Switching Saturday

The fog has lifted but hasn't burned off yet as OE 53 continues switching Junction City. Here the crew is putting the Nickel Plate box on the team track so they can get to the Frisco car on the second track over. The Frisco box is their last trailing point move before they run around the train and take care of all the facing point spots before they head back to Bear Creek yard.

They are carefully watching the clock in anticipation of train 21 showing up in just a little while. They need to couple onto the string of cars on the other track, then grab the cars off the team track and leave them all on the depot siding. They will keep hold of the Frisco box as they run around on the main. After the run around, the Frisco box will be in front of the loco for its spot and all the other cars will be behind for what are now trailing spots and pick ups. #53 will then take its train off the depot siding and cross over to the industries on the far side of the main in plenty of time for passenger train 21 to make its station stop.

The action was photographed on Charlie Comstock's BCSJ railroad set in 1952.

5310172.jpg

Great Model Switching everyone.
I have a short line outfit that switches part of the MRR here, the Hindsight Industrial RR (HIRX). Here it is with a couple units they own, two CF7's switching a tank farm at Morh Oil Co.
View attachment 154155

View attachment 154156

View attachment 154157

View attachment 154158

View attachment 154159

View attachment 154160

View attachment 154161

View attachment 154162

View attachment 154163

View attachment 154164

Thanks for taking a look.

Very nice Tom! I love the tight switching quarters, really looks good. I need to get going on my scenery work... I've been stuck in locomotive and rolling stock weathering limbo for too long now!

Z

Since I don't do videos, I will subject you to a series of pictures for Switching Saturday.
Among my seven grain elevators on the layout, I have one particularly large (for a layout) one for ADM. The elevator operator has 14 loaded covered hoppers to be picked up, and needs some empties. This is a big customer and the railroad generally takes good care of them.
Here's a pair of SD40-2's heading in with 16 empties.View attachment 154111
The full hoppers are on both the storage track and the loading track.
View attachment 154112
Leaving the empties on the main, the power makes the run-around on the siding.
View attachment 154113
The crew removes the caboose and shoves it down the siding.
View attachment 154125
Then they remove the cars from the loading track and push them down the siding as well.View attachment 154118
Then it's time for the ones on the storage track which were moved over there a few days earlier by the local passing by.
View attachment 154119
Then empties are moved from the main to the storage track and the loading track.
View attachment 154120
View attachment 154121
Power is attached to the full cars waiting on the siding, brake test is made and off they go.
View attachment 154122View attachment 154123
That's it for this week.

Looks great Willie... looks like nice spread of a layout!

Back