Search results

1. AyTrane

Brewery Questions

On my previous layout I used the champion meat packing plant as my part of my brewery and the DPM Terra Surplus Window Warehouse as the bottling plant. The cattle chutes that come with the packing plant were repurposed for moving product from one building to the other via conveyor (and piping...
  2. AyTrane

JMRI - NCE - decoder question

FYI, USB stands for Universal Serial Bus, which is why you have to choose a Serial Port. Not like the serial ports from back in the day fortunately!
  3. AyTrane

Weekly Photo Fun Feb. 28 - Mar. 5

Everyone looks like they are having fun this week! All I have been doing is organizing and speed matching...
  4. AyTrane

Autonomous model trucks

Wunderlands display is even more incredible in person! I have three faller vehicles so far, a truck, a pickup, and a van; I like them. I plan to get more in the future, but they are at least $100/ea. The novilty is fun, but I probably could have done without them. Designing roads that are...
  5. AyTrane

MRC Decoder Doctor

I've never found programming CVs on the MRC system tedious. Once you're in CV mode, you can go to town, probably faster than it takes to boot up the computer (not that they don't each have their pluses and minuses). That being said, I don't know what benefit a stand alone programmer has if you...
  6. AyTrane

Weekly-Photo-Fun-Dec-26-Jan-1

Back when the E6's were made, it probably would have been delivered in the Halloween scheme, however Daylight probably would have been more appropriate. I like the Scarlet and Lark schemes, and felt like painting it along with the SD7s. As I was looking through the Proto box, I noticed this...
  7. AyTrane

Weekly-Photo-Fun-Dec-26-Jan-1

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday experience. I don't expect too much from this thread over the next week, but I'll throw in what I've been working on. Over the last couple weeks I have been painting and decaling two SD7's and an E6 into the SP blood nose scheme. All three are Proto 2000...
  8. AyTrane

Weekly Photo Fun Dec. 18 - 25

Been working on the helix. This wasn't necessary for operation, but will give me the option to run continuous loops rather than point to point. I wasn't happy with how much room a helix took up, so never incorporated one in my plan two years ago when I started the layout, so it's sort of...
  9. AyTrane

Mixing MRC DCC Systems

Yes, 128 is a standard value. For example, if you wanted to program two locomotives to a consist address of 10, but one running forward and the other reverse, you would set CV19 to a value of "10" on the first unit, and a value of "138" on the second unit. If both units were to run forward, they...
  10. AyTrane

A Derailment

I've always had issues with hopper cars. It could have just been the perfect storm of events that caused the derailment. If it isn't repeatable, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it happens again.
  11. AyTrane

WPF Dec. 8 - 13

Mmmm, Boysenberry.
  12. AyTrane

WPF Nov. 24 - 29

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, and that you found some time to play with the trains. I did a little painting this week.
  13. AyTrane

Wpf 9/20/15 - 9/26/15

Nice work everyone! I'll keep this thread rolling. More work on the peninsula; this time focusing on the lumber camp.
  14. AyTrane

N Scale Tehachapi Pass Large Model Railroad Layout Cab Ride & Tour (with signals!)

Wow, that layout is huge. It's like a big bowl of spaghetti, but at least it is well built and the track seems to serve a purpose. It make for a fun operating session!
  15. AyTrane

pewter trackside boxes

Hit them with a light coat of primer first and they should.
  16. AyTrane

casting rocks

Weight plays a huge factor in plaster. Depending upon what is supporting your rocks, you may have to go with Hydrocal. I myself used Plaster of Paris because of convenience. I also added reinforcement to the sub structure to deal with the added weight. If you keep your castings thin, it won't be...
  17. AyTrane

The Nebraska Central HO Model Railway

I remember when this layout was set up for the Western Heritage Museum (currently the Durham) in basement of the old Union Station. At least until a few years ago, you could still make out the outline if the layout on the concrete floor. Thanks for the video, I miss that layout dearly.
  18. AyTrane

Wpf 08/15 - 08/22

Nice work everyone! I've gotten a little farther on the peninsula. Most of the painting for the completed areas is done, only some odds and ends left. I've started adding dirt in areas. Ground foam and static grass will be added on top of this in the next step.
  19. AyTrane

Switch address range?

You know, I really appreciate seeing a track plan like this because it shows the versatility of this hobby. Some people are in it to develop complex scenes and some are in it just for the fun of running trains. I'm jealous of the amount of track you were able to fit into the given space, but I...
  20. AyTrane

Switch address range?

I know for sure that the 256 count is at least accurate, I think other accessories may dictate anything higher. I numbered my turnouts in ranges with room for additions. For example, the lowest level of track has 1-99, while the mid level is 100-199, and the upper level is 200-256. Somewhere in...

Back