Search results

1. N

How to construct a fun operating yard

I have a space of roughly 3 to 4 feet by 9 to 12 feet that I can construct a railyard in. The scale is G scale. Anyone out there can suggest or provide some help with this? I have thought about a turn table, and many other ideas for just being able to switch out engines, or a few cars. Any...
  2. N

Need some help

Does anyone know of a company or person who makes multi scale track? By this I mean track that will allow for the operation of more than one scale such as HO and N scale? It does not bother me if the track has multiple rails, I just want to be able to run many different sizes on the same track.
  3. N

Modeling the Cuban Railroad

After some long time thinking, I got to realizing that the best area of the world that fits my tastes for model railroading is Cuba. I came to this decision upon the following realizations: 1. There is no where else on earth where Steam Engines and Diesel Engines actually run side by side up to...
  4. N

How do you wire this for DCC?

How would I wire this for DCC?
  5. N

Most complex track plan?

I am interested to know what is the most complex track plan for a model railroad? I am asking, because I am trying to get more ideas on how to use turnouts and level crossovers/junctions together to create interesting and space saving elements. I know of the Wye, double cross over, two single...
  6. N

First try with JMRI and Digitrax

Today I finally got my "PR3XTRA SoundFX USB Decoder Programmer". Now I did not feel like purchasing a brand new touch screen computer to try this out with as I had my doubts if I could get it to work. Anyhow I had an old Acer Netbook laying around that I got from 2009. It came with Windows XP...
  7. N

Peco Narrow Gauge Question

Does anyone know if Peco's Narrow Gauge engines such as this one http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3309,3316&CAT_ID=3318&P_ID=17175 will work on regular HO track? I think it might be interesting to have a European engine on my layout, and want to know if it is compatible. Thanks.
  8. N

The Twisted Sticks Railroad

After doing some more research on Narrow Gauge railroads, more specifically their yard configuration, I have come up with this track plan for my On30 layout. It is based off of the Durango and Silverton Line. The entire layout is based off of Bachmann EZ track, I do plan use Fast Tracks for...
  9. N

DCC decoder for accessory buildings

Since DCC takes the power off the rails, I would like to solder a wire onto each of my rails, and hook it up to a DCC decoder, so that I can turn on say an accessory building's lights with the push of a button on my DCC controller. My question is, what DCC decoder would I need to be able to do...
  10. N

New Layout Plan

Since I am using Bachmann EZ track, I decided to revise my current layout plan which looks like: To this: The color coding of the lines, is to help me see that on a double track figure 8, that the inner track of one loop becomes the outer track of another. There are 2 reversing loop...
  11. N

3 way level crossing (3 way level junction)

I have a need on an HO layout for a 3 way level junction. All current junctions just support 2 tracks crossing at a specified angle. Is there such a thing, and if so who makes it? I cannot seem to find one online, but then again it is hard to search as the terms/keywords bring up a lot of...
  12. N

Max Track Voltage

I am currently using a DCS51 from Digitrax, and the rated track voltage is 13V. I was wondering what is the highest track voltage one can use for On30 Bachmann engines, before burning the engines out. I know that I should be able to go up to 15 Volts with a booster, as that is what HO uses, I...
  13. N

Creating a climbing mountain section on a layout.

I am currently working on creating a climbing mountain scene for my On30 layout. Narrow gauges from what I can gather are always the classic on the edge of the mountain climbing upwards type of thing. Perhaps someone could answer these questions for me: 1. Would a slope of 1.75% be acceptable...
  14. N

Bachmann DCC turnouts

I have searched for hours as well as tried endless ways to fix the following problem, hopefully someone on here knows the answer. Using digitrax, I programmed two turnouts under the same number address to function together to form a passing siding. However when one switch is "thrown" the other...
  15. N

On30 Questions

I have been doing some general research on the web about On30, and would like to know if anyone has the answers to these questions, and if so, please provide the answer(s). 1. Is Bachmann the main supplier of On30 trains, or are there other manufacturers who make an assortment of rolling stock...
  16. N

Need some advice and pointers

Okay here is what I am trying and wishing to accomplish, and I would like to know the best way of doing it. All suggestions/ideas/advice is welcomed and appreciated. I have a 10 foot by 10 foot space, and would like to accomplish the following in a layout design: 1. Maximum focus on...
  17. N

My O gauge layout addition

My O gauge layout goes around on a shelf around the perimeter of the rooms. I added this on top of the existing shelf. It was a geometric challenge as I had to learn how to draw elliptical arcs. Regardless I think it turned out excellent. Enjoy.
  18. N

Going to attempt something different

Every model railroad I have seen focuses centerly around freight and freight operations. After digging more into passenger railroad operations. I will be attempting to make an HO layout focused on passenger operations. When I took more looks at passenger train service, I never realized how...
  19. N

Question about Short Line Railroads

Does anyone have any information on how a short line running mixed cargo (Passenger and Freight) configure its yard? I mean surely they would not have the capital or the resources to have a separate freight yard from the Passenger Station Terminal. Ideally having two separate yards would not be...
  20. N

Some advice please

I am planning on creating a 16 foot long by roughly 2 foot wide O gauge layout. Ideally I am aiming for a point to point style layout. Having little experience to none in making a point to point layout, could someone please provide me with some suggestions or general rules of thumb? For those...

Back