53' Reefer make over

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Afternoon All,

The other day I bought a 53' Reefer, for no particular reason other than to have. Thought it needed a "make over" so here it is, one side anyway:

Before:

IMG_1487_zps75f31b5c.jpg

After (opposite side):

IMG_1488_zps23dfde86.jpg

A simple paint scheme but I think it came out okay.

Looks great. Simple is good as many trucking companies will tell you. Easier to keep looking good when any repairs are needed.

Afternoon All,

The other day I bought a 53' Reefer, for no particular reason other than to have. Thought it needed a "make over" so here it is, one side anyway:

Before:

IMG_1487_zps75f31b5c.jpg

After (opposite side):

IMG_1488_zps23dfde86.jpg

A simple paint scheme but I think it came out okay.

Ok? I agree that it looks great!

Thanks guys, think I am getting the hang of using the air brush and Tru Color.

Louis, your not sure though?

Tony I am positive it looks great! I love the scheme and the colors are perfect!

I was questioning you thinking it "came out okay"

I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, if you letter it "BGR Piggyback Service" I will buy it! It would look great on a flatcar or behind a tractor.

You really did a great job, it looks real.

Louis,

Thanks, I misunderstood. If you really do like it that much, I'm more than happy for you to have it. At the end of the day, it is too big for my layout anyway. Just let me know how you want the "BGR Piggyback Service" font type, colors etc and I'll gladly do it for you.

Alan,

Not doubting you but, I love chrome :)

That is very nice of you Tony!

I would prefer to pay a fair price to at least cover your time and expenses.

Let me think, what font? Ok, I'll just tap into my creativity... oh wait I don't have any creativity!

Alan, Not doubting you but, I love chrome :)

I do too...on muscle cars ;) You don't see any chrome wheels on Semis though, except maybe at truck shows and on a few rare Peterbilts. Aluminum is more common though still scarce. Remember, these things work for a living!

I do too...on muscle cars ;) You don't see any chrome wheels on Semis though, except maybe at truck shows and on a few rare Peterbilts. Aluminum is more common though still scarce. Remember, these things work for a living!

Aluminum wheels?? Actually they are quite common. They save quite a bit of weight... And in trucking weight represents two different things... A. You can haul more weight in the trailer... B. Less weight means less mass which means less fuel.... Both of which mean money.

Wombat.. If you are making that a reefer trailer, you will have to strap a refeer unit to the front of it. I saw you had some in your other thread about stuff you bought. It also needs a fuel tank under the trailer. The fuel tanks ride behind the landing gear on the drivers side of trailer.

The paint job looks really good.

That's funny, I used to haul those things and I never noticed the missing reefer unit!
As for the chrome wheels, you should be able to simulate aluminum with some dull cote?
There are polished aluminum wheels that are pretty close to that Chrome shine.

That's funny, I used to haul those things and I never noticed the missing reefer unit!
As for the chrome wheels, you should be able to simulate aluminum with some dull cote?
There are polished aluminum wheels that are pretty close to that Chrome shine.

Im working for a 3pl company... I have to start and check 40-50 of them a shift. Unfortunately.. I have become VERY acquainted with them...

Aluminum wheels?? Actually they are quite common. They save quite a bit of weight... And in trucking weight represents two different things... A. You can haul more weight in the trailer... B. Less weight means less mass which means less fuel.... Both of which mean money.

Really? Well if you say so. I'm much more of a train guy than a truck guy. Most of what I see on the roads is so dirty you can't tell what it is, which is the reason for my original statement. Beautiful shiny wheels might last part of a trip and that's about it. I also model an earlier era. As to your weight and fuel thoughts, I very much doubt there is enough weight savings to amount to a hill of beans. Aluminum has only about 66% of the tensile strength of steel (less if you weld it), so aluminum wheels are thicker than their steel counterparts. I have handled both over the years, and not noticed any appreciable weight difference once there is a tire on the rim.

Back