Search results

1. F

Multi Scene Layout

I have only made one layout, but if I ever do another I think I would like to try something different. It would be nice to have a layout in mountians, like the L&N for example. Also I would like one along the Florida coast like FEC with all the palms and such. Which one to have? Why not...
  2. F

Masking couplers for weathering cars

I am ready to try out my new airbrush on a few cars. I am going to do the truck and wheels first in a grime light over spray and see how they look. No problem there as I'll have both off the car body. But if/when I decide to weather the cars what is the best way to mask off the coupler...
  3. F

Cleaning a airbrush

Kinda a basic topic, but I got a new airbrush, a Badger Patriot 105. I have read how to strip it down but I was told I don't have to do all that unless I start having problems. I was told to just clean out the bowl good and run thinner through it until clear, then put the tip of the brush...
  4. F

This will be easy.

At least that's what I thought when I started painting my F7 A and B unit in black and yellow ACL. Using my old Testors external mix airbrush, more like a mini spray gun, I painted both units black. No problem. Then I masked off the section for the bottom which takes yellow and applied a...
  5. F

Portable air tank for airbrushing?

Any of you guys use this instead of a airbrush compressor? The set up I have now works for my cheapo Testors external mix airbrush. It came with a cap to use on cans of propellent (hairspray size) and this fits right onto the top of my tank. I use a Black and Decker workmate pump to...
  6. F

Shells for Athearn Locos

I was going to order 3 shells from HH and found out they don't come with the detail kit (rails, glass, horn, etc.). In fact they don't have the cab or the db hsg as well in at least the kind I was looking to get. Kinda strange, really. It would seem like they would have a pack with these...
  7. F

Wire for an F7 A and B unit (rails, irons)

I am painting a Athearn F7a and b unit in the Atlantic Coast Line Black and Yellow color. I have done a few freight cars and a couple of cabooses but this is my first attempt at a loco. Besides being a fan of the old ACL the paint design is quite less complex than some. The side grills I...
  8. F

Athearn GP-38-3 shell and GP40-2 chassis

I was going to paint these shells and was wondering before I bought them if the are interchangable with a Athearn GP40-2 shell. It appears they will fit with no problem. I want o be able to swap them out with eachother, using the same chassis. These shells are old ones BTW, from the early...
  9. F

I need a new camera

Getting tired of black power flash burns on my arms! We have a 35mm point and click but I want to take some close shots of my train layout as well as pictures at a little longer distance as well, such as some of my boat or cats. Digital is the way to go but I know nothing much about them...
  10. F

Crossing Signals

I would like to get a set of flashing crossing signals (HO) for my layout. The type they had in the '6o's. I don't want the type with the gates. I would be happy to have some without the track sensors, not sure how those hook up anyway, just a set where I could turn them on with a toggle switch...
  11. F

Busy cutting "pulpwood"

After reading past posts here I decided at last to add pulpwood to my cars. I am glad I have only 3 of them at the moment as this is not a quick project. We have cedar here and I wanted a southern pine look so that's what I am going with. First, I made a mold if you will out of the type...
  12. F

Not mine, but a great layout

Thought you guys would like to see this. Whoever did this is a true master, don't know if it is a club layout or not, but beautiful work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OzVP42opgs
  13. F

Trimming turnouts

Looks like I am going to have to shorten one of my turnouts in order to have an acceptable (18 rad) curve. It is the type where the inner track is an 18 rad and the other is a straight. The part I am going to have to trim is the end from the points. Problem is when I laid my track I...
  14. F

Removing a Athearn Motor

I have an HO scale switcher that is very noisy. Bought it new years back, always has been. Finally got around to checking it out, don't run yard switchers much, and the flywheel is hitting the shell. The motor is loose which is probably allowing this but how do I remove and especially...
  15. F

Loco shorts out.

I found the problem, but it was the last thing I looked for... I had finished replacing the drive gears on my 2 Proto-2000 GP-7's and had one on my track cleaner when it just died. The other one ran good, so I hooked up a volt meter and when I applied power to the dead one voltage dropped to...
  16. F

Loco's you just had to have but...

...don't really have a place on your layout. I know most of us have done this. I myself have 2, a Florida East Coast Road Switcher and a SW-1500, the River Street Rambler from Savannah, GA. I have no palm trees on my layout so the FEC stands out, I use it hooked to other engines as a "just...
  17. F

Con-Car Pass. Cars, converting couplers.

This is a project I am about to undertake. I have 12 of these type cars, all with the horn hook couplers still. I plan to convert to kadee couplers with the coupler box attached to the car frame rather than the truck. A problem I see what might develope is the style of the trucks. The...
  18. F

Super Elevation Anyone?

I considered this when building my layout but chose not to. It seemed the physics would simply not work on HO scale and would lead to derailments except possibly on trains running at break neck speeds. Have any of you tried this with good results?
  19. F

Pizza Cutters for Atlas Locos?

I have 3 Atlas RS-3's I bought new about 15 years back. All run great on my layout except one that derails in the same spot. All my other locos, approx. 45 of them run good through this section including 4 others which are Atlas. The flanges on my RS-3's are pretty shallow, I suppose to be...
  20. F

The wheel cleaning method works great!

I used to clean my loco wheels by taking the things out and using a bright boy. Took forever and as some of you pointed out, not a good idea to use a bright boy for this. Last night I got my last 2 pieces of straight track and joined them together, it was just long enough to do the job...

Back