Search results

1. quakers1

Best Airbrush on a Budget?

Hello everyone. Recently, I have commenced an HO scale freelance project in which I must paint several undecorated locomotives to build a roster for my railroad (well, every fictional freelance has gotta get paint work!) Of course, I am going to be needing an airbrush. Since I am spending...
  2. quakers1

Radius Question

Hello, In the past month, a new oppurtunity for a model railroad has opened for me: I found out that i can have a 12'x30' room for layout usage! :) This has opened up the possibility of HO Scale for me, which makes me thrilled, but I have one question. Since the room is not too wide, I am a...
  3. quakers1

Best N Scale Intermodal Equipment?

Hello all. Yes, I have been asking quite a bit of questions lately, but its all in the name of deciding EXACTLY what to use on my layout, and saving money in the end. This question pertains to intermodal equipment. Since my layout will play host to a number of intermodal trains, its a no...
  4. quakers1

Wanting to Get Started in Decorating Locomotives

Hello everyone. Recently, I have been taking the time to more heavily plan my layout. I did like the sound of going N scale, but I determined that it would simply be a bit too small for my big hands to handle. So, I've decided to move back up to HO scale. Along with the planning, I have...
  5. quakers1

Layout Design Help

Hello all..It has been awhile since I have said anything here, but after some months of waiting to see if a larger space would open up for a model railroad, I'm glad to say my wait was worth it. First off, as of now, i do have an unfinished room at my disposal (yes, i'll have to do some...
  6. quakers1

What Track to Use?

Greetings, Since I am beginning to finalize my layout plan for the Aurora Sub, I am beginning to ask myself what would be the best brand of track to use. For sure, the code I will use is Code 55. It is more prototypical in size to the real deal than Code 80 is. Where my question rises...
  7. quakers1

New Layout Plan

Hello all, First off, this plan is nothing final. After looking at pictures on various railroad photo sites, and some Google Earthing over the area, I have been taking the Rochelle-Aurora segment of BNSF's Aurora Sub into consideration. After doing a measurement in Google Earth, the route is...
  8. quakers1

N Scale C40-9Ws?

Hello all, One of the possible prototypes I might model is a Norfolk Southern route. Since my space (12x20) can house a large N scale railroad, I am going to model in N scale for sure. I have ran into a pretty big problem: I cannot seem to find any N scale NS C40-9Ws on the market. Has...
  9. quakers1

Brass Question

Hello, I have a quick question to ask. Recently, I have been looking at some brass models from Overland, since they make models that aren't available in plastic. I have read up on brass locomotives, and I usually see articles about collecting brass locomotives. Are brass locomotives solely...
  10. quakers1

Electrical Questions

Hello all, My layout is entering advanced planning at this time, so I am now looking into the electrical aspects. I WILL for sure use Digital Command Control. Standard cab control has worked for me on my small layouts in the past, but since my new layout will play host to several trains...
  11. quakers1

Idea for my Prototype

Hello all, I recently posted about how I will be getting some space to use for a model railroad. Now I am going to decide on a prototype to model. I do love mountain railroads with lots of grades, but they simply take up a lot of space. So I'll save them for later down the road when I get a...
  12. quakers1

11 x 20 Space...Good Enough?

Hello all, After prospecting around...it looks like I can get my hands on a 11 x 20 space for me to build a model railroad in. I do want to build in N Scale (this isn't too big for an HO layout space, plus I like N scale better anyways). I was wondering, would this fit a decent layout...
  13. quakers1

Re-Numbering Locomotives

Hello Everyone, I got a quick question to ask. At this time, I am planning a layout that will entail the operation of several trains, many of which will incorporate the same model of locomotive. Most manufacturers tend to only put out 2 or 3 road numbers per paint scheme. This may sound...
  14. quakers1

CR Harrisburg Line

Hello everyone. I'm sure you've read about my CR Harrisburg Line that is in the planning stages in my thread "Plans for Next Layout". I have decided to make a new thread for the layout. Now, it's time to get serious with this layout. I have found out that it would not be a good idea to build the...
  15. quakers1

Best Online Shop for Union Pacific HO Scale?

Hello everyone. With my recent proposition to model a Union Pacific route near me in HO, I am looking for a good site to get HO Scale Union Pacific locomotives from. I have always liked Internet Trains, but their Union Pacific inventory is deminishing. I have looked on Google for some good...
  16. quakers1

Plans for Next Layout

Hello everyone. I took a break from here and decided to find my preferred area in the country to build a layout. I am looking at the northern Arkansas/ southern Missouri region, since it is my home turf. I have looked into a couple layout ideas. The first one is the Jonesboro-Paragould segment...
  17. quakers1

Is 15x25 Good?

I found out it might be possible for me to get my hands on a 15x25 room for me to build a layout. Since there are no giant spaces availible for an HO layout, I decided N scale would be good. There is a good deal of Conrail locos availible in N(anything from B23-7s to SD80MACs). I am wondering if...
  18. quakers1

Good Loco Brands

Hey all. I have been browsing some hobby shops for Conrail locos in N scale. It seems Bachmann is the only brand that offers Conrail Dash 8s and SD45s. I have sought interest in modeling a fallen flag railroad. If I do an eastern one, it will be Conrail. If I choose a western railroad, it will...
  19. quakers1

Looking For Good Online Hobby Shops

Does anyone know of any good online hobby stores. Internet Trains is the only one I know of and I have not found any good ones. Any of you know any? Oh yeah, is there any that have a large selection of SP equipment in HO scale? -quakers1
  20. quakers1

Some Ideas That Hit Me

I forgot to mention that I live around 25 miles from a BNSF line. It is the BNSF Thayer South Sub. The Thayer South Sub runs from Thayer, Missouri to Memphis, Tennessee. I have started to railfan the area in Mammoth Spring State Park, which is right on the Arkansas-Missouri border, and 1 mile or...

Back