Search results

1. pcarrell

It's cutting into my hobby budget!

I'm curious, how many of you out there have gone to the hobby shop and had to choose between an item for the layout, or the latest whatever magazine that has an interesting article or two in it that could prove helpful? I mean, lets face it, at almost $6 for one mag, and I may see two or three...
  2. pcarrell

Dressing Up An MDC/Athearn Steam Loco

This was shown by another modeler, a guy by the name of Richie (up1950s on some forums). It was so good I just wanted to share it, but he gets all the credit.
  3. pcarrell

What Scale?

If you could not model in the scale you currently model in, what scale would you pick and why? Me? I'm an N scaler now, but I'd probably go to HO or S scale, though Z could be fun too. HO because virtually anything is available in that scale. S because of the high detail threshold of...
  4. pcarrell

Transition Tracks

HO scale enjoys so many luxuries that other scales can only dream of. One of those luxuries is a readily available transition track that allows one to move from one code of rail to another easily and smoothly. Micro Engineering makes a transition track for N scale, but they're about as...
  5. pcarrell

Your camera ROCKS because...........

I'm just starting to look into buying a new digital camera (Gotta go railfanning ya know!) and I'm a bit overwhelmed. So many choices! I thought it might be helpful if I asked you all a question or three first though. Tell me, what kind of camera did you get? What do you like about it...
  6. pcarrell

I repurposed it..........

Part of the "art" of model railroading is the repurposing of different things and incorporating them into something new. What things have you repurposed? What was it orriginally, and what did you make it into? Got a pic or two?
  7. pcarrell

Autumns Ridge......Reborn!

IT LIVES!!!!!!! Finally, after 10 months of construction, the Autumns Ridge Railway & Navigation Co. is back in business! We moved to a new home last October and the old layout had to be completely dismantled. I've been rebuilding in my spare time (what little there is) ever since. It's...
  8. pcarrell

Minitrix Steamers

I've got a couple of old minitrix steamers and I could use some advice. My 0-6-0 needs a good cleaning, no problem there, but I've got two Pacific chassis and a Decapod that needs a new motor. I'd also like to convert all of these to DCC. So, any tips on DCC conversions...
  9. pcarrell

Winter all the time

I like winter. I know some of you don't, but I do. Since that is the case, I'm thinking of doing a perminant winter season for my latest layout, but I've not done one before. Since I model Maine, this shouldn't be too big of a stretch of the imagination at all. Any tips from those of you...

Back