Search results

1. S

My Track Plans

I hope we here from Steve, I can feel his pain being frustrated but wanting a decent layout. As I mentioned before he and I are quite alike, and I can appreciate him thinking about N. As an exercise I set up an N scale layout on a hollow core door using Unitrack and ran some trains, including a...
  2. S

My Track Plans

At least you have a clear direction as far as roadname and theme, I'm still torn between 3 different roads. Share your track plans here when you can.
  3. S

My Track Plans

Steve, you and I are in somewhat similar situations (besides having the same first name). I was in N scale for many years, and did all kinds of neat stuff including superdetailing and painting diesels. Then I took a break from the hobby, and returned about 2 years ago. While wandering around the...
  4. S

Columbia, Mo. 1963

Thanks again Joe, keeping a close eye on this thread!
  5. S

Columbia, Mo. 1963

Joe, I've been following this thread with great interest, you're doing a nice job. Do you have a track plan that you can post?
  6. S

Painting Flexible handrails

Well, there were flex additives that could be added to enamels, but I don't know of anything for acrylics. Would be nice! At times I'm tempted to bend my own wire handrails just to avoid this issue.
  7. S

Northwest NJ/Eastern PA clubs?

Looking for a club in the northwest NJ area (Sussex, Warren, Morris counties) or eastern PA (Stroudsburg or Easton/Nazareth area), preferably HO but could also get into N scale. Can contribute general layout work, custom painting and DCC installations. email: stevewoodward at mac dot com...
  8. S

I'm not aware of any acrylic additives. Faskolor looks interesting, will have to see if there are any other colors available.
  9. S

Many years ago I did custom painting for hire. When it came time to painting flexible handrails (delrin, celcon, etc) I used to mix in a small amount of an automotive flex additive, used by body shops for painting flexible urethane bumpers on autos. Fast forward to today...I've gotten quite...
  10. S

Atlas GP38 decoder: What I SHOULDA done the first time

That's okay Rex, I'm a determined tinkerer! Jeff, I don't have a shell handy, but a 3/4 speaker barely fits, requires a little trimming. There's a "step" in the atlas shell that widens toward the top, you can make a 3/4" speaker work but now I'm going to experiment with a 1/2" oval speaker with...
  11. S

Atlas GP38 decoder: What I SHOULDA done the first time

Glad I found this thread...I just installed an AT100 in an Atlas GP38 with a 3/4" speaker facing up through the fans, and I can barely hear it! My only other Soundtraxx installation was an older DSD sound only decoder. It's the exhaust volume that's so quiet, the horn and bell are fine. But...
  12. S

Athearn decoder install - tidy?

Very true, I should have thought of that! Did that once in an Atlas S-4...
  13. S

Thanks for sharing, that's exactly what I was planning on doing, that tiny bit of weight can't make much of a difference. Especially on my "flatlands" layout!
  14. S

Good thought Dave, I have gotten in such a routine with Digitrax I never even thought about a smaller decoder. I do have a Lenz that is similar in size to the MRC you used, I'll tinker with it. Thanks! It's that "step" in the dynamic brake area that makes it difficult. I just installed an ESU...
  15. S

Ah, ok, thanks! I've seen my electrical engineer buddy use that stuff for prototypes.
  16. S

Rick, Please forgive my ignorance, but what's perf board?
  17. S

Painting plastic handrails

Yeah, my Athearn Blue Box custom painted locos are the only ones safe to handle.
  18. S

P2K GP38-2 - Sound?

What size speaker did you use Rex?
  19. S

Yeah, it's sometimes hard to avoid touching the handrails. I've even had the paint chip off putting a loco back in the box.
  20. S

I've heard that ModelFlex is a bit more, well, flexible, and that it forms more of a "skin". Pollyscale, while I love spraying it, flakes off at the slightest bending of the handrails.

Back