help hold it down. then as the glue is poured over it. the glue will soak into the turf holding it to the surface.

I never had any luck with sprayed adhesive, if it is thin enough to spray, it is too thin to be strong. My point on the alcohol is that it replaces wet water in any application. Spray the alcohol with a pump bottle (old hairspray bottle is what i use), then use a dropper to place diluted (with alcohol) white glue.

spraying glue, even if you could get it thin enough, is going to get glue on surfaces that you really don't want it.

I spray 70% isopropyl with the home depot bottle to wet everything and then use the Testors pippetes to dispense the glue mixture 60/40 with a few drops of 70% isopropyl.

Funny, but I had no trouble whatsoever using your average garden variety sprayer, the bottle hand-held type, to spray my thin yellow glue solution which sprayed very nicely and that stuck the scenic foam very nicely when it was dry.

Back