altas lh turnout has been delivered

Rodney, you want to send me half a dozen Atlas LH Remote Turnouts? lol.

Pete V.

Checked on Amtrak and they do run from Rochester and stop in Springfield. When I checked availability (bedroom type) it was pretty limited even though it is still 10 months away. Will have to look at the dates for the Show and make a booking NOW, if the wife and I want to get there.

Compartments are pretty expensive on Amtrak. I lost the charm of it when they stopped having dining car service on the Cal Zephyr out of Denver some years back. Somehow microwaved cheeseburgers did not inspire me. I don't know how long that trip is to W. Springfield for you. The lakeshore used to be capable of going really slowly due to track conditions or so I've heard. Anytime you're on a train, it should be a good thing. I have picked people up on the W. Springfield station and it's conveniently located. There is a pretty big railyard right near the Big E.

Pete V.

The duration of the trip varies but on average seems to be around 7.5 hours in all. At the moment, the cost of a berth is around $200 from memory. From our perspective, this is worth while, due to a vehicle accident my wife and I were involved in 18 months ago, so the cost is secondary to me.

I am looking at the Acela Express which has a dinning car. That is always a plus in my books :)

It would be great if it's no longer the policy on Amtrak to not have prepared meals. I took the Zephyr on the very last day they were going to use the dining car anymore and that must have been 2006. When I was a kid and took the real zeyphr and the Superchief I have great memories of the thick french toast they served. I wound up dead heading on the American Orient Express back around 2005 out of Santa Fe as well and there were seven of us on the entire train. I wound up making Santa Fe Chief style french toast with powdered sugar for us as well as the Amtrak engineer which was the motive power for that train. we stopped the train outside Belin and we all piled out at a 7/11 and went in and got the stuff to make dinner. I am amazed at how carbon impacted the griddle gets on one of those dining cars. So, if there's fresh food served, that sounds fun. I get what you say about the accomodations being more important than the money. When I work in China, they fly me business class to Shanghai. very Sweet. They have a lot of steam engines over there. They still build four a week. The bullet train is a little faster though...

G'day Tony....Would love to but I reckon the international postage would scare you....Little Caboose Trains 2013 is the EBAY store. He also has an ONLINE store as well..As an Aussie , you'd know where Bundaberg in Queensland is...Great dealer..I bought two Double tunnel portals , $19.55 each , two Walthers Double track bridge abutments $15.10 each , two packs of Atlas rail joiners code 100...$ 6.50 each..and for my friend a box of 25 lengths of Peco flextrack...$115.59 and two Number 8 left hand Manual turnouts , also for my friend , for $22.09 each.
I paid for it all on my EBAY account last Sunday night at 8.30 pm...and all but the big box of track ..sent standard mail... arrived on Tuesday morning..Cost me $12.50 postage.
Track , according to AusPost Tracking should arrive tomorrow (Monday) From Queensland to Tasmania that quick is usual ,these days , not exceptional...Re the turnouts.. LC ..ran out briefly last year of some Atlas stuff but it's all back now and has been for a while ..Sorry to hear it's so hard to get these points as you need them..they must sell out nearly as soon as they come into hobby shops in the US.. Cheers Rod..

I recall some info from Atlas somewhere in railroad land that they would phase out Code 100 and go directly to code 83 which would reduce its costing and perhaps reduce its pricing to the public. What how where and what the problems and issues are I have no clue but I can wait, in the mean time I scrounge train shows for rare needed track I want, I find 1 or 2 pieces but it helps. I can build my own switches but I want the track detail that are on these turnouts. Central Valley makes some nice switch kits but they don't have #4 turnouts. If you need #5's or higher and don't mind some minor switch building they are very nice, I have them on a module which required some careful fitting and they worked.

Rodney,

Aussie Post sure has improved since I lived there :) As for Bundy - oh yeah, best Rum in the world and damn, do I miss it. International shipping charges are horrendous, to say the least, that's for sure.

With all the problems getting Atlas code 83 track here, with any consistency, I have decided to take it all up and replace it with Peco track. I have just order a pack of 25 at a reduced cost of $125:00 (plus tax and shipping of course) That equates to around $140:00 (AUD) at the moment, so your getting at $111 (AUD) is very cheap.

Back