MRC Decoder Doctor

I don't see anything it does that's significantly different or easier than the Digitrax 402 throttles. Maybe I'm missing something.

Well since JMRI is free to be the "poor man's JMRI" it would have to be less then free.

How does that work?

DecoderPro is a better solution.

JMRI may be free but you still have to have the interface for your track to computer, plus a computer to use. Many, but not all, have a laptop to at least share for their railroads, some may still be stuck with a tower........not very portable.

This post is what made me think about it: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?38770-JMRI-with-laptop-question(s)

I was surfing and came across this. I wondered how it would be much easier than programming with my Zephyr Xtra. Personally, I don't think Digitrax is that complicated but from reading all the posts to the contrary, I was curious as to the advantages, if any, this would offer. I don't have an operating layout, so the only time I do any programming is when I am installing a decoder. A quick refresher with the manual and all is usually good.

Many of my locos have sound decoders. They can have hundreds of CVs.

With DecoderPro you enter the values into the appropriate boxes and click one of the "write" buttons.

Doing the same with a throttle or the MRC device means entering CV mode, entering the CV number, entering the CV value and pressing the "save" key. That is going to be extremely tedious if you have to do many CVs.

For all of my locos I set a speed table - right there it is 28+ values. Even that is going to be tedious doing it one CV at a time.

I also am using the speed table to set the bottom and top speed of the loco and this involves some trial and error. With DecoderPro it is fairly painless.

The MRC device is about $75. You can get a new, entry level laptop for $125-$150. The interface device depends on your DCC system but it's going to be $25-$60.

Unless you really enjoy doing tedious things you will find DecoderPro a much more pleasant experience.

My two cents.

I've never found programming CVs on the MRC system tedious. Once you're in CV mode, you can go to town, probably faster than it takes to boot up the computer (not that they don't each have their pluses and minuses).

That being said, I don't know what benefit a stand alone programmer has if you already own an MRC system.

Back