9-40cw questions

Your asking if they are any external differences right?

Off the top of my head i dont believe so, but im sure that there are.

There are no external differences on the D9-40CW,and D9-44CW,except for the headlight. The Athearn C44-9W would be perfect to use for an D9-40CW.

The difference between a Dash9-44CW and a Dash9-40CW is that NS re rated the 9 -44 as a 4,000hp unit instead of 4,400 hp.

A talented guy on Youtube named NSModeler24 or something like that did a very good job on a 5 part series about how to convert a C44-9w to a C40-9w. I think he converted a Kato SP C44-9W to a NS C40-9W. He does it step by step. Just do a search on youtube for C40-9w conversion and it should come up.

Ah, very nice. I never interacted with him, but his video series were a great help to me in repainting a SD40-2 from BN colors to NS. (there's a thread about it in "Showing off". Talented guy, no doubt.

No chance youd want to do the conversion yourself? I found it alot of fun and it built up my confidence/skill set in the hobby.

Nobody makes a correct NS Dash 9-40CW. The 44 and 40 have the same carbody as the horsepower output is software governed.

NS likes to high mount everything, headlights and ditch lights. The only engines with low mount ditch lights are the ex-conrail units and the gensets which didn't have a high mount option.

so i got a hold of nsmodeler24 and he says he does this conversion for people at a reasonable price. ill probably have him do it in a few months

as for painting it myself, i have no problem painting and i agree that the NS scheme is easy, its the noselight relocation that i dont think im ready for

Its pretty easy to convert the headlights,from the nose to above the windscreen. I did three AC4400,s last year, starting with undecorated Athearn locos. I used a little square of plastic to fill the original headlight depression, then drilled two fresh holes to mount the moulded headlights in the roofline.
Ron

I converted two of the old Athearn BB Dash 9's back in the late 90's. Did the same as Ron did with the headlights. The other thing I did was alter the air tank mounts and fuel tanks. They aren't 100% prototypical, but they worked for me.

Couple of rough pics. :eek:

Back