Search results

1. GandG_North

Granite Gorge and Northern - Ohio (cont'd)

Hey Iron, Yes, that is how they are supposed to work, and did for several weeks. Only after I completed painting the track (acrylic paints) did the problem arrive. The led lights indicate which path is active. My intent is to replace this cardboard panel with a real setup. I've never had the...
  2. GandG_North

Hi everyone. I see there was some recent interest in this project from another thread I had created way back when I began, so in order to try and keep the updates in one thread, here's where I am: I'm still here! Yes, I haven't posted for a while. I'm trying to get my model railroading mojo...
  3. GandG_North

Returning to my old Granite Gorge and Northern layout

I'm still here! Yes, I haven't posted for a while. I'm trying to get my model railroading mojo back. I purchased and installed and wired some controls for my turnouts and had "completed" most of that work. I wasn't real happy with the end result though, but everything did work and I was able to...
  4. GandG_North

Thanks for the ideas, otiscnj. Yes, one drawback to this layout is the 18" radius curves, but I'll just learn to live with it. I constructed this layout way back when I was in my 20's. I didn't know anything (and still have lots to learn) about railroading or model railroading at the time, I...
  5. GandG_North

I'll check that out. The bridges are one of the things on my wish list to upgrade.
  6. GandG_North

Here's an update on my first attempt at one of four tunnels. This is, hopefully, the most difficult of the four, since it is curved (well, all of them will be) and has a slight elevation difference between the two tracks. It was a lot of work (close to 12 hours!!), but as it went along, found...
  7. GandG_North

Hello everyone. Just some updates on the layout. After a lot of research and looking around and researching some more, I decided to go with MegaPoints Controllers out of the UK for my turnout controls. I purchased an Arduino Mega and an Arduino Motor Shield that I intended to use for this...
  8. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

I was able to find and download an app for my android phone called "Clinometer" from here. Thanks for the idea, Glenn. Very useful. Never crossed my mind and seems so obvious.
  9. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

Here's my end result. Part of the problem was due to having a short (1-1/2") piece of brass sectional track connected to the bridge track, followed by 1/3 of an 18" radius curve sectional track to the right, followed by a two 18" radius curve sectional pieces. The track would just bend at sharp...
  10. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

that's quite a chorus of flange squeal!
  11. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

Very impressive work! Thanks for the informations!
  12. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

thanks for the info, kjd. cool experience, I bet!
  13. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

Thanks, Smudge! It's my first attempt at a layout. I was awed by the pictures in the Atlas "book" that I had bought back in early 80s'. It's been fun. Expensive, but fun. The more I get done, the more I want to spend.
  14. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

Thanks, Rico. If you come across them sometime, please share a couple. No rush.
  15. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

Hey log, that might be easier (shims), and I can do that simply enough. I'll try that first. If I end up lowering one end of the bridge, there's still enough clearance. If there isn't, I can make some can opener bridge videos.
  16. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

Anyrail tells me it's about 3.8%. I don't have an easy way to verify that, but I think it would be close. It's only on the single-track bridge that I'm having this issue.
  17. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

You said it better than I did, Topherisme, and that's exactly what I'd like to do. It'll amount to about 1/4" over a section of bridges that span about 24"-30". I don't know if that'll even be noticeable, but I think it will be. So yes, I'm not sure this type of bridge would be built with one...
  18. GandG_North

Bridge Rails on a Grade

Are there any prototypical examples of a bridge on a grade? In other words, a bridge deck that is not level. I have a spot on my layout where I'd like to lower one end of a bridge (really, a series of bridges connected end to end) to resolve a problem, but not sure a bridge in this condition...
  19. GandG_North

Buying stuff for a model railroad - frustrating

correction: The loco I purchased is CSX line, not Erie Lackawanna
  20. GandG_North

Buying stuff for a model railroad - frustrating

Found that ALCO type - C630 Although it being a six-axle, won't work too well on my 18" radii. Oh, and this has another nickname for ALCO - All Liquids Come Out

Back