adhesive for loose bulk loads

dalehenigman

Hi all. Am making a scrap aluminum load for a gondola. have a wood block w/ foil on top, to within about 1/8 in of top edge of car. I have little bits of aluminum (about 1/4 in size) to spread or sprinkle on top of this up to the top of car. I would like to know a good adhesive to use to keep little bits in place and so as not to see the glue. maybe to spray on. Thanks....Dale

For a quarter inch in size, you could always dip them in white glue and apply one by one. For smaller bulk material, I glue it down the same as ballast - by flooding it with diluted white glue.

Mark.

Dale:

This might not work for you.....but it might.

All of my gondola/open top hopper loads (scale coal, rock, iron ore, sand, etc.) are made with green florist-type styrofoam (no weight) found at Hobby Lobby. I then lightly cover the styrofoam top (which I shape in a slightly rounded fashion) with Elmers glue (dries clear), turn the styrofoam "block"upside down, and push it into a pile of HO scale coal or rock or etc. I turn it back over to let it cure, and before the glue dries I use a pair of rail cutters to trim around the edges of the load. This method makes perfect loads, they are easy to put in and take out of the railcars, and if your train has a wreck there is no spill mess to clean up.

This method might work with your aluminum foil if it is secured (glued) to your wood block. Just use a very light covering of glue that dries clear for your aluminum scrap.

If this works you could make yourself a unit train of your aluminum scrap loads. And if you use styrofoam instead of wood there would be almost NO added weight for your engine(s) to pull. :)

DougC

Even better along with doug's idea is to use a pressurized can of spray adheizeive.
Can't spell this morning, but the one I have is made by 3M.

Sherrel:

"Even better along with doug's idea is to use a pressurized can of spray adheizeive." Excellent idea.

"adheizeive" - glad to see you're learning the Russian language - might need it some day. :)

Sherrel - I hate to say it but your Dad was right. It's shxx not sh*# you dummy! Doug

[I think we're both sounding like a couple of Missouri hillbillys. Oh, darn it, I AM a Missouri hillbilly - I grew up 6 miles from the highest point in Missouri - Taum Sauk Mountain.]

Back