Search results

1. Fueling depot

Fueling depot

Fueling depot, work in progress Retaining walls are foam cut from sheets
  2. Fueling depot

Fueling depot

Fueling depot, work in progress The tall retaining walls are foam sheets with board joints drawn in.
  3. Fueling depot

Fueling depot

Fueling depot, work in progress. The small tanks are TP rolls. The larger are PVC Couplings
  4. M

The novice has a question

Hello Trent, I'll go tomorrow am and buy a group of metal 33" wheels. I will try your idea, it sounds like a good one. I'll let you know my results. Thanks for the input. Mike Shepheard
  5. M

Comment by 'Mike Shepheard' in media 'Scratchbuilt Platform and Tank Car Unloading Ramp'

Hello Ray, I am a novice and in the learning process.  Your work on the unloading platform is excellent.  I am most anxious to hear how you did the metal roofing.  That is a great representation.  Congrats on a fine job. Mike
  6. M

A little update on progress

Tony hit a home run on this, experiment, you will find its actually alot of fun and the range of colors is endless. Mike
  7. M

I like the clickety-clack. Have not heard that sound or term since I was on a train coming home from the service in the 60's. Fond memories of that train ride. Thanks for sharing. Mike
  8. M

I thank you all for your input. It answers several of the questions I've had on my mind. I think to prudent thing is to do one car at a time as needed. I had no idea about the sound difference with plastic and metal. There is another reason this forum is so helpful for we nubies. Again...
  9. M

Sorry for the delay in getting back, I had a meeting first thing this am. Tony, to answer your first question, yes I do mix and blend my colors. I start with just a small amt on a flat surface, a piece of cardboard, or foam, then I can blend the colors to get the ones I want and then I paint...
  10. M

I'm not ready to start running my layout on a regular basis, but I have a question that many will think "he outta know that" but I don't. Most of the freight cars, box, hopper, and tank are for the most part 50+ years old. I'm adding new as I go along. Most everything has plastic wheels. I...
  11. M

Tony, I did not add color to the epoxy, I also paint my base and then pour the clear epoxy. I was just wondering if anyone here had tried that. The river, was too blue with my painting and was still too blue after pouring the epoxy. I used an acrylic paint wash to tone down the blue and I...
  12. M

Thank you all. Tony and Alan, this was my first attempt with a stream/epoxy. I found that it was not as difficult to work with as I believed it would be. I used the method again on the other end of the layout and I felt more comfortable than the first. Have you tried adding color to the...
  13. M

Thanks Louis, it has been a challenge but I'm enjoying it. Thanks for the reply. Mike
  14. M

Thanks Chet, always good to hear from the pro's. I'm happy so far, learning alot as I go. Appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Mike
  15. M

Couple more to show river change. I had too much blue on bottom. I used an acrylic wash of brown and painted on top of the epoxy. It helped with the color. One more coat and I think it will look more realistic. Rivers are not blue, my mistake.
  16. M

Hello all, Thanks for your replies to my previous posts. I never have shown the whole layout to give you a better idea of what I'm doing. Hope this helps. As always, replies and suggestions good and negative are welcome.
  17. M

My building progression

Thanks for your input. The covering on the foam is Woodland scenics and it does work great. The back/end of the mountain where the tunnels go thru, I have cut a door in the vertical end for access so I can reach both sides. It is tight but can do. Thanks for the thought.
  18. M

My building progression

Need to add one more photoComments and suggestions are very welcome, good and bad. I'm new at this so I want to learn from the best.
  19. M

My building progression

Just thought I would show my progression and see if a novice like me is do'in ok
  20. M

Making a little progress

Thank you all for your comments.The 3 tanks in the foreground I made from empty TP rolls, the bridge and supports I made from foam, the rails are factory. All comments welcomed, good and bad, I am new at this so learning is part of the process.

Back