My Track Plans

milwsteve

I have the choice of staying in HO Scale,or switching to N Scale.The wife and I have an apartment with a front room of 11'x20' and the bedroom is about 11'x11' U shaped.I model the Milwaukee Road from Ottumwa,Ia to Savanna,Il from 1980-1985.The layout would be u shaped with 30" radius on the mainline in HO Scale,and 20" radius in N Scale.I model the SD40-2's and MP15AC's on the Milwaukee Road,and these are available in HO Scale,while not available in N Scale as I would have to kit bash the MP15AC's from the Atlas MP 15 DC in N Scale and try to get those small numbers decaled on the front and rear number boards.The SD40-2's would have to have the fuel tanks shortened,which I could find someone to do that.The reason I am considering N Scale is the ability to have a nice sized layout in a smaller space.Another reason I am thinking of staying with HO Scale is the fact that I have arthritis in my hands which would make it hard to decal in N Scale compared to HO Scale. All replies will be greatly appreciated.I realize N Scale has come along way since I was in N Scale in the late 80's,better running engines and cars and better track.I will listen to both sides N Scale and HO Scale and make the decision that will be the best for the space available.

Steve, regardless of whatever advantage N scale would give you, any problems with use of your hands will make N scale an exercise in frustration. You need really good manual dexterity to work on N scale models, especially doing things like decaling number boards, which is hard enough in HO. Even rerailing cars and engines can be a real problem. If you're at the arthritis stage, then eyesight starts to go next, which makes things even harder. N scale has a lot of advantages for small spaces but your problems with your hands will make you hate it in short order.

I have to agree here. Diabetes has robbed me of almost all sensation in my hands and feet. Retina problems have reduced my ability to see clearly. I recommend HO or even On3.

Tim

That's what I thought,also with HO Scale,modeling the Milwaukee Road they have early version SD40-2's available with the correct fuel tanks and MP15AC's also available,Genesis did Milwaukee Road in thew first run and I believe in time they will do another run of run of Milwaukee Road MP15AC's.Plus the decalling is a little easier in HO Scale than in N Scale.The space we have available now is a 11'x20' front room.and our bed room is 11'x11' T shaped with the bed,3 dressers, and 2 stands.I would consider building the layout in modules since a part of the layout would have to be removed daily to access the bed room and living room,plus it would be easier to move should we be able to move in the next couple of years.

Steve, you and I are in somewhat similar situations (besides having the same first name). I was in N scale for many years, and did all kinds of neat stuff including superdetailing and painting diesels. Then I took a break from the hobby, and returned about 2 years ago. While wandering around the LHS I found myself drawn to the HO locos. I figured since detailing and painting were my "thing", why not start fresh in a different scale?

So I did. And I'm enjoying it. However, I have a space problem too, not as tough as yours but it is still a problem. I can make use of one of two possible spare rooms in our home. One room is about 9.5 x 13 but has numerous obstacles. The other is about 11 x 11.5 and is pretty much ready to go.

So I sit down and doodle track plans in HO, and invariably they are full of compromises. And that constantly pulls me back in the direction of N. I can have quite the empire in one of those rooms in N. But, between my investment in HO, enjoyment of the size, and the fact that as I march into my mid 40s I am starting to hold little things like N scale rolling stock further and further away from my eyes, I have to wonder if that wouldn't be a big mistake.

I have two thoughts: 1) Do N, and back off some/all of the detail work. The latest N stuff is very nicely detailed, and now that we don't have to worry about converting all of the Rapido couplers, one can avoid a lot of tedium. or 2) Build something attainable in HO, detail it nicely, and enjoy the benefits of HO, including sound.

Being realistic about time restraints, I have to wonder how long would it take me to build that N empire? I would not use anything like Unitrack, I would go for code 55. That's a lot of ballasting and switch machines!

All I really want is a place to go and relax and run a train. Tinker when time permits.

So at the moment I'm leaning towards HO, but the decision isn't cast in concrete yet.

Hope you're on your way to figuring out your plans, good luck!

The reason I am considering staying in HO Scale is the fact that HO Scale has the MP15AC's and early version SD40-2's for the Milwaukee Road in the correct fuel tank size,and the bay window cabooses and it would be easier for me to decal in HO Scale than in N Scale and HO Scale also has the switch stands for the Milwaukee Road in the Chevron style and the decals for them.I am working on track plans for the room sizes I have now.

At least you have a clear direction as far as roadname and theme, I'm still torn between 3 different roads. Share your track plans here when you can.

I plan on posting some plans in the next week for the rooms the wife and I have in our apartment.These are in HO Scale.

Hi Steve;

I personally like the second plan you have, it keeps the straight along the layout edge away a bit.
I'm a 60 year old N scale guy who loves N scale. I use an opti visor for some detailing and get away with it. With your health problems Steve, you may just want to stay with HO as it's easier to see and work with like everyone else has said. Layout room and your desired road to model are another issue. You may need to scale down the area you plan to model on such a large road to.
It's a tough call and there's been a lot of great advice before me here, but ultimately, it's your choice. Any rr buff friends close by to help and assist you?
I have a friend who's 82 and in N scale who is a builder, and when I go visit, I run his trains, clean his track and visit while he works on another project. When I knock on his door he doesn't alwaays hear me, so I go in his train room and move his trains all around so when he goes out to the train room he knows I was there, then he has to run his trains and put them all back where he had them prior to my sneaking in and moving his trains. He just laughs. I help him in any way I can, but friends are a great source of help if you can find them.

I hope we here from Steve, I can feel his pain being frustrated but wanting a decent layout. As I mentioned before he and I are quite alike, and I can appreciate him thinking about N. As an exercise I set up an N scale layout on a hollow core door using Unitrack and ran some trains, including a sound equipped SD40-2. They are absolute jewels, it's a great time to be an N scaler for sure. But all I kept thinking about was my wonderful HO collection, and that I shouldn't worry about the compromises, and at least build something so I can run trains.
How about it Steve, any progress? Winter is coming, great time to start a layout!

Back