Bridge Rails on a Grade

How about this one

1403547_743204875734498_6728954444512304520_o.jpg

GandG_North,
Don't know what phone you have. But there is an app called App Box, available on Apple's app store, that can measure slope. It is one of 14 apps included in App Box, which is free and is called Level. I have been using App Box for many years and have no other affiliation, other than as a satisfied user. In your situation you can actually measure the slope before the bridge and after, separately. Then you will see the exact difference. Once you correct the problem you can measure the exact position you fixed and know if it is truly fixed. Glenn

Now that is an interesting photo for a reason not connected to the subject matter at all. It is the train that is about to cross the bridge. It is of course, UP's Heritage Train and it shows very distinctly the finish on the coaches and by the looks of it the Loco at it's point, which I believe in this case to be Caterpillar's also showcase example #1201 which are all in a high gloss, high polished finish. Why then when choosing a finish for the Athearn Genesis #1201 model and Walther's Heritage edition coaches were all presented in flat paint. Are they blind or stupid?

Here's my end result. Part of the problem was due to having a short (1-1/2") piece of brass sectional track connected to the bridge track, followed by 1/3 of an 18" radius curve sectional track to the right, followed by a two 18" radius curve sectional pieces. The track would just bend at sharp angles where the track joiners were located close to and at the bridge.
I removed all those sectional pieces and removed the 9" long rails that slide into the Warren Truss bridge and replaced all that with a piece of 36" Peco flex track, removing the ties from the area that slides into the bridge, then continuing the flex track down the grade. Now the track just kinda naturally curves down, and I shimmed under the roadbed to bring it up to match the downhill curve of the track, reducing the shim thickness as the slope goes downhill. I did nothing to the bridge elevation.
Now it looks and runs better.
I'll clean it up when it comes time for scenery.
Thanks for all the info and photos.

hump 2.JPG

GandG_North,
Don't know what phone you have. But there is an app called App Box, available on Apple's app store, that can measure slope. It is one of 14 apps included in App Box, which is free and is called Level. I have been using App Box for many years and have no other affiliation, other than as a satisfied user. In your situation you can actually measure the slope before the bridge and after, separately. Then you will see the exact difference. Once you correct the problem you can measure the exact position you fixed and know if it is truly fixed. Glenn
I was able to find and download an app for my android phone called "Clinometer" from here. Thanks for the idea, Glenn. Very useful. Never crossed my mind and seems so obvious.

Back