Search results

1. R

Bachmann Battle of the Coral Sea Monument

Still designing a layout for my son, I think I'm going to make the downtown have a roundabout (well, a squared one) like you see in some small towns here in Western Ky, but instead of having a courthouse in the middle have the war monument and a little park.
  2. R

cruzin ebay & i noticed ....

Uhm, I got an email from Reynauld's Monday advertising a Marklin Trix Liquidation sale. I don't really know what that is or if it's exactly the same thing (sorry I'm new to this) but maybe it caused a panic of sellers or some people are planning on doing a quick turnaround on a discounted item.
  3. R

Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

Train Derailed by... derailed train? Or: How NOT to move a derailed train. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJDxq0kK_c
  4. R

branchline without power?

Bare with me (newbie here), is it possible to make a branchline (hope that is the term) off the mainline of a track without any power to the branchline? Perhaps a system where I can turn power on and off? I'd like to effectively store one train parked on the track, at say a passenger station...
  5. R

Bachmann Battle of the Coral Sea Monument

My son picked out that set last fall at a shop in Louisville, Ky... they had one left on clearance for $5, it was modeled in a gray color and came with a grass mat, some colored flower scatter, a couple benches, a couple trash cans, a couple mailboxes, and a couple firehydrants. I've noticed at...
  6. R

Question about online orders and restocking fees.

question I have a question that almost piggybacks on this. I ordered something from another online store only to find out it has to be shipped from Faller in Germany to the store to then be shipped to me. They had the item listed on their webpage with nothing to note that it wasn't in stock...
  7. R

Hello, new guy in KC with lots of questions.

How do you do the framework for a sheet of plywood? drill it in place under the edges with something through the middle or what?
  8. R

Telephone Poles

If you want most of them to look the same, just imagine an ice storm hit the area, that's what happened here, nearly snapped every pole (3,000 poles were down between my house and the power plant less than 30 miles away). But to complete the theme you're going to have to cut away half the...
  9. R

Local Hobby Shop Versus Internet

No real hometown Hobby shop but not too far from a chain one (Hobbytown USA) and about an hour from a LHS in Bowling Green that I want to check out soon, hope it's good and hope to do some business with them in the future. If it's anything like other niche market stores in the age of Internet...
  10. R

Port Solway - England in 1905

I love it. I would love to do an English countryside type of layout one day but it seems there isn't much availible in that style, seems there's a ton of German stuff though. Maybe you guys have some suggestions?
  11. R

If you want to go the cheap route just to see if your daughter will have any interest you could pick up a set from Hobby Lobby and make sure you print off their 40% off one item thing from their webpage (then a $10 set becomes a $60 set). If this is anything like my other hobby (Subbuteo--table...
  12. R

Code 100 Steel Track vs Nickel Silver

Let's say my son gets a set for Christmas that comes with steel and I pick out a starter set that comes with N/S. Over the long-run I plan to replace the steel with N/S so maybe I leave it in chunks where it isn't glued down and where it is easy to manipulate to replace, will I have any issues...
  13. R

Hey, I'm a new guy here too so I can't offer you much advise but thought I'd say you're not alone. It seems you have a time period in mind so that's a leg up on me (I'm doing this with my son so I imagine it will start as a horrible hodge-podge of things that catches his fancy--including a...
  14. R

First layout (HO) Help

I guess I meant the pre-cut wood planks at Lowes or Home Depot... I made a bookcase out of that stuff once a decade ago, painted it and put some varnish and even though it's been in my basement at our house for 7 years there has been no warping so I guess that would do (also I could use MDF...
  15. R

Local Hobby Shop Versus Internet

Took my 7 year old to the LHS to give an idea of what was out there and to see if they had any free catalogues, well, we didn't buy anything but man was it fun to see his excitement at EVERYTHING! Nothing beats that feeling as a kid seeing something like this for the first time. His head was...
  16. R

New, in Western Kentucky

Near Owensboro, a few hours from you... I should add that when I was a kid there were railroad tracks behind my house... like thirty feet from it! My parents had a small grociery store with a deli and the train would stop there to let the workers go in and get sandwhiches. Sometimes my...
  17. R

whats your main industry

citrus I'd love to see that. I would like to do something agricultural in my layout so that would be perfect!
  18. R

New, in Western Kentucky

Hello, I'm new to model railroading and find myself into it because my seven year old son wants a model train system and I am very excited about this as well. I've half-heartidly been into Subbuteo (an English tabletop game of soccer involving 00 scale figures on bases and some even build full...
  19. R

First layout (HO) Help

I like that, and even have a tie to the area (my dad bought produce for years at the Cordele market for his produce company), but I have two concerns: 1) the amount of woodwork needed, or is that simple pre-cut shelf-like wood with some minor framework under them? 2) My son wants a bit more...
  20. R

First layout (HO) Help

So my son wants a model railroad and he has a November birthday so between that and Christmas, looks like I'm building a model railroad... soon. I don't have the carpentry tools or skills to pull off anything too big so I'm probably looking at the dreaded 4'x8' table with a Madison Central...

Back