Search results

1. D

Newbie here. I have an old Lionel (1930) that won't run. Advice needed.

Hi Everyone. I have a Lionel train I inherited from my great grandfather. She's a beaut! I was hoping to get up and running for Xmas. I'm hitting some problems. The layout is roughly a 4'x8'. Each rail has a pin inserted into it. The pin is in both pieces of track at each joint. I connected...
  2. D

Newbie Here, Need direction on how to get started with HO set-up

Cleaned the top of track with sandpaper. I bought a Dremel wire brush to the rail joiners and tips of rail. Dremel didn't last long and had to go ahead with testing. Runs like champ. My kids are going to love this. I got a car with spotlight on it. We can run the trains in the dark. Im going...
  3. D

Ha...you guys are funny. Hey Willie. Yep you're right. I'm going to pare it down. I did a loop inside a loop with two switches. I have my great grandfathers standard gauge Lionel. I made a loop with that to go around the HO. I think the kids will love it. I have a problem. Before I nailed...
  4. D

Hey willie. Thanks for the reply. That was a great link you included. Kids are about to be 5 and 7. I really want to build this for them. They love trains. There is a huge model train display set up by a Xmas light display and the 5 year old cried because he wanted to go to train store to...
  5. D

Thanks horseman! I want to get this done by Xmas. I'm just going to run dc with single train. I have trains that don't have the decoders in them. Ahhh...I'm getting it. They just left the 1/3 curve piece off. Would that layout work on a 4'x8' plywood? I thought I read somewhere 22" radius...
  6. D

Hey tootnkumin. Thanks for the reply. I've seen on Atlas site where u can order a similar layout but it close to $500. I thought if I learned the basics I could do it for cheaper. I didn't realize how much goes into track building. I'm starting to pick it up.
  7. D

Hey Jim, thanks for the reply. Due to lack of time and money, I'm just shooting for track on plywood. The kids want to control the trains so I want to focus on building a track with a bunch of switches. Yep. Im trying to do my due diligence. I'm reading a bunch. My head hurts. :)
  8. D

Hey Everyone, My kids love trains and it would be awesome if I could build something for them. I have some knowledge about trains but there is a lot of gaps. I know there is a certain way of building and if you don't get it right you're going to be redoing your work. I've tried searching the...

Back