38 Years ago I left - Now I return - some N Scale Questions

Not sure why you would want to mix makes but if the OP buys his track and turnouts (Peco) from Hatton's in the UK (3 day delivery) it is vastly less expensive (even with shipping etc) than buying any track here AND at times, much faster service as well :)
It's really bad when you can get something like track delivered from 4000 miles away cheaper than if you bought locally

It's really bad when you can get something like track delivered from 4000 miles away cheaper than if you bought locally
That is the case though. When I bought my Peco #6s It was $6 cheaper a piece than anywhere here in the States. I didn't think the cost of DHL was even that out of line. It took 3 days on the button to be delivered. Heck Model Train Stuff is lucky to get it in the mail in 3 business days.

The last order I got from Hatton's - track and turnouts - would have cost me $100 and something more if I had have bought it here. And that includes the shipping and taxes etc. On top of that, I had my order in (believe it or not) exactly 3 days to the minute from the time I placed the order.

Why on earth would you buy Peco Track from here or any where other than the UK considering that is where it is made and; therefore, obviously will be cheaper than any where else.

Heck Model Train Stuff is lucky to get it in the mail in 3 business days.
One of the reasons I stopped dealing with them and went to Midwest, Lombard, Fifer and Hatton's for Peco items. One other thing I failed to mention - unlike Atlas's Sth African track - the BOTH rails in the Peco Flex Track slide so you can lay it without worrying about having the "sliding rail" on the correct side - just something to consider :)

One of the reasons I stopped dealing with them and went to Midwest, Lombard, Fifer and Hatton's for Peco items. One other thing I failed to mention - unlike Atlas's Sth African track - the BOTH rails in the Peco Flex Track slide so you can lay it without worrying about having the "sliding rail" on the correct side - just something to consider :)
Yea, my N scale layout I used Peco turnouts and Atlas code 80. Why, because I didn't know any better, and didn't consult knowledgeable people.

I can see where the double sliding rail would be a welcome upgrade.

You can get Flex-Track or Flexi-Track, flex track the ties are connected alternately, Flexi -track as you say both rails slide, I prefer flex-track simply because everytime I've used Flexi-track, I spend 30mins sliding the bloody rail ties back on. 🤣

Why, because I didn't know any better, and didn't consult knowledgeable people.
My first layout was a cheap and very nasty bachmann ez track starter kit with their version of dcc. Although I knew nothing about model railwaying what so ever, I was smart enough to know that that stuff was rubbish compared to what other sorts of track and DCC Systems were available.

From that, I went to atlas, why - because that seemed to be the most popular brand to have at the time. I knew nothing of Peco at that stage. After dealing with poor quality and failing turnouts an English girl asked if I had tried Peco turnouts. Needless to say, I said no and asked about them. Once Suzie had finished telling me about Peco - I was hooked, ripped up all of the atlas stuff, track and all, bought all Peco Code 80 Flex Track and Insulfrog Turnouts and have never looked back :)

I suppose my point is in support of your comment about not consulting knowledgeable people. Had I done that FIRST instead of jumping in feet first - I probably would have saved myself quite a bit of money on track and dcc systems, not to mention a whole lot of frustration. It is also the reason I am so anal about telling people to ask questions first, before trying to do something.

+1 for Kato. I too have been out of it for 30 years and recently dived back in with no experience of N scale (it was all HO when in was a teenager, and I had a whole attic to layout). Like you I was also researching what is best n scale and learned that atlas and Kato probably make the best track. I cannot say anything bad about the Kato stuff I have bought. The only downside is the price, and it's not easy to get your hands on in EU compared to fleichmann or bachman, but other than that it's very good quality stuff.

over the years i have had Bmann , atlas , Micro engineering and kato. My favorite is the kato track. It was easy to work with other than getting dirt into the turnouts, but that was my fault. anyway just my 2 cents

Back