A little update on progress

Hello all, Thanks for your replies to my previous posts. I never have shown the whole layout to give you a better idea of what I'm doing. Hope this helps. As always, replies and suggestions good and negative are welcome. IMG_0666.JPGIMG_0668.JPGIMG_0670.JPGIMG_0674.JPG

Couple more to show river change. I had too much blue on bottom. I used an acrylic wash of brown and painted on top of the epoxy. It helped with the color. One more coat and I think it will look more realistic. Rivers are not blue, my mistake.IMG_0669.JPGIMG_0673.JPGIMG_0553.jpg

Hi Mike, thanks for including the broader shots, puts things in perspective. The work you are doing on the stream does make your water appear more realistic. Thanks for posting!

Looks Good Mike. The scenery seems to be coming along nicely. It sure makes a difference.

..............................................................................Chet

Mike- It looks like you have a lot of activity on your layout.
You are started very well, keep up the good work!

Your water color is accurate for some western locations, but my southern creeks and rivers are a dirty green from algae and mud suspended in the water in the middle.
The river edges are light brown according to the depth of the shallow water.

However, it is your layout and you can have purple and pink water if you want it!

Thank you all. Tony and Alan, this was my first attempt with a stream/epoxy. I found that it was not as difficult to work with as I believed it would be. I used the method again on the other end of the layout and I felt more comfortable than the first. Have you tried adding color to the epoxy mix? I have read a little about it and have seen it on utube but have never asked anyone. That may be something I'd try.
Here is a picture of the added (unfinished) ditch.IMG_0656.JPG

Mike,

I have never added color to my water but it can be done obviously. The problem that I see in doing that is getting the color right. Once the color is in the epoxy (or whatever you use) it is there and can't be changed.

I have always painted my base before pouring the water liquid so I can make sure that what I have is what I want and so it can be "fixed" if it messes up.

Tony,
I did not add color to the epoxy, I also paint my base and then pour the clear epoxy. I was just wondering if anyone here had tried that. The river, was too blue with my painting and was still too blue after pouring the epoxy. I used an acrylic paint wash to tone down the blue and I think it is working. I think when I get it just the way I want it, I'll pour another clear 1/8" or less layer just to "set" the color so it won't be washed or rubbed away. Thanks for your input, if you see anything, i am always open for those suggestions.
Thanks, Mike

Mike,

No problem and I did understand that you don't add color to the epoxy. Do you use just one color when doing your water or do you "blend" colors to get the appearance of depth?

Water is something I have never attempted, seen lots of ponds, streams, etc. on other folks layouts and they look amazing. I think I am not enough of an artist to get it to look right. My sister is an artist, so if I should do any water I would get her to paint the colours! :)

Alan,

Painting the water isn't difficult if you follow some basic rules/principles. Use dark colors to indicate "depth", the darker the color, the deeper the water.

What I do is start using the Darkest Color and run that down the middle of the river, lake, stream or pond and then use lighter colors moving outward towards the banks.

Once I have my colors down, I use a wet with water only brush and blend the lightest color back into the darker colors. That will "lighten" the darker colors a little BUT will give you a nice transition from one to the other.

The hardest part of doing water (for me) is picking the colors to start with :)

Some of you guys make it sound (and look) easy, but scenery is not my strong point, being and engineering sort of guy. Give me something which needs accuracy to small parts of a millimeter and I am ok!

I really admire anyone who gets water to look like water! There are several examples on this board, my hat off to you. :)

Sorry for the delay in getting back, I had a meeting first thing this am. Tony, to answer your first question, yes I do mix and blend my colors. I start with just a small amt on a flat surface, a piece of cardboard, or foam, then I can blend the colors to get the ones I want and then I paint it on the layout. Yes, I also use darker color for depth. As I used too much blue in the original, it was a mistake that I learned from. Also, the painting on top of the acrylic to change the color slightly. Alan, don't be afraid to try, this is my first attempt also and I'm learning more with every mistake I make. To me, that is part of the fun, coming up with ideas on how to fix a problem I've created. I have found in my short time on this forum that these fellow train nuts are really good and they have no problem sharing their knowledge and help to those of us that are newbies. Thanks to all of them!!
Mike

I agree with Mike, make yourself up a small diorama and create a river or pond or something. You'll find that it isn't any where near as hard as you might think. The hardest part, in my opinion, is picking your colors and they will depend on where you live and what you are modelling. Try it and have some fun :D

Back