30 or 40 cents on the dollar

Iron Man

Just what the title says, what does this mean exactly? I want to sell some stuff and don't know what to ask.

cheers ironman

If you're getting 40 cents on the dollar, it means that for every dollar the model is worth, you'll get 40 cents. So, if you have a model that is worth $100 at 40 cents on the dollar you can sell it (or they would be willing to buy it) for $40.

Just what the title says, what does this mean exactly? I want to sell some stuff and don't know what to ask.
That also assumes the items you have aren't some of the ones that have become rare or collectible. Look that the AHM Lincoln Funeral Car. When I was a kid one could have picked them up list for something like $2.99. Now they are going on eBay for $80-$165 depending on the condition.

Stewarts with the Kato drive originally sold for about $60, through the years climbed to about $250, and are now back to the $40-$60 range.

The Walthers plated SuperChief set doubled in price before they even left the hobby store shelves. I saw one go for $194 the other day.

So mark well if your item is a normal 30 or 40 cent on a dollar item or something special.

Thanks guys for the responses, thats what i was affraid of. I guess it depends what it is to like you said iron horseman.

cheers ironman

It can also depend who quoted you those amounts if you are looking to sell items. A buyer who intends to resell will offer a price low enough that he can resell and make some money. If he thinks he can sell it for $50 then his offer might be in the $30 to $40 range or even less. Not everything old is rare or collectable. On the other hand if you haven't done some research as to the average selling price of the items you are selling you could unknowingly let a collectable piece worth a lot go for that 30 or 40 cents on the dollar based on it's original retail price from long ago. So whether buying or selling, always do your homework.

NH Mike Thanks for more insight, i kind of thought what you had said. It depends on what you paid and what people are looking for.

cheers ironman

All selling is like fishing. You bait your "hook" with something you think is tasty and you hope that there's a big "fish" swimming around AT THE TIME you've thrown it in the water.

Unfortunately most of us who want to sell something, make that decision in a short space of time and so can't do a lot of market research and this is where auction selling is probably the best alternative, but what I said above still applies.

Back