Search results

1. M

Model Building Skills - Really need to improve them!

Ok, I've built a bunch of buildings, I've played around a lot with my air brush to prime and paint them, but I'm still lacking the ability to have the N scale buildings come out close enough to what I would like and more importantly as good as I know others achieve... I know the more models I...
  2. M

Painting white steel, looking for suggestions

Hello. I just got a new DPM "gold kit" that is a feed and seed building and a farming implements... It's loaded, it has 4 John Deere tractors, two combines and several dozen small props that are white steel and I have no experience painting this stuff! I'm in N Scale and using an...
  3. M

Building a five siding N scale Yard, need scenicking advice

Hello I'm willing to put a LOT of effort to make my yard look as real as possible I'm laying all the track for it on a big piece of thin cork so I won't have to be worrying about roadbed etc I already bough a big bottle of woodland scenics cinders as I'm thinking using that both to ballast...
  4. M

Layout with river emptying into ocean, color change??

Ok my layout is going to be like 1/3 water with a river running all the way down into a 2 1/2' harbor For thr top of the river I'm definitely going with shallow water lined with small rocks and will have some scale fly fishing figures but when I get to the ocean I'm planning on having it far...
  5. M

New layout...what comes first?

Hello I'm just about to start a 4x8 N Scale layout that is about 1/3 water feature with a river running through it, emptying out into a seaside harbour The question is should I do all of the water feature stuff first and then lay track or just rough out the water and then do the traditional...
  6. M

Adapting ho plans to n scale?

Ok I'm totally new to this, I'm doing a 4x8 setup I'm working off of a really nice plan from the model railroader magazines web based plan database The original plan is fairly simple but still manages to have a long river and both a harbor and a cove plus a lot of road and train bridges over...
  7. M

Stupid newbie question I couldn't find already asked

So I'm starting from scratch, I'm going all with Atlas code 55 track and I wanted to know if two brands of locomotives and rolling stock would get along well as far as coupling to each other reliably... I'm looking pretty much at Atlas and Bachmann Will they work well together I'm...
  8. M

Anyone ever done a river and/or a harbor/bay?

My layout is going to have a river running from the top to the bottom (4' long) ending in a harbor with lobster boats and a fish/lobster shack I'm going to use 1" thick foam for base and cut the river al the way through... Should I make the river like 3/4"? Also not sure how wide to...
  9. M

Planning N scale layout with river ending in bay/harbor

Ok so I've got my N scale layout coming together and I have one nagging issue, on my 4x8 setup just a bit to the left of center I have a river planned to wind down from the very top to the bottom I'm hung up on what width to use for the river before it gets to the much larger harbor I have...
  10. M

What material, if any, to use as base layer?

Hello Building my first layout since I was a kid...n scale 4'x8' About 1/4 water (river and ocean harbor), 1/4 roads and 1/2 rail I read in one book or article that they recommended laying down a green grass like top layer It seems to me better to just do each area with its own...
  11. M

Newbie with dumb questions

Hello. I haven't done model trains since I was a kid, I'm in the planning stage for a 4'x8' N scale with dcc I'm hung up on what track to use, I'm torn between the kata snap track or atlas flex track Also, is atlas flex track 80 compatible with the 55 track? I'm definitely leaning...

Back