Adding an SP light cluster

meanjean

I picked up an Athearn RTR SD40. Missing a few critical details from the real thing. Some I can add easily and some dont seem so easy. Specifically the SP light cluster on the nose and rear.
I have the nose light and know where to go for the rear 5 light cluster.

Here is the question, how hard is it to add the nose light? Im scared to cut into a perfectly good model and screw it up! :eek:
Suggestions or pics from those who have attempted this task would be greatly appreciated. Rather learn from your mistakes or triumphs.

Jerome I know you have some crazy skills at this, whats your thought on the best way to proceed?

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad, it's not that hard really. Lay the nose light assembly on top of the short hood, mark your lines for width (tape works good for this) do the same for the downward measurement length . Then using a very sharp new X-Acto blade, start cutting away. Start in the center, take your time with small cuts, and work your way out to the tape. Stop and check for fit often!!! The hardest part will be matching that particular SP scarlet paint. Each manufacturer seems to use a different shade. The rear light is all available from Details West.

Jerome, is that how one would do a patch out headlight on a model without a nose headlight to begin with? I want to model some Pan Am SD40-2s that were ex HLCX (UP/SP heritage) and most of them have patched out nose headlights with the notch still present.

X2 with above. If you take your time its not hard at all. I add a lot of Detail West and Associate parts to Athearn RTR and Blue box all the time and it works out great. I think the hardest part of the whole process will be, like said above is matching the paint, and getting the lamps mounted just right.

Yes, cut out the area, take the Details West headlight cluster and cut out the actual lights they molded in. Not that hard again.

Then using a very sharp new X-Acto blade, start cutting away. Start in the center, take your time with small cuts, and work your way out to the tape. Stop and check for fit often!!!

Shouldnt I drill small holes first then start cutting? Seems it may be easier to start out that way?

For the rear 5 light and the factory light in place does Details West make basiclly the next 2 lights up and Pyle Light that goes WITH the factory light?

Am I talking cirlces here?
Can I use any factory light holes for the rear light or do I have to cut it off and start over from scratch with the Details West light?
Not sure if the Athearn lights are in the correct location to start with for a 5 light cluster. I didnt see the top 3 lights that are sideways in DW catalog. I may have to buy HL-115 and 116 then mount to a small section of plastic as the mounting location?

Chad, you can start by drilling a hole first if you like. I just start by cutting out the tip of the nose, either way will work. As for the back light cluster, take a look at these parts on the Details West page and this light bracket from Detail Associates. The one or two of the first 6 sets of DW lights should get you everything you'll need.

http://www.1stplacehobbies.com/cgi-bin/p_229-1021_n.asp

http://www.detailswest.com/Details West Catalog 2007.pdf

Can I see a picture of the rear of the Athearn unit you have?

Ill have to take a picture of the rear end. Dont think you can see how the lights are set up. The earlier post I edited but you already answered my questions with the link for the light mount.

After looking at the light mount I dont see how that would match the 1-1 scale? Maybe its the very poor picture on the website?

Chad, once you cut off the rear factory lights (or trim them flush), add that bracket and new light clusters, I think you'll have it made. You can assemble that entire rear light cluster, drill the holes for the lights and paint it before you even mount it.

Chad, here's the basic light package you'll need for that rear light. Want me to send you a care package??? ;) Heck, I could even drill out the holes and paint it before I send it.

100_1456-1.jpg

Thats exactly what I need. Perfect. You should mass produce those since most places dont have a ready to go unit. Well maybe not mass produce.
I need to increase my stock on hand. I think your the only guy I know who would have all that readily available.

That is awesome! you dont mess around. With some weathering I think the colors will be close enough for railroad work!

Had some more time due to snow and started the nose light. Its ok, not as clean looking as I hoped but then again, im probably the only one who will notice the flaws. (looks slightly crooked to me) Used some putty to fill the small gaps around the light. After some dusting and touchup paint it should work fine. The minor flaws are better to look at then the entire light not being there at all. Next step, rear 5 light cluster.

Where can I get a red lense for the Pyle light?

Chad, you did a real good job there. Has a slight lean in it, but no worries unless you have someone looking straight down the tracks at it. MV Products makes red lenses that would work for the top light.

Thinks it even worth attempting to fix? Im pretty OCD so it will probabaly bug me. Dont want to ruin it though with an attempt to fix it. On second thought, Ill touch up and the paint and see how it looks before I tear it apart.

Back