Smaller engines

bns wrote in #22 above:
"Assume "No" 6 axle diesel or large steam engine will operate on 18"."

Hmmm...
I have HO Kato Unitrack.
Some of it is their 18.75" radius curved pieces.

I regularly run the following 6 axle and longer 4 axle units:
- Proto 2000 SD7/SD9
- Atlas SD35
- Bowser C628
- Bowser C430 (these are as long/longer than 6-axles)
- Proto 1000 RSC2

No problems. They all seem to run fine.
I DO have "long shank" couplers on some of them.

I'll agree that the modern "super large" 6-axles might pose problems.
But I wouldn't want any of those, anyway.

I DO have "long shank" couplers on some of them.
So it's a combination of both carriage rotation range, wheel base and coupling length/range that all come into play then? I plan on using a shorter 4 axle switcher type loco and shorter cars (<50') for the yard area, and was hoping to have the flexibility to possibly tighten a short turn or two slightly below 18" if needed.

The 2 Rapido's I have run flawlessly. Luck I guess. On the other hand I have had to send BLI products back for warranty work. One was sent twice, but in fairness to them they made it right and turnaround was fast.
I have my eyes on a Rapido MLM M-420 with sound at what I believe (in my rookie mind) is a good price. Supposedly new in box. They look amazing but I'm a bit leary of FB Marketplace. He's listing a choice of numbers about 35% off list price. Any thoughts in general? Would an M420 make out ok for switcher duties?

I have my eyes on a Rapido MLM M-420 with sound at what I believe (in my rookie mind) is a good price. Supposedly new in box. They look amazing but I'm a bit leary of FB Marketplace. He's listing a choice of numbers about 35% off list price. Any thoughts in general? Would an M420 make out ok for switcher duties?

A big road diesel doing local switching duties? Yes, that would look out of place.

Nothing wrong with large six axle diesel doing switching, the typical American six axle diesel has after all what is called "road switcher body", that's the idea of a hood unit. As the matter of fact the original idea of General Motors SD7 and SD9 was to perform heavy switching where it would take two four axle diesels normally to do the job. SD stands for Special Duty. In my area there is normally assigned a six axle unit to go on former New Holland Branch, either an SD40-E or SD60, both at one time front line road locomotives.

So an M-420 is similar in size to a GP50 then, and in no way suitable for switching duties? Hard to tell the size from just looking at a picture or video.
The thing is, it's your Railroad so it's your rules, if you are happy using a GP50 or M420 (and they can negotiate your newly planned curves) why not?

I mean, I run US locomotives with UK OO scale freight cars and UK OO scale locomotives with US freight cars, this hobby is also supposed to be fun.

So an M-420 is similar in size to a GP50 then, and in no way suitable for switching duties? Hard to tell the size from just looking at a picture or video.

Like others have said, it's your layout, have fun. I just personally think that a big road engine looks better with a long string of cars behind it and a SW1200, S2, center cab, etc looks better switching short strings of cars.

I always enjoyed the articles on the Moscow, Camden, and St Augustine RR running a mixed train with a center cab, SW900 or SW1200.

Like others have said, it's your layout, have fun. I just personally think that a big road engine looks better with a long string of cars behind it and a SW1200, S2, center cab, etc looks better switching short strings of cars.
I once tried using my DD40 as a switcher, as you can imagine, hilarity and carnage at the same time, the best ten minutes of the year that was. 🤣 🤣🤣

The thing is, it's your Railroad so it's your rules, if you are happy using a GP50 or M420 (and they can negotiate your newly planned curves) why not?

I mean, I run US locomotives with UK OO scale freight cars and UK OO scale locomotives with US freight cars, this hobby is also supposed to be fun.
I would be a hypocrite if i called you out on it🤣

I once tried using my DD40 as a switcher, as you can imagine, hilarity and carnage at the same time, the best ten minutes of the year that was. 🤣 🤣🤣
You're not far from reality. Back in 1917 Pennsylvania Railroad built what was a giant at the time experimental electric locomotive FF1. The thing was so damn powerful it kept ripping out couplers from freight cars when starting a train up hill. So they came out with a brilliant idea of using the monster in pusher service. The carnage it was causing was even worse, as the cars would physically pop out of the train when power was applied.

(and they can negotiate your newly planned curves)
Well that's the thing. I won't know for certain until the track is laid, but I don't want to impose limits on my layout by buying a mismatched loco right out of the gate. My existing inherited 4 x 8 layout has yet to be set up but I know once I get into this hobby that DCC is the way to go, so I'm trying to plan ahead. I'm staying with a 4 x 8 layout and will focus as much on scenery as on operations. Obviously being limited to 4 x 8, my curves will be 22 and 18-19 for the "mainline" but will also have a 4 track switching area within the outer loops. Is it safe to say the M420 is shorter than a GP50 or are they basically in the same class?

I can't find anywhere that has the actual length of either model, but on a 1:1 the GP50 is 59' 2" and the 420 is 60' 3" so in HO there's not going to much difference (if any) between them, sorry.

Last edited:
I can't find anywhere that has the actual length of either model, but on a 1:1 the GP50 is 59' 2" and the 420 is 60' 3" so in HO there's not going to much difference (if any) between them, sorry.
Well maybe I'll use the M420 as my mainliner, and park the GP50 until I convert it over to DCC, which means I'll still need a switcher. Dang this hobby can be expensive. lol Luckily my layout can only fit 2-3 locos max. Even 3 might be pushing it.

Well maybe I'll use the M420 as my mainliner, and park the GP50 until I convert it over to DCC, which means I'll still need a switcher. Dang this hobby can be expensive. lol Luckily my layout can only fit 2-3 locos max. Even 3 might be pushing it.
Plenty of 2nd hand switchers about

Broadway Limited has some refurbished GP20's at a great price, with full warranty. (General Purpose) A GP20 would look just fine as a road engine or switcher.

Broadway Limited has some refurbished GP20's at a great price, with full warranty. (General Purpose) A GP20 would look just fine as a road engine or switcher.

Being in Canada, my cost after shipping would be $270 US (well over $300 Cdn) plus any duties customs might throw on. :(

Is it safe to say the M420 is shorter than a GP50 or are they basically in the same class?
M420 is 61' long; a GP50 is 59'2". M420 was produced from 1973 to 1977 and almost all units went to Canadian RR's. GP50's were produced between 1980 and 1985, so if era/locale is important to you, take that into consideration.

EDIT - I see that Chris already posted this while I was typing.

I'm not to fussy about the general era really other than sticking to diesel and metal vs steam and wood. That said, there are some older diesels you'd swear are wood-fired, so anything from the late 70's to 2000's should work.

Back