4x8 HO Layout Idea - What do you think?

GEXR

Hello all,

I know a few of you will cringe at the thought of yet another 4x8 design, so just consider this an 8x4!

The top half is rural with one/two wooden grain elevators to be surrounded with wheat fields. The bottom is a small downtown with some small industries. The positioning of buildings and scenery is just to give a rough idea of how the layout interacts with the environment. I tried to make the design file as self-explanatory as possible. Here are some additional notes:

There are two railroads, a Class-1 and a shortline, that interchange at the top next to the elevators. On the right, the two lines span a small river/creek, the wealthier class-1 having a modern plate-girder bridge and the shortline having old wooden pile trestles. I hope to continue this idea by guarding the class-1's grade crossings with lights and the shortline's only with crossbucks. At the bottom is a two-track yard with a third track doubling as an industrial spur and an engine track.
I am not quite sure what to do at the end of the yard. I want a less-than-carload dock that can handle a single 40' boxcar but I am also considering a ramp where van trailers can be positioned onto flat cars. Also, the end of this spur could be shared between the LTC dock and a small manufacturing firm.

Please have a look and feel free to tear it apart! This forum is a wealth of ideas so please share yours. Thanks.

-James

I'm not opposed to 4x8, but there better be a good reason for it. Like mobility or storage.

Looks like you've got 0 grades, #4 turnouts, and 18" radii? 10 varying yard tracks, two run arounds, and still plenty of room for buildings and stuff. What's the clearance between your adjacent tracks? Looks kind of tight.

It could offer lots of back and forth switching while avoiding a 'main line' train running on the loop.
________
Marijuana vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator:
James:

Quote: Know a few of you will cringe at the thought of yet another 4x8 design, so just consider this an 8x4!

Made me chuckle out loud. Good one; two thumbs up (both mine)!

DougC

Thanks for the replies.

The curves are minimum 18" with Atlas #4 Customline turnouts and there are no grades. I tried to fit #6 turnouts for the points coming off the mainline but they just wouldn't fit! Some things may change but for now the design is conceptual. Admittedly, the clearances between the yard tracks are tight but, again, things will be tweaked later to make everything work.

I basically wanted a layout that can accommodate a wealth of switching activities, made easier by the run arounds, that can also handle continuous running. I also want some car/engine storage. I anticipate four-axle diesels with mostly 40' cars, maybe some longer covered hoppers.

So can anyone identify any potential problems; operational, electrical etc.? Does this look like a layout with something to offer? I am rather green on the topic of layout design/construction so any feedback is welcome!

Thanks!

-James

P.S. DougC, I'm glad this post was at least enough to make ya chuckle! haha

There's no reversing option, which is probably a non-issue.

Your clearances likely need a touch more space.

How many cars can you fit in each yard track and still get past them on the turnout end?

I think it looks like loads of fun.
________
Rhode Island Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice 8X4. :D

I really like how the town and industries are set up, reminds me of small towns near where I live. 4x8 is a bit restrictive, but with that interchange track/mainline heading out, you could easily expand later if you wanted to.

I think you'll run into some trouble with how close you have some of your switches. The crossover by one of the elevators is right on the switch, which may prove rather difficult to assemble. You may need to revise that area a bit to make all the pieces fit together properly.

Other than that, can't wait to see it come together. :)

Back