A beginner's layout

Hi, gang. I haven't checked in with the forum or done anything on the layout in quite a while. I'm not going to turn this into a thread on my health but I will say, only as an explanation, my health issues have occupied and continue to occupy a lot of my time and money. That being said I am recently back to work almost full time and hope to be able to progress on the layout soon. Probably start again with minor (inexpensive) projects as I build the old savings account back up :)

Looking forward to spending some time looking at all I missed around the forum!

Hi, all. As I've mentioned in an effort to explain my absence from the forum in the past I have had health and subsequent money problems. This again is the explanation for my long hiatus. It's a chronic disease that I thought was more under control than it was apparently. But enough about that.

I expect money will be an issue for some time so the next few projects will be small and spaced out over time I suspect.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you'll see a bridge scene. It was pointed out my abutments are functional but not very realistic. Since then I've wondered what the best way to modify them would be but I think I'm just going to replace them. I found a Chooch abutment I like for not a lot of money. I'll order them but I expect the offset of bridge shoes to bottom of ties is unlikely to be correct out of the package but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it....pun intended :)

Thanks, guys.

Things were going pretty fast the first several months (for me anyway) but things have slowed lately.
Work will be in fits and spasms, time of year, commitments elswehere, money,you name it, just leave the items for when you get back in good order, I just looked at the first page and you are doing waaay better than I did first time around, and I did not see any screaming mistakes either. Share with this guys and they’ll give hints and tips, and help with questions…bliss.
Plus on this forum to date I have not seen any uppity, so you should have a relaxed time here and support. enjoy (I know this is a bit late :D) but hey better .ate than never. Lol

Added…just seen your last entry, health is a BIG issue, I have seen many people pop in and out, IF you feel bad because you want your thread to be about the .ayout and would like to moan about your health, come check out the coffee shop loads of us pass the day and chat about loads of subjects health often an issue with one or other of us, Mel will provide psychological coffee and cake, or a full English breakfast :D check it out :)

Hi, all. As I've mentioned in an effort to explain my absence from the forum in the past I have had health and subsequent money problems. This again is the explanation for my long hiatus. It's a chronic disease that I thought was more under control than it was apparently. But enough about that.

I expect money will be an issue for some time so the next few projects will be small and spaced out over time I suspect.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you'll see a bridge scene. It was pointed out my abutments are functional but not very realistic. Since then I've wondered what the best way to modify them would be but I think I'm just going to replace them. I found a Chooch abutment I like for not a lot of money. I'll order them but I expect the offset of bridge shoes to bottom of ties is unlikely to be correct out of the package but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it....pun intended :)
Glad to see your back, yes health is always an issue, always better to let the hobby take a back seat, when that happens, and if your not well, it does place a financial restraint on what you can and can't do, but again very happy to see your return. :)

Added…just seen your last entry, health is a BIG issue, I have seen many people pop in and out, IF you feel bad because you want your thread to be about the .ayout and would like to moan about your health, come check out the coffee shop loads of us pass the day and chat about loads of subjects health often an issue with one or other of us, Mel will provide psychological coffee and cake, or a full English breakfast :D check it out :)
Thanks! Moaning about my health is the last thing I want to do, I only mention to explain my absence...again :( There are forums for those who do want to connect with others with a given disease but I much prefer this one! :)

Well, just had a look at my old Atlas bridge for which I want to get (or make) new abutments....there are no bridge shoes :oops: I built it so long ago I don't know why this is.

I have to get shoes so I know the offset between the shoe support and the bottom of the ties. Especially if I'm going to make them (and I'm leaning in that direction).

I found some bridge shoes online but don't know if they're compatible with the Atlas bridge. I also found a Walthers "Bridge Shoes & Adapter Kit". Any thoughts?

Thanks

Well, just had a look at my old Atlas bridge for which I want to get (or make) new abutments....there are no bridge shoes :oops: I built it so long ago I don't know why this is.

I have to get shoes so I know the offset between the shoe support and the bottom of the ties. Especially if I'm going to make them (and I'm leaning in that direction).

I found some bridge shoes online but don't know if they're compatible with the Atlas bridge. I also found a Walthers "Bridge Shoes & Adapter Kit". Any thoughts?

Thanks
I didn't even know Walthers did adapter kits.

Slow is good, take a while to get back into the swing of things anyway, what's the rush :)
You’re absolutely right. I started this thing exactly three years ago and the track work isn’t even complete 😃. Just haven’t made any progress for quite some time so I’m a little impatient to see some new work

You’re absolutely right. I started this thing exactly three years ago and the track work isn’t even complete 😃. Just haven’t made any progress for quite some time so I’m a little impatient to see some new work
You'll get there, at least by taking time your more likely to have trackwork that works first time, unlike me who rushed it and pretty much had to start all over again. But yeah, when you have the nagging in you head to run trains, or more trackwork, it's hard to ignore.

I didn’t either and not even sure what it is 😃
Apparently it's this.

1680653239293.png

I’d be willing to do that. Any ideas?
I would say hop on the net, and images of bridge shoes that fit what you're trying to accomplish.

Find materials and start a build thread so others cab help guide you along as well.

If that fails than Smudge has found shoes in kit form as a last resort. I'm sure there our other kits available as well.

Back