A memorial in a confined space

fmjnax

A friend of my wife suddenly passed away and while his sister was taking care of his estate she found a large tote full of train items. I only briefly ever met the fellow and never knew that he was in to trains (if I did know, we probably would have been more like friends!). My wife mentioned to his sister that I have a train room and after some talking, the sister insisted that I take the tote of stuff [we are in TX, she is from Alaska. She did not have time to handle any sort of estate sale]. He was building a collection of stuff, but never had the time or space to do anything with it, so he just stashed it away. Anyway, I am getting off track here.

In the tote (among many other items) I found a brand new, never opened Althearn Genesis GP38-2, a few rolling stock, and a Digitrax DCS51. Being that my train room is all N scale, I don't really have a use for anything HO. I'm sure I could sell these things and make a couple hundred dollars, but that would just be wrong. I am thinking that I need to memorialize the items and the gesture, of sorts. I don't have a lot of space for an HO layout, so I'm thinking a simple shelf switcher or maybe something like a double-track that I can run on a shelf around the room or a few walls. My N scale layout is a mountainous, continuous loop, steam-era logging layout so I know next to nothing about HO flat diesel switchers, thus why I am here.

I'm here for some ideas, maybe some references to look at, or any other advice. Basically, a starting point to get this rolling.

20161107_162346.png

It's noble of you to want to keep things as a tribute!
I'd go with a shelf switching layout, just a few switches and industries for fun.
Could lead to bigger things later.....

It does not sound like you have a real interest in this project . If it were me I would sell it all then send the proceeds to the widow. If you sell them you can be assured that the items fetch a fair price for what they are , not sold for a dollar a box at the local yard sale. With sudden passings there are usually lots of expenses that were not prepared for yet.

It's a nice thought and shows class on your part. That said, you are not obligated to use it, pass it on to a worthy at little or no cost and spread the good vibes, let them know where it came from and they can thank him by running the stuff.

You may give birth to someone's "Empire", now THAT would be a nice Memorial.

If you were to give it away or donate it somewhere, be choosy. Be sure that the gift will be appreciated, because so often in that scenario, the receiver may not be encouraged at all, and the models will not be valued as they deserve. Considering the price of that loco and how your wife's friend valued them, obvious from how they were stored, I hope you can make use of them. There are lots of shelf layout designs and plans viewable on a Google search for ideas. Good luck with the project.

It does not sound like you have a real interest in this project . If it were me I would sell it all then send the proceeds to the widow. If you sell them you can be assured that the items fetch a fair price for what they are , not sold for a dollar a box at the local yard sale. With sudden passings there are usually lots of expenses that were not prepared for yet.

I second Jim's idea

Now there's a good question, was he married?
If his sister is handling things he may not have been.

Back