Newbie here. I have an old Lionel (1930) that won't run. Advice needed.

dwderricd

Hi Everyone.

I have a Lionel train I inherited from my great grandfather. She's a beaut! I was hoping to get up and running for Xmas. I'm hitting some problems.

The layout is roughly a 4'x8'. Each rail has a pin inserted into it. The pin is in both pieces of track at each joint. I connected a lock on to middle and outside rail and attached leads. The rails have all been cleaned as well as wheels on train.

When I toggle the switch on the transformer, the train does not move. The transformer hums. When I touch to track it stops humming.

Im dealing with some old parts and an expensive engine. I was hoping for some input on how to proceed. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 259
When I toggle the switch on the transformer, the train does not move. The transformer hums. When I touch to track it stops humming.
What do you mean by "touch to track"?

What terminals have you hooked from the power supply to the track? U & A?

Have you examined each piece of track to be certain there is an insulating fiber under all the center rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also happened to think, Do you know about how the rotary reverser on these locomotives work? Power on train goes forward, power off and power back on train in neutral, power off-on train goes reverse, power off-on train in neutral. So when one is going forward and stops, to go forward again one has to hit the power three times before actually applying the power to move the train.

First thing I would do is to check the output of the transformer with a multi-meter, with and without a load.

If it test out ok follow the voltage from the transformer to and around the track with the meter.

Use a cheeper engine to make sure the track is ok. Just think if that engines works it may work too well and fly off the track. Put up some bumper boards. I agree with checking the track. The center rail must be isolated from the track piece.

Back