Alabama - or, How I Spent My Summer Vacation

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Every few years my whole family heads down to Birmingham, Alabama to visit my sister-in-law and her family. What made this particular trip special was I got to visit three friends, members of the Alabama Rail Gang (ARG), that I've met on the Forum. It's great to finally meet people in person after you've chatted with them online for several years!

My first visit was with Eric M., known as "Grande Man", and his 13yr-old son Trey(sp?) whose forum handle is "Little Grande Man". In the group photo, that's me on the left, then Trey, then Eric. If you look real close at the window of the restaurant we were in front of, you'll see the phrase Fried Green Tomatoes - that was part of the set used in a movie of the same title during the early 1990's. It's actually the Irondale Cafe, right beside the throat tracks of the nearby NS yard.

3_Musketeers_at_IrondaleCafe.jpg

What made Alabama exciting to me was that, unlike Maryland, there are three Class I railroads serving the region: CSX, NS, and BNSF. Plus dozens of shortlines. And there are still many small trackside industries still served by rail along the main lines, something no longer found along CSX main lines in central Maryland.

Here's a few shots of trains that passed thru Irondale:

NS_3197_at_Irondale.jpg

Warbonnet_at_Irondale.jpg

UP_2693_at_Irondale.jpg

A propane dealer alongside the CSX main that still receives by rail - imagine that!

Trackside_Propane_Distributor.jpg

A road slug mated to a GP40-2 based in the town of Cullman, AL., to power the local that serves the various trackside industries.

CSX_2277_with_6405_at_Cullman_AL.jpg

My favorite location was Decatur, AL, near a lake formed by the Warrior River. There is a multi-span truss bridge owned by NS but also used by CSX, making for some dramatic photography. The first train we caught there was a northbound BNSF unit coal train:

BNSF_9143_atDecatur_AL.jpg

I was delighted to discover a DPU on the tail end:

BNSF_DPU_atDecatur_AL.jpg

A few minutes later, a southbound CSX passed thru (led by a leased unit):

Leased_unit_closeup_atDecatur_AL.jpg

But one of the main things I loved about Decatur was its busy industrial spur, which curves off sharply to the right in the photo below. [This validates my own track plan which includes a peninsula of trackside industries - goes to show there's a prototype for everything!]

Spur_at_Decatur.jpg

Eric suggested we visit the riverside park, so we did - and within five minutes this NS local appeared, shoving a string of tankers:

Tanker_string_at_Decatur.jpg

Two SD40-2's were pushing the train:

Shoving_tankers_at_Decatur.jpg

How's this for a unique grade crossing: Twin flashing crossbucks guarding the park walkway to the riverfront.

Decatur_park_pedestrian_crossing.jpg

The next day I visited Rex ["rexhea"] in Tuscaloosa, where we had lunch and did an op session on his layout which fills a four-car garage. Can you find Rex in the picture below?

Where_is_Rex.jpg

Here we are beside his newly-installed diesel servicing area:

Rex_and_me.jpg

On Friday I headed down to Prattville to visit with Jim ("UP2CSX"), who kept warning me that his layout would be a "disappointment" after Rex's... BULL! That thing was so packed with detail, I spent a few hours shooting photos at different angles - here's a twilight view of the downtown area:

Downtown_on_Jims_Layout.jpg

(Jim posted some of the other pics in last weekend's WPF thread.) Here's a mug shot of us:

Jim_and_me.jpg

I wish to extend my heartfelt thanks to Eric, Rex, and Jim - along with their wives - who each showed me what true Southern hospitality is all about! Hope I can return the favor some day if any of you find yourselves in the Baltimore-Washington area.

All I can say Ken is....WOW! Your description of your trip made me feel like I was there with you! if you got more pic's please post'um! I wish I had the extra cash to take the same trip!;) Grandeman, JR Grandeman, Rex and Jim, your layouts are awsome and I hope to see them one day! as for Jim, still waiting to see more pic's of your layout!;) :D It makes me more eager to get to work on my layout, as soon as funds come available!:D :D :D

Ken, what a wonderful way to spend a vacation! Great photos of what has to be a memorable experience with some great forum members. Thanks for sharing. (One of these days I'm going to have to go visit my relatives in Florida...... Wonder where it would be a good place to stop for a few days..... Hmmmmmm.....)

Glad to hear ya'll made it home OK Ken.

LGM and I had a great time on the railfanning trip! We covered a few miles didn't we? :cool: Still, there was a lot of other railfanning I wish we would have had time for. Maybe next time.

Here's a shot of the three amigos at Decautur.
2783926605_d571c912a6_o.jpg

Ken, what a wonderful way to spend a vacation! Great photos of what has to be a memorable experience with some great forum members. Thanks for sharing. (One of these days I'm going to have to go visit my relatives in Florida...... Wonder where it would be a good place to stop for a few days..... Hmmmmmm.....)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, there's several of us Florida Boys!:D my layout ain't fit for looking at! but the rail fanning is great down here!

Ken, it was terrific to meet you in person. I'm glad my layout wasn't too hokey looking. You got some great prototype photos with Eric and his son. Nothing quite so good down here, unfortunately. As for Rex, well, I can only dream about having that kind of space and making it look as good as he does.

There are a bunch of us in Alabama and Florida. Maybe we can all get together one of these days for some railfanning too.

All I can say Ken is....WOW! Your description of your trip made me feel like I was there with you! if you got more pic's please post'um! I wish I had the extra cash to take the same trip!;) Grandeman, JR Grandeman, Rex and Jim, your layouts are awsome and I hope to see them one day! as for Jim, still waiting to see more pic's of your layout!;) :D ...

Chris, did you happen to see these other layout pix Jim posted in last weekend's WPF? Here they are:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91057&postcount=51

There was no need [let alone time] for me to photograph Grande Man's layout, it's already very well documented in this virtual tour: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1876

Rex mentioned that he plans to publish his own Virtual Tour soon, and that Eric will be shooting the photos - so I didn't see any point of duplicating that effort.

Glad to hear ya'll made it home OK Ken. ... Still, there was a lot of other railfanning I wish we would have had time for. Maybe next time...
Well Eric, as long as my SIL and my wife remain on speaking terms, I should be getting down there at least every 2-3 years!

Ken, it was terrific to meet you in person. ...
There are a bunch of us in Alabama and Florida. Maybe we can all get together one of these days for some railfanning too.

Same here Jim. The ARG have gone on railfan outings and posted the pix on here, that's what led me to ask Eric to take me on a train chasing trip!

Great shots! Especially with the crossing signals on a pedestrian walkway, that is something you don't see everyday!

If you all consider a South Alabama shortline tour i can help :D. But other than that I'm relatively useless!

Hi Ken and everyone! Ken, I really enjoyed meeting you and having you at my home. I wish we had more time, but you were pretty well stretched as it was. Hopefully, you will be able to repeat the visit and perhaps we can get some Alabama Rail Gang over at the same time. Now that is a BLAST!;)

Anyone passing through the area is always welcome. Jim, you are next, so gas-up and get ready. :)

Rex, I know what ya Do'in!!!!!

Jim, U show up and he hands you a box of detailing items for you to put on his layout!:eek: Your going to be cheap labor(Ola Jim, Viva La Rasa);) I had a friend do that to me once, I made him buy me lunch and dinner! man, can i put a way the food and beer!LOL's ;) :rolleyes: :p J/King

Sounds fun wish I could make it;) :D :) :D :)

Hi Ken and everyone! Ken, I really enjoyed meeting you and having you at my home.
Same here, Rex - Alabama's a fine state and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of retiring there. Except I don't believe Vicky would be too thrilled about it though...

BTW - check yer mailbox!

Ken- thanks for sharing the photos. I have been to many of the same places you went. I just didn't see the rail traffic you photographed.

The Irondale Cafe (pronounced I-ron-dough-lay by the locals) is a great railfan spot. There is always some activity in and out of the CSX Norris yards in Irondale, especially when the trains stack up longer than the holding tracks.

I saw switchers moving freight cars on and off the mains one afternoon in between through trains. They had to move out to the Irondale cafe to get the cars transferred to a holding track emptied from the Atlanta side of the yards.

Thanks to Eric, Jim and Rex for sharing their time and hospitality with you and indirectly to all of us.

The pictures of the Decatur bridge bring back some sweet memories of when I was dating my wife.;) ;)

Think I'll go back and look at those pictures again!
Mikey

Back