Adding Ditchlights

slopes09

Alright, I've got my Athearn RTR GP60M. It's almost everything I want it to be, except for one thing: it doesn't have operating ditchlights.

I've looked everywhere, but I can't find any articles on the subject of adding them. How would one go about doing this? Would you be able to somehow insert bulbs into there? Or would it require cutting those inoperable ditchlights out and putting new operating ditchlights in?

If it's the second, any advice on how to get over a fear of cutting up your favorite locomotive?

Thanks,
-Mike

U might want to think about putting 9" or 12" (depending on the shortest U find) cold cathode tubes, that are used in backlights for notebooks, I don't know if they are to scale, but you can place one on each side and mask, with masking tape or black electrical tape, the places where you don't wand light. These emit white light equivalent to neon tubes, which I guess they will be more realistic, and also ditches need bright light and they are not short either, so I think they will fit on the side.

They come in various sizes

CCFL01.jpg

lcd-backlight.jpg

My apologies guys, I went out of point there, my mind was thinking about the service pit :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Either Details West or Detail Associates has pre-assembled ditch lights with the bulbs in them. Can't remember which company right now.

So, I chatted with maxi last night, being he is not from the US, he had no clue what you meant by ditch lights! You've got a few options here. I like the accurate lighting one linked, or just buying an Athearn Genesis ditch light set (they can be found on eBay and Horizon Hobby's website). Details west makes a kit with a bulb, but does not tell you the voltage of the bulbs. They also make bulbless packages. Detail Associates ALSO make bulbless packages, but I'm not sure if they have one with bulbs. Miniatronics has bulbs that can be used.
http://www.miniatronics.com/

I've used the genesis ditch light set for the sd70 series and they work/look great on any EMD unit. If you put a 4 function dcc decoder in the unit, just use 2 functions for the ditch lights to flash when F2 is pressed to simulate when the horn is blowing.

I'm running DC, but the GP60M has that circuit board on top of the engine which it currently uses for directional lighting (possibly for more than that though). Could I just splice it into there somehow? If it's complex electronics, I could probably find an electrical engineer in my dorm and have them show me how to do it.

I'm running DC, but the GP60M has that circuit board on top of the engine which it currently uses for directional lighting (possibly for more than that though). Could I just splice it into there somehow? If it's complex electronics, I could probably find an electrical engineer in my dorm and have them show me how to do it.

The board on top has the 9 pin plug for dcc, correct? With the shell off, and the front of the loco facing away from you, the wiring is as follows:
the top row: left=left rail pick up, the 2 middle wire sets, 1 + and 1 -, feed the front headlights (heres where you tie in the Genesis series (cause they are 1.5v like the rest of the athearn lights)ditch lights for constant illuminosity, 1 wire from each light per side), and the right wire= right rail pickup. If you were to use other bulbs not rated at 1.5 volts, then I would suggest you tie them in at the left and right rail pickups.
Since your running dc, I imagine theres someone here who can come up with a circuit to make the ditch lights alternate.:cool:
heres the link for the sd70 ditch light set from Horizon, Josh's link from another topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
can decoders be applied to all locos? and where can good and cheap ones be found?
Decoders can applied to almost any loco. Some easier than others. Some locos are dcc ready, meaning the motor is insulated from the chassis. Some locos have to be made dcc ready, such as Athearn Blue Box engines. As per cost of decoders, its all depending on what you want the engines to do, as well as lighting effects, as to the cost.

The SD70 ditchlights would almost work perfectly, but unfortunately they don't match the GP60M's ditchlights. Do they make any kits similar to the Genesis one(i.e. just the ditchlights and not a fancy board)? Either that or would it be possible to somehow add corners to the rounded SD70 ditchlights?

I'm mostly curious because this would probably be the cheapest option, and as a college student, I am continuously broke.

the bulbs slide out of the round frames, and more than likely will slide into the ones that are on the gp60's anticlimber. You will probably have to drill holes in the bottom of the anitclimber and into the pilot area, just below the anitclimber, to run the wiring into the shell. The original genesis sd70 ditch light kits have the square boxed lights.

The SD70 ditchlights would almost work perfectly, but unfortunately they don't match the GP60M's ditchlights. Do they make any kits similar to the Genesis one(i.e. just the ditchlights and not a fancy board)? Either that or would it be possible to somehow add corners to the rounded SD70 ditchlights?

I'm mostly curious because this would probably be the cheapest option, and as a college student, I am continuously broke.

the bulbs slide out of the round frames, and more than likely will slide into the ones that are on the gp60's anticlimber. You will probably have to drill holes in the bottom of the anitclimber and into the pilot area, just below the anitclimber, to run the wiring into the shell. The original genesis sd70 ditch light kits have the square boxed lights.

Exactly as ThoroughBreed says, they'll slide out of the casting. Horizon also has the bulbs, sans ditch light casting. They fit well in a Details West ditch light casting, the one that comes with bulbs...

cn5606_11.jpg

Details west, with Athearn 1.5v bulbs, sorry about the CA fogging, that was corrected later.

Alright, thanks a lot everyone! This has been extremely helpful.

One last question, though. What's the best way to chop those old ditchlight mounts without damaging everything else?

Well the best way is using a blowtorch and melt em down :p "JOKE" :p :D

First better take a look from inside of the shell and check if they were attached to the shell itself or if it a single mould. If they are attached I would reccomend to use a drill bit, slightly smaller in diameter then the light pin, and drill its way out and at the same time making the hole for the new light. If its moulded, I would get a new, sharp knife ( blade ) and slowly cut them out, watching not to scratch the surrounding paint.

Well, if they're plastic, a nice sharp blade will do the trick, just watch those fingers! I recommend buying a thimble to protect the "stopping" finger.

Are the ditch lights in the SD40-2 placed on the deck as well?
Pretty much. The unit I posted has both front & rear, most only have the front. Check the prototype so you'll know where they should be, some units have them on the pilot, some on the walkway.

im glad someone posted a link to that first site. Give's me options now. I want to add ditch lites to most of my loco's.

Will I have any problems using them without DCC?

im glad someone posted a link to that first site. Give's me options now. I want to add ditch lites to most of my loco's.

Will I have any problems using them without DCC?

To use the athearn ditch light kit, on dc, with an athearn unit that has the dcc ready board use these instructions:

The board on top has the 9 pin plug for dcc, correct? With the shell off, and the front of the loco facing away from you, the wiring is as follows:
the top row: left=left rail pick up, the 2 middle wire sets, 1 + and 1 -, feed the front headlights (heres where you tie in the Genesis series (cause they are 1.5v like the rest of the athearn lights)ditch lights for constant illuminosity, 1 wire from each light per side), and the right wire= right rail pickup. If you were to use other bulbs not rated at 1.5 volts, then I would suggest you tie them in at the left and right rail pickups.
Since your running dc, I imagine theres someone here who can come up with a circuit to make the ditch lights alternate.

To use them on any other unit, you will require resistors to break down the voltage, as these are 1.5v bulbs. You would just tie them into the feeds from the rails, 1 leg per side.:cool:

Back