A few ideas for a small switching layout

Pierluk

Hello Everyone!
Due to my complete lack of space and skills (mostly skills), I'm currently considering in my little head building a small switching layout (or shunting - it depends on where you live). I read this fabulous site from A to Z:
I can build a 1' x 5' layout. All your comments, ideas and advices will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
My advice, take it slow and keep it simple. Ask questions, read much.
Were I to start again I’d go with a switching layout on a shelf, one or two high end locos, and go heavy on details and scenery.
I’m afraid it’s too late for me, save yourself! 😝

Welcome to the Forum, a shelf layout would be ideal for the space you have available, you haven't said which scale you prefer, but can I suggest looking at N scale as this will give you more opportunity for switching/shunting operations as well as decent scale scenery opportunities

Thanks for your inputs. I found a lot of infos here:

I went with a switching layout due to space also. Basically a branch line that has another branch line coming off of it. I enjoy the scenery and structure building more than the actual operations.

Keep it simple or you will get frustrated and burned out.

After hours and hours of hard work, I finally managed to draw the track plan of my project.

SWL 000_3D.jpg

If you can angel one track, say the back one, away from the others it will add much visual appeal.
Maybe along a loading dock or even into a building thru a large door.
This will give the illusion of actually going somewhere and needing to switch cars.
You’ve got a decent lead track there, could add a bridge, road crossing, or an under/over pass if you’d like.
I like it!

After hours and hours of hard work, I finally managed to draw the track plan of my project.

View attachment 176514
This is a pic of my small layout at the very start of scenicing and when complete. it started as an Inglenook but I decided to add some trackage. But just angleing your lead track at the left and a bit of space on the tracks at the right of your plan will add visual interest. https://photos.smugmug.com/Trackplans/i-T3KxdnD/0/88fcf092/L/2018060512534337-DSCN1158-L.jpg

Hello Everyone!
Due to my complete lack of space and skills (mostly skills), I'm currently considering in my little head building a small switching layout (or shunting - it depends on where you live). I read this fabulous site from A to Z:
I can build a 1' x 5' layout. All your comments, ideas and advices will be greatly appreciated.
I love your Avitar! (I think that is what it is called)

B&O Chessie is one of my favorites!

I forgot to mention that.

Back