Search results

1. NYC_George

Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

For Bill old Nickel Plate Road roundhouse. Swal
  2. NYC_George

Another cold start in NY. Freeze Watch. They say one more day of this. Too cold to work outside yet. Swal
  3. NYC_George

Getting together all the final papers for wife's Medicaid application today. Have to drop them off at the lawyer office. Her medical insurance runs out 04/28 I'll be glad when this is over. Geting rid of 2 banks accounts after this gets done. No reason to have 4 bank accounts going. Just never...
  4. NYC_George

Four more cold mornings to deal with here in NY. 36, 32 ,31 , 32. It doesn't warm up until around 1pm. Too cold for me to start working outside in the morning right now. I guess I'll have to wait another week for that to take place. Swal
  5. NYC_George

I know this 5-minute rule well because we used it every night. This was the last job I worked on the railroad. They were electrifying the track from North White Plains to Brewster NY. We left Brewster yard at 10 pm unloaded the 4 carloads of new 3rd rail ties and were back in the yard at 2am...
  6. NYC_George

Curt I knew the rule from when I was a fireman & engineer. Coming out of a siding in signal territory, you can't just throw the switch and proceed on to the main. What if a train is already in the block? You don't know that? The brakeman throws the switch. That changes the aspects of 2 signals...
  7. NYC_George

Because I got rid of Verizon cable which costs $205.00 a month I decided to pay Youtube the $139.00 a year to be add free. So, I watch a lot of videos now and the steam explosion was one of them. I also watch a lot of music videos. The'll play one after another all night long. I really like the...
  8. NYC_George

According to the video Chad the engine was struggling on a grade. The engineer told the fireman to reduce the water being injected into the boiler which would produce more steam pressure, doing that would work but the pipes would become so hot they may melt. That's what happened and the...
  9. NYC_George

Another cold 4 days coming in NY. It didn't get out of the low 40's yesterday so I don't believe them when it says 58 in the afternoon. The cold Canadian wind stops that from happening. A nice day would help me get some outside work done. Swal
  10. NYC_George

That's my old transfer caboose Boris the 2 years I worked on the Chartham switcher. Lot of memories of having lunch in there and playing pick and lay waiting for passenger trains to clear. Swal
  11. NYC_George

You mean like this trim Troy. When I changed the living room floor to match the rest of the house. I used this 1/4 trim around the fireplace. Swal
  12. NYC_George

One rule model Railroader's ignore. When you are coming on to the main from a siding on your model RR and you throw the switch to proceed you really have to wait 5 minutes. The 5-minute switch rule is a safety practice in railroad operations. When a train or engine intends to enter a specific...
  13. NYC_George

Georgia Train Wreck Update. I see a video on Youtube today about the Georgia train accident. Someone here said they seen a signal truck in the previous video. The truck was there because they were doing single work, and the signals were out for that segment of track. There was switch tender...
  14. NYC_George

Curt I use to do a lot of ice fishing on those reservoirs. I had a lot of photos of large Lake Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout but I threw them all out years ago. I guess I should have saved some of them. I had a boat in one of the reservoirs. They go for miles. Going through some papers few...
  15. NYC_George

When cutting down the source of water to create more steam. Things can go very wrong. Swal
  16. NYC_George

Every morning 32, 33, 34, and it stays that way until around 11 am when it's starts to warm up to the low 50's. Never warm. The weather, the taxes, the crime. The only thing good about this place for me is the golf course. $1550.00 year membership cart included. I'm there 5 days a week now. The...
  17. NYC_George

Curt I'll be in Myryle Beach, SC the day after Labor Day on a 7-day golf / beach vacation with some of my classmates. It's fairly cheap. Place on the beach with 4 days of paid golf. The last time we went it was $600.00 I'm not sure what the cost will be this year but will know in 2 weeks. If...
  18. NYC_George

Myrtle Beach Mike. Lots of first-class golf courses there and the beach. Plus, I'll already have classmates there. Played terrible yesterday but was closest to the pin on 17 and won $27.00 for that which was because it carried over the 8 and 11th greens which no one hit. Lots of wind blowing...
  19. NYC_George

About 7 million New Yorkers plan to leave the state, a new survey revealed this month. The mass migration echoes a trend that gained momentum during the COVID-19 pandemic and continued in the years that followed as Northerners sought warmer weather, cheaper living and more favorable tax...
  20. NYC_George

Overcast again in NY. Since November maybe about 10 days we've seen the sun here. Very depressing. I can't believe I'm still playing golf wearing my heated vest. I wish the sun would come out and stay out awhile. All my friends are playing at 1pm today. If the sun doesn't show it's face soon...

Back