38 Years ago I left - Now I return - some N Scale Questions

thhynes

Good day!

38 years ago I left the hobby. I had a 4' long 3 foot wide N scale layout self-designed. But back then ran into a few issues. Locomotives and stock cars not passing through the switches easily. Life also kicked into high gear and left little time for the hobby. And now I have the bug again. And I have some general questions and any input would be greatly appreciated.

After reviewing hours of N Scale Model Railroad layouts I have become impressed with how smoothly things run. Now I do attribute part of this to good track laying. But I can not help but wonder that after 38 years the manufacturing of the equipment has gotten better. I became especially intrigued with a new thing called DCC...I am like stunned at this development, the somewhat ease of even having reversing loops and having the system switch the switch to the proper position and not having to worry about flipping polarity is just amazing to me. Yes, I do realize that having all that happen does take some additional wiring and equipment but STILL...I am like a KID in a CANDY SHOP.

So I am looking for some opinions.

I am torn between what code, I have heard good reviews of Code 55 Peco Track - has anyone used it, how durable and tolerant is it to being flexed, cut, etc., I also noticed its profile is a bit different, does it need special rail joiners or do they use the old standard ones that I remember?

How are Peco Turnouts, from what I have seen they don't come with electric motors to switch the points, but you can add that on.

Watching some videos where people use exclusively KATO unitrack - my only concern with this product is to be able to make the plastic roadbed disappear into the scenery even with ballasting and painting. On the other hand, in every single layout I have watched, the trains have just been very reliable with no hesitations, no studdering.

For those that use Atlas Flex and Turnouts has the reliability, and quality improved?

My second question is a bit more complicated though so in general I was thinking of getting a Bachman N Scale set from Amazon that includes DCC locomotives, rail some cars, and track. The purpose would be that the DCC seems to be about 50% of the cost of that set.

I would use the track say around the Christmas tree for the holidays, so the whole set would not be a total waste it's usable in the sense that different parts of that set have a usage. - OR should I just go with a separate DCC system? Yes, I hear your question about what is your layout going to do.

Well, my plan is for a 5 or 6-foot long, 4-foot wide base, with some main lines a few spurs, and some switching. What attracts me more is the actual model building, running trains would be the goal, but not on the scale of running operations It's the Planning, Building, Laying Track, and Landscaping, all of that is what I find relaxing...running trains is the bonus. For now, I can not envision an expansion of the model railroad beyond my present available space, Unless my spouse dies and I can take over an entire two rooms and knock down a wall...

So since DCC is REALLY new to me anyway any pointers to books or articles or videos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Welcome back to the hobby! My opinion, skip the Bachmann starter set. I started that way and regret it. Sub par performance from the locomotive and rolling stock. Do it right from the beginning and get a Kato starter set. You pay more upfront, but the quality is excellent.
Others will have to chime in with questions to the Peco track. I’ve never used it.
Feel free to ask plenty of questions. We’re here to help.

Yes, welcome back to the hobby! Actually though, hobbies are just spare-time endeavors. For me (and a lot of others), model railroading ain't just a hobby, it's a full-time addiction! :p

Today's N-scale is leaps and bounds ahead of 38 years ago. Buy quality equipment, and you will be rewarded with trains that rival the best of HO scale. Peco track and KATO track are both high quality track systems. I like Atlas track too, although some may feel that it's not quite up to par with Peco or KATO. Most N-scale track is available in either code 80 or code 55, or both, depending on the manufacturer. Code 80, the old defacto standard for N-scale, has fairly over-sized rail. But if ballasted and weathered properly, it can still look pretty good. Instead of being grossly over-sized, code 55 rail is closer to representing a heavy mainline rail, and some folks find it much more palatable to the eye.

Twinboystrains sums it up quite well on Bachmann starter sets. And the Bachmann DCC controls, while they do work, are quite limited in what you can actually do with them. A quality starter system from folks like NCE or Digitrax will take you a LONG ways in the world of DCC, and would be money far better spent from the git-go. 👍

Good day!
Oh my so much to unpack in here.
After reviewing hours of N Scale Model Railroad layouts I have become impressed with how smoothly things run. Now I do attribute part of this to good track laying. But I can not help but wonder that after 38 years the manufacturing of the equipment has gotten better.
Absolutely, the equipment produced today is an order of magnitude better than I had when I was in n-scale in 1969-1984.

I became especially intrigued with a new thing called DCC...I am like stunned at this development, the somewhat ease of even having reversing loops and having the system switch the switch to the proper position and not having to worry about flipping polarity is just amazing to me. Yes, I do realize that having all that happen does take some additional wiring and equipment but STILL...I am like a KID in a CANDY SHOP.
Hmm, DCC certainly isn't a new thing anymore. Shouldn't really be too much of an amazement as command control and computer interfaces were invented in 1979. It was standardized by the NMRA in 1993 under the banner of DCC which is what really brought it into "common" usage. I agree the automatic reversing loops are the second best thing about it.

I'll leave the track questions to someone who is in N-scale today. As I implied above I abandon it in 1984.
My second question is a bit more complicated though so in general I was thinking of getting a Bachman N Scale set from Amazon that includes DCC locomotives, rail some cars, and track. The purpose would be that the DCC seems to be about 50% of the cost of that set.

I would use the track say around the Christmas tree for the holidays, so the whole set would not be a total waste it's usable in the sense that different parts of that set have a usage. - OR should I just go with a separate DCC system? Yes, I hear your question about what is your layout going to do.
Depends upon which DCC controller they are including. I assume it is their cheapo base model. I would say avoid that and go with one of the mainstream DCC suppliers, NCE power-cab or pro-cab, Digitrax Zephyr, Lenz, Zimo, MRC Prodigy Advance, or CVP. You will find much more support for these types of systems here on-line then you will with the Bachman, or similar base products. On a rabbit trail note from me the king of Christmas trains - N-scale does not make good Christmas tree trains unless it is a very small tree on a table.

since DCC is REALLY new to me anyway any pointers to books or articles or videos would be greatly appreciated.
So my advice is..... Bunches of the books and article etc on DCC are either people adding a whole lot of stuff together (enough to merit a book) to make money off selling a book, or people writing to show off how much they know. There is good information out there, but much of it once again is for either very large layouts or solving problems that 99% of the folks don't have.

So my DCC manifesto is:
1. DCC is easy. That is the whole point of it. However you can make it as complicated as you want - getting into tuning sound and speed curves and the like.
2. Do not make it harder than it has to be.
3. Don't be worried about solving problems that don't exist in your situation.
4. Start with two wires to the track, then if you have a real problem deal with it. ("Two Wires to the Track" doesn't make a very long book)

This is especially true with a layout of the size you are talking about. On a 4x6 all this talk about buses and stubbers is ridiculous. Ask me, I once did a 4x8 with a heavy gauge bus, blah blah blah. Total waste of time, money, and effort.

Last edited:
For me your questions are easy -

Track work:

Flex Track - Peco 80 or 55 either one as it is very good quality and very reliable as are the Peco Turnouts/points either Electrofrog or Insulfrog
Standard - Kato or Peco, I think Peco has a wider selection but I maybe wrong. Either would be a very good and solid choice though

Engines:

Kato for Diesels without question followed by BLI for either Diesel or Steam

DEFINITELY stay away from anything Bachmann - it is over priced rubbish pure and simple.

Rollingstock/Passenger Cars:

Most brands are okay; however Micro Trains are pro0bably the number one brand/manufacturer for Freight and Passenger cars unless you want Amtrak - then go with Kato Cars. !800' era - take a look at Wheels of Time for cars.

DCC System:

I like NCE as it is very user friendly with very good customer service and easy to read manuals. They have a variety of systems reasonably priced for DCC as well.

Needless to say, everyone will have/might have a different opinion but the above is what I use and what I have experience with so it is not just a sales pitch :) Also had experience with bachmann and atlas - but very different experiences for both :(

Last edited:
Welcome back to the Hobby!

I'm another NCE user and am very pleased with the simplicity of it.

I haven't done N scale for a while, but as far as track I used Atlas code 80 flex, and Peco turnouts, If I had it to do all over again, I would still use Peco turnouts, but also use their flex track.

I chose Digitrax because the handful of people I knew at the time were using it. It has a reputation of being one of the more difficult systems to use, but it is mostly a Ford vs Chevy, Coke vs Pepsi sort of thing.

Welcome back to the hobby. I chose Digitrax for the dcc and Kato track and turnouts. Like said above ford vs chevy. take your time. read up and there are lots of you tubes out there. ask the questions here and share your layout with us.

I use Digitrax, but everyone has their favourite, you'll have to read up on the various system's available, keeping in mind what you intend to do with your layout, in terms of is it just you as the operator or do you intend to have multiple users.

I would look at what's in your budget to spend and is the system your interested in able to be expanded at a reasonable cost, if you have a MRR club in your vicinity see if you can go along and speak to the members, you may even be able to try out their system.
Hope this helps, and welcome back to the hobby. :)

Yes, welcome back to the hobby! Actually though, hobbies are just spare-time endeavors. For me (and a lot of others), model railroading ain't just a hobby, it's a full-time addiction! :p

Today's N-scale is leaps and bounds ahead of 38 years ago. Buy quality equipment, and you will be rewarded with trains that rival the best of HO scale. Peco track and KATO track are both high quality track systems. I like Atlas track too, although some may feel that it's not quite up to par with Peco or KATO. Most N-scale track is available in either code 80 or code 55, or both, depending on the manufacturer. Code 80, the old defacto standard for N-scale, has fairly over-sized rail. But if ballasted and weathered properly, it can still look pretty good. Instead of being grossly over-sized, code 55 rail is closer to representing a heavy mainline rail, and some folks find it much more palatable to the eye.

Twinboystrains sums it up quite well on Bachmann starter sets. And the Bachmann DCC controls, while they do work, are quite limited in what you can actually do with them. A quality starter system from folks like NCE or Digitrax will take you a LONG ways in the world of DCC, and would be money far better spent from the git-go. 👍

Hobbies as my dad says, Toys for the Boys. Did I leave, yeah I would say I did I had not thought about another attempt in the hobby, well perhaps not all true as I traded in all of my N locos, equipment, etc to a local hobby show, now closed, and got myself an HO locomotive. Then shortly after that got myself to the big New England Train Show and the spark was lit, but that was way back in 2006 so ... did I really leave...yes, but was it in the back of my mind yes... the Jury is still out on the exiting.

Oh my so much to unpack in here.

Absolutely, the equipment produced today is an order of magnitude better than I had when I was in n-scale in 1969-1984.

Hmm, DCC certainly isn't a new thing anymore. Shouldn't really be too much of an amazement as command control and computer interfaces were invented in 1979. It was standardized by the NMRA in 1993 under the banner of DCC which is what really brought it into "common" usage. I agree the automatic reversing loops are the second best thing about it.

I'll leave the track questions to someone who is in N-scale today. As I implied above I abandon it in 1984.

Depends upon which DCC controller they are including. I assume it is their cheapo base model. I would say avoid that and go with one of the mainstream DCC suppliers, NCE power-cab or pro-cab, Digitrax Zephyr, Lenz, Zimo, MRC Prodigy Advance, or CVP. You will find much more support for these types of systems here on-line then you will with the Bachman, or similar base products. On a rabbit trail note from me the king of Christmas trains - N-scale does not make good Christmas tree trains unless it is a very small tree on a table.

So my advice is..... Bunches of the books and article etc on DCC are either people adding a whole lot of stuff together (enough to merit a book) to make money off selling a book, or people writing to show off how much they know. There is good information out there, but much of it once again is for either very large layouts or solving problems that 99% of the folks don't have.

So my DCC manifesto is:
1. DCC is easy. That is the whole point of it. However you can make it as complicated as you want - getting into tuning sound and speed curves and the like.
2. Do not make it harder than it has to be.
3. Don't be worried about solving problems that don't exist in your situation.
4. Start with two wires to the track, then if you have a real problem deal with it. ("Two Wires to the Track" doesn't make a very long book)

This is especially true with a layout of the size you are talking about. On a 4x6 all this talk about buses and stubbers is ridiculous. Ask me, I once did a 4x8 with a heavy gauge bus, blah blah blah. Total waste of time, money, and effort.

"Absolutely, the equipment produced today is an order of magnitude better than I had when I was in n-scale in 1969-1984."

So glad to hear this. And as I had stated I have seen the KATO systems just run smoothly as possible. So I know with the Kato Track system you are stuck with whatever track they have. However, I do like the idea of the FLEX track as that offers a bit more variability with regard to the curve. My friend who wants to get back into the hobby as well stated that you overthink this stuff... worrying about the size of a rail yard and car lengths and measuring out the length of track needed ....you are going to have to just accept some reality here and just run shorter trains!

For me your questions are easy -

Track work:

Flex Track - Peco 80 or 55 either one as it is very good quality and very reliable as are the Peco Turnouts/points either Electrofrog or Insulfrog
Standard - Kato or Peco, I think Peco has a wider selection but I maybe wrong. Either would be a very good and solid choice though

Engines:

Kato for Diesels without question followed by BLI for either Diesel or Steam

DEFINITELY stay away from anything Bachmann - it is over priced rubbish pure and simple.

Rollingstock/Passenger Cars:

Most brands are okay; however Micro Trains are pro0bably the number one brand/manufacturer for Freight and Passenger cars unless you want Amtrak - then go with Kato Cars. !800' era - take a look at Wheels of Time for cars.

DCC System:

I like NCE as it is very user friendly with very good customer service and easy to read manuals. They have a variety of systems reasonably priced for DCC as well.

Needless to say, everyone will have/might have a different opinion but the above is what I use and what I have experience with so it is not just a sales pitch :) Also had experience with bachmann and atlas - but very different experiences for both :(
Thank you for this!

I wish I could thank everyone personally for all the information ... it is GREATLY appreciated very much! THANK YOU!

A few takeaways

DCC systems are easy... two wires and a unit
N Scale Equipment today is far better than it was 38 years ago
Kato or Flex Pico cod 55 is durable and of good quality
...I personally like the spacing and size of the sleepers on Kato Track but I can't get over the built-in rail bed, however it's not a deal closer
...I like the idea of laying my own track and making adjustments to curves as needed hence Peco Flex and turnouts

Right now I am working on a layout design that meets my needs and the space where I can put it so I have a bit of way to go but the information provided is great.

Thank you

I wish I could thank everyone personally for all the information ... it is GREATLY appreciated very much! THANK YOU!

A few takeaways

...I personally like the spacing and size of the sleepers on Kato Track but I can't get over the built-in rail bed, however it's not a deal closer
...I like the idea of laying my own track and making adjustments to curves as needed hence Peco Flex and turnouts

Right now I am working on a layout design that meets my needs and the space where I can put it so I have a bit of way to go but the information provided is great.

Thank you
Glad we could help, and if you can, a few foto's when you start your build would be appreciated 👍

A few takeaways

Thank you
Welcome! I too dabbled in this hobby decades ago. When bitten by the bug again I went to the internet to see what the hobby looks like today. Like you I was also excited by DCC. Originally I was in love with engines sitting idle with lights on and engine still rumbling! Couldn't do that with my little DC set up when I was a kid.

I started with two wires to the track...now I'm so far in the weeds I'll probably never figure everything out but I would never go back to DC :)

I model HO but I started with Atlas Turnouts and quickly made my first step to being a more serious modeler...I went Peco. I suspect the same in N scale

I am usiing Kato and i like it as you can do a lot with the plastic roadbed. There is a fellow Mike Fifer.. Here is one link to just one of his layout. I have a hard time seeing the plastic roadbed! He has a whole series about the layout he is building.
here is the link:

In my opinion, Atlas Flex track with Peco turnouts is the best combination fcrom a performance and cost perspective, especially if you want to do your own ballasting.

If you can live with pre-made sectional pieces, then you can't beat Kato Unitrack for overall performance. even their turnouts work exceptionally well. Bachmann EZ-Track is also pretty darn good, but their turnouts are not so good (I'm being nice, they suck).

The premade sectional pieces from Kato (and Bachmann if you can live with the crappy turnouts), are excellent for performance, especially if you just want to quickly lay down some track and start running trains without doing a lot of scenery.

Not sure why you would want to mix makes but if the OP buys his track and turnouts (Peco) from Hatton's in the UK (3 day delivery) it is vastly less expensive (even with shipping etc) than buying any track here AND at times, much faster service as well :)

Back