A little help with passenger cars, please

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I'm not a passenger train expert by any means. LGM has a 5 car train of Athearn Heavyweights. What upgrades need to be done to them? Does anyone offer interiors, wheelsets, light kits, etc? :confused:

HaggisKennedy

Coal Shoveler
Are these the shorty ones?

Palace Car Co. in Kearney NE offers interior kits. They are pricey, though; up to $20 per set.

As far as wheelsets go, you can use any 36" wheelsets. I've been using the Proto 2K ones.

I body-mount Kadee couplers, and use the cheapie IHC diaphragms.

Kennedy

Kennedy

enjineerbill

Avid People Watcher
HaggisKennedy said:
Are these the shorty ones?

Palace Car Co. in Kearney NE offers interior kits. They are pricey, though; up to $20 per set.

As far as wheelsets go, you can use any 36" wheelsets. I've been using the Proto 2K ones.

I body-mount Kadee couplers, and use the cheapie IHC diaphragms.

Kennedy

Kennedy

Ditto

Johnny

lginc

That FM guy
grande man, on my passenger cars i use the IHC interiors(modify them if i have to), the IHC diaphragms(yes they are cheap, but look REAL NICE), and for the interior lights, i use the Kato N scale interior lights. by using the N scale lights i find it easier to hide them, and i think the lighting looks more realistic from the outside;). -Dean

HaggisKennedy

Coal Shoveler
As far as price goes, you can't beat the IHC ones. I have a whole pile of them, but I use them in the IHC cars. I haven't modified them to the Athearns. Dunno if I'll ever do that. I don't have that many Athearn shortys anyway.

Kennedy

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.