Search results

1. M

Burlington Northern Crane Car & Boom Tender?

I've been all over the internet looking for information on who made an HO scale BN crane car and boom tender, and when. A friend of mine has a BN tender from his dad's model train collection. I'm curious to know who made it and when. It resembles the very "popular" Tyco A.T. & S. F. crane car...
  2. M

I Found A Conrail Jordan Spreader Today

It took some research to identify what this is. It's not very well maintained as far as needing some fresh paint, but I'm pretty sure it gets used. It's located on the class 3 Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern railroad. I'm guessing it's owned by CSX. These are the best pictures I could get from my...
  3. M

Driving In Heavy Lake Effect Snow This Morning

I took my son to the airport this morning at 2:30. The lake effect snow was coming down hard at times, and the high wind gusts weren't helping with the lack of visibility. For anyone who has never experienced driving through lake effect snow, especially at night, trust me when I say that it's...
  4. M

I Need Some Ideas For Making A Control Panel

I'm at the point in my layout build where I need to design and build a control panel for all of my Atlas DC switches, controllers, and 2 or 3 power packs. I plan on mounting a piece of plywood on a pair of heavy duty drawer slides, so that I can pull the panel out like a drawer when I run...
  5. M

Let's Talk Couplers...

I'll admit that I don't know anything about couplers. All I know is that I have the old plastic style couplers from the 1980's or earlier, and I don't even know what they're called. Are these old couplers compatible with any of the newer style couplers? Bachmann simply calls them "loco...
  6. M

How Do You Diagnose/Fix Locos That Don't Run?

Yesterday I decided to test all of my locos. They've been stored since bought new more than 20 years ago, and about half of them don't work, while others run just fine. My next step is to service all of them and hopefully get the non-working locos to run. I've ordered the proper model train lube...
  7. M

Building My First Layout

This is a work in progress, so please be patient. I'll start with a little backstory... My dad died in 2002. I inherited roughly half of my dad's model railroad stuff, to include track, locomotives from many different eras, rolling stock and landscaping supplies. I believe he bought this stuff...
  8. M

New Member From Northern NY

New to the forum, and new to "modern" model railroading. I had various model train sets as a kid, in HO and N scales, but the last time I had a working model train set was around 1977. I still have that HO Athearn passenger trains, but somewhere over the years, the oval track and power pack came...

Back