0-4-0 / 2-8-2 / 4-6-2 / What all does that mean??

It is simply counting first the total number of pilot truck wheels, followed by the total number of coupled driving wheels, and if there is a trailing truck, the number of wheels on that truck.

So, a yard switcher with no pilot truck and no trailing truck would be designated as a 0-8-0 if it had four coupled drivers on each side of the frame. A Pacific Class had the designation of 4-6-2. And so on.

Note that in Europe, say in France, they do not use the Whyte Notation, but use a half-Whyte Notation. They only count the truck wheels and drivers on the one side visible to the viewer. So, a Pacific Class (and they don't use that name, either...) would come out to a 2-3-1.

-Crandell

Now I know one man who would be an 0-2-1-0. Now you have me doing it. Back to original question. Necrosaro420 it how you Identify different locomotive Types as Selector said. The other stuff we are talking about 0-5-0 is a modelers way of saying your hand. The rest is just other ways to say your hand as my example is a man who has lost 2 fingers:eek:

"Now I know one man who would be an 0-2-1-0...." Les, now you got me confused....Wouldn't he be an 0-3-0..?? Or is he a Mallet/articulated type..?? :D

Also, id you see one with 4 places, its an articulated or mallet locomotive like steamfreak mentioned. An example being 4-8-8-4,meaning 2 leading axles, 4 front driver axles, 4 rear driver axles, and 2 trailing axles. To make it seem less complicated, it adds up all the wheels.

He started out 050 which means one axle has only one wheel. Now this means that an 0-5-0 is an 0-6-0 with a wheel missing 0 = = - 0 now if through an industrial accident you loose 2 more wheels but the axle is still there you get 0 = l - 0 . Now does this not make perfect sense. Oh yeah if you cant figure out my drawing - is a wheel, 0 is an 0 and l is an axle. clear on that now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back