2 rail or 3 rail?

Y3a

Stuck in the 1930's
I understand that "O" scale has at its root, the tin plate Lionel trains of decades past, but as a current HO scale modeler, how hard is modeling in 2 rail O scale???? Can I get scale turnouts, rolling stock in plastic and decent steam locomotives? I have looked at G scale and thought how cool a super detailed and carefully painted G scale 2-8-8-2 would be! The cost per foot for G scale suggests LOTTERY. So, what benefit do I have with 2 rail O scale?

I am not really familiar much with O scale (Im an HO scaler) so correct me if I am wrong, but dont the majority of O scale trains have the roller that picks up the current from the middle rail? How would you go about picking up current if you eliminated the middle rail, and how much work would it be to modify the engines? This may be a really dumb question, but I was just curious. Nothing against O scalers, but I have always found that third rail a little odd and unrealistic. But I do envy the bigger scale lol. And yeah G scale would be awesome, but you are right about the price :( I would LOVE to see a detailed big boy in G scale :D

O scale is the more prototypical version with 2 rail track and more true-to-prototype dimensions of rolling stock and motive power. O gauge is how one typically refers to Lionel-type trains with 3 rail track. A lot of O gauge stuff isn't to prototype size.

About the only things O scale and O gauge have in common is the size of buildings and scenery. You can definitely get scale-sized track and such for O scale.

You don't need to be rich to get into G scale either. One thing to be wary of is in G there are actually a number of scale ratios. While it's understood that HO scale is 1:87 proto to scale ratio, in G you can have 1:29, 1:32, 1:24 with each representing different track gauges (space between rails). The interesting thing is the actual model track gauge is a single dimension of 45 mm or 1.772 inches. Aristocraft has some nice, inexpensive G stuff; LGB (which I believe is now defunct) has/had stuff that would be considered the Rolls-Royce of trains, particularly price-wise.

Getting back to O scale don't overlook going On30 with the Bachmann stuff. They're not the only manufacturers in that scale/gauge but again they have stuff that's reasonable price-wise and are good running as well. I have a little 0-4-0 Porter that runs like clockwork of theirs.

That is something I never knew. I always just thought O scale had 3 rails. Maybe it is because the Lionel stuff is all I ever see at the stores. And thanks for the heads up with the sizes G scale stuff, didnt know that either lol. I think it would be sweet when me and my gf got a house of our own to have a little G scale layout around the house.

O Scale is more for scale modeling, O Gauge is for toy trains.

Equipment is interchangeable with modifications. O gauge cars can have their wheels replaced to run on O scale track. O Scale cars would need new trucks with truck mounted couplers to run on O gauge track unless they're really short cars.

O gauge locomotives can run on O scale track provided that you replace the wheels. O scale locomotives can't run on O gauge track without a lot of modification (they can't take the tight curves)

O Scale is more for scale modeling, O Gauge is for toy trains.

Equipment is interchangeable with modifications. O gauge cars can have their wheels replaced to run on O scale track. O Scale cars would need new trucks with truck mounted couplers to run on O gauge track unless they're really short cars.

O gauge locomotives can run on O scale track provided that you replace the wheels. O scale locomotives can't run on O gauge track without a lot of modification (they can't take the tight curves)
It's not that simple to make O gauge locos to run on O scale track. You also have to change the motors out as well. Most Lionel type stuff is AC and most 2 rail O scale is DC.

Ah yes, I forgot about that part.

If they run digital as well (TMCC/DCS/Legacy) then you'd need to modify them as well. O scale can run DC/DCC although the DCC options for O scale is somewhat limited.

Y3a -

You can read about one fellow's approach to O-scale 2-rail on David Stewart's Appalachian & Ohio web site. This is a large layout that is far more ambitious than most. All track is hand-laid, which is something that David particularly enjoys. Turnouts from #6 to #13 are built in-place, which saves a tremendous amount of space.

Link to the A&O

David's first O-scale layout was written up in Model Railroader May 2006, if I recall. The new layout, under construction, was written up a couple years ago in Model Railroad Planning.

Most of the latest construction photos can be found in the forums section under crew logs and general discussion.

All the best.

Back