2-6-2 keeps picking switch

Modeltrains2021

I have a mantua 2-6-2 and it keeps picking the switch on my brothers ho scale layout every couple of times around the switch is thrown for the way the locomotive is going how can i fix that issue thankyou.

I have a mantua 2-6-2 and it keeps picking the switch on my brothers ho scale layout every couple of times around the switch is thrown for the way the locomotive is going how can i fix that issue thankyou.
First thing I would check is the gauge of the wheels. Is it picking the points or the frog? Picking the points is often a too wide situation, while picking the frog is often a too narrow situation because the guard rail is pulling it too far to one side.

Next I would check the tension on the front truck spring. It could be it is just floating along the rail rather than actually riding on it.

Definitely check the gage of the lead truck. Mantua lead truck have plastic wheels on a metal axle, and it isn't uncommon for the wheels to move. I would also recommend checking the gage of the drivers and the trailing truck. I have found I had better results when I removed the spring under the lead truck, but that may not work all the time. You say it derails "the way the locomotive is going." Does that mean when the engine enters the turnout from the points? And does it derail as it passes through the points, or when it gets to the frog? What brand of turnout are you using, and is it always the same turnout? The more details we have, the easier it will be to fix the problem.
Happy, Healthy and Safe Holidays!

Picking the points, if that is really what the problem is (and not just the manifestation of the problem) is caused by at least three possibilities:

a. the picking axle is too narrow in gauge and the wheel you want to transit between the open point and the stock rail hits the open point;

b. the point rail does not lie flush against the inner face of the stock rail, maybe due to a sloppy heel joint;

c. the point is not at the right height and either makes the flange in question ride up over it or actually lifts the wheel on contact, like wedge; and/or

d. the point is blunt and needs to be filed sharp with a needle file. The way to do this is to place a tie or wooden match between that open point and the stock rail, and then use a needle file to sharpen the tip of the point using pressure and the match/tie to give you an angle to work on.

Back