Search results

1. ICG/SOU

Southern Railway steam decals?

I know Champ did them. Does anyone out there know who else? I've got a Bachmann Spectrum USRA Light 2-10-2 that I want to convert to a SOU Ss1 class, and need to change the decals (currently lettered for SBD). Microscale doesn't do SOU in steam. Thanks very much.
  2. ICG/SOU

Steam weathering questions

I've only really seen current working steam and preserved static displays, so my experience is limited. I have two steam locos (Bachmann 2-10-2 and P2K Heritage 0-6-0) that I want to lightly weather, and to me, lightly weathering is some dullcote, painting the wheelsets, couplers and trucks...
  3. ICG/SOU

Atlas coil cars

I got mine last weekend, and finally sat down yesterday and did some work on them. They're really nice, and the painting is good. Some differences from the Atlas cars I've gotten in the past, though, like: 1) different wheels and trucks. The trucks are pretty close if not the same ones that...
  4. ICG/SOU

Anyone have a recent release Atlas U23B Silver?

I'm looking at getting one, but need to know how the arrangement is inside the shell. I know that Atlas doesn't always use the A-frame speaker mounts (which use the 30mm speakers facing inward, over the rear truck/rear drive line) in its Silver locomotives, but if they do in this case, I have...
  5. ICG/SOU

Technical support for decoder or locomotive problems

It hasn't happened here that I've seen, but in the shop we've had a couple of customers of late that called with issues and it was very difficult to give support over the phone when the customer had difficulty giving us the right or relevant information. If you have to ever call in to a shop or...
  6. ICG/SOU

Roll Tide!

http://nditech.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2702754 How cool is that?
  7. ICG/SOU

Source for OMI repair parts?

I have a customer's locomotive (a OMI U28CG from 2000) with a broken bolster (basically the only plastic part on it, the one that the side frames attach to and hold the truck onto the frame). It doesn't appear to be repairable. I called OMI and was given the number of someone who purchased...
  8. ICG/SOU

Proto 2K GP30 BN2236

I've got this GP30 from Proto 2K that a customer wants me to install DCC, sound, and lights. In looking at prototype pictures from the same number class, it looks like we'll be adding a beacon where the horn is (and move the horn back to the left side of the small fan). What I don't know is...
  9. ICG/SOU

Why doesn't Atlas make more GP7s and GP9s?

I've worked on two and they have been a pleasure to put sound in. The chassis frame is all metal so you have a nice amount of weight that you don't have to remove, and can be easily detailed like a Athearn Blue Box can. The interior of the shell is wide open for both speaker and decoder, and...
  10. ICG/SOU

Working on new locos

I opened up two locos to put sound in today, one is an Athearn Trainmaster and the other an Athearn SD9. Both are immaculate on the inside, with no rust or corrosion or anything, but both do have Jet motors and silver flywheels. I figure I'll call the customer on Tuesday to see if he wants to...
  11. ICG/SOU

Minutiae: 4 axle locomotive truck sideframes

Ok, I need some help. I know what the difference is between Blomberg B and Blomberg M sideframes. I sorta know about Flexicoil. What I don't understand is the difference between Alco, GE-B, and AAR-B. Some of what I can see is the springs (including the leaf springs) as a difference, as...
  12. ICG/SOU

Athearn RDCs and DCC

Hi, A fellow brought in a couple of these to the shop in order to put DCC in. I took the shells off, and one had a regular gold Athearn can motor, with older driveshafts and rubber bands. The other had a Jet motor with the same drive assembly. He wants to repower (had two used Mashimas...
  13. ICG/SOU

Marker lights for a caboose

I barely remember seeing cabooses when I was young and don't have any immediate sources to make my own, so I'm here for help. Did all railroads (post 1960s) use a single flashing red light for a marker? Did any of them use solid red lights? What is the purpose of the light mounts on some...
  14. ICG/SOU

My first steamer

I have a Athearn Genesis USRA 2-8-2 (Light Mikado) that I'm putting sound in. When I test ran the loco on the DC track, something in the drive is binding. I'm not sure all the terminology involved in the world of steam, but on the exterior, nothing seems to be rubbing up against each other...
  15. ICG/SOU

Anyone had issues with Tsunami TSU-750s and overheating?

I've worked on two locomotives lately (an Athearn RTR RS3 and a Proto2K SW8) and used 3 different -750 decoders (two in the RS3 and one in the SW8), and both got too hot and stopped working after barely any track time. With some creative millwork I was able to get a TSU-1000 in the RS3 (after...
  16. ICG/SOU

Building a locomotive from the frame up using A-Line

I'm looking at repowering an older (1980s) SW7 Athearn by buying a new frame (the Mashima motor I have doesn't fit without milling the frame), power trucks, and drive line. I was thinking after looking around on the site of building up a couple of SD40s or a GP38-2 with one of the powered...
  17. ICG/SOU

Can locomotives handle more weight

I just installed ditch lights on two of my Athearn wide cabs (one an SP Dash 9 and the other a BSNF AC4400CW), and while I was in there, I added weight where I could fit it, because I've seen several derailments and wheel slippage on other locomotives that I could attribute to weight. I was...
  18. ICG/SOU

Kato SD40-2 and the KT Tsunamis

Will any one of these (the one for the F40PH or the SD45) fit in a new Kato SD40-2 (HO scale)? I'm looking to do a project or two, and wanted to see about adding sound using the new KT boards. Thanks in advance.
  19. ICG/SOU

Kaslo shell

Anyone used one of these? How is the detail? I'm looking at building a GP10 with a P2K GP9 chassis, and can't find a picture of one online. Thanks.
  20. ICG/SOU

Branchline Rolling stock sold to Atlas

I don't know if this is old news, but here you go: Atlas press release I have a handful of Berwick 50' boxcars from Branchline, and found them to be very nice kits for me to build. More work than older Athearn, or BevBel, or MDC/Roundhouse, Bowser, or Accurail kits I've done in the last...

Back