00 gauge, British railway, Goathland Station aka Hogwarts Station a real preservation station in England

Village
IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_2491.jpeg

IMG_5026.jpeg

I was discussing elsewhere how I terraform foam, and was asked if I do video how tos, which I don’t, but I will run through some here with pictures to help elaborate, I’ll start small and add tips, some items look more complicated because they are effective, and as I do them it will not be perfect so bear with me.

Over time I have tried terraforming in several ways, most were never quite right, until we decided to insulate the loft and we had a lot of foam left over, this led me to experiment and see if I could make use of the left overs, it became so successful I now use ful sheets on occasion, and different thicknesses depending on the job in hand, 25mm, 50mm (almost x2 in cost) 100mm (almost x4 in cost) means where possible I use the thinnest, to keep down price.

As I fell over this by chance there is no linear build up, I used it to save on the cost of specific ideas. that sais I open with a couple of the simpler ideas

A railway layout can be just railway tracks, but many of us want to add the buildings, railway and nearby, leading to roads, and kerbs.
and then we want them to look better and some want then to be able to fool people if only for a second, so being able to model scenic items becomes of interest.

1. A simple countryside road, a simple decorators foam block covered in sandpaper, run back and forth along the foam cutting a ‘road’

2 expanded adding a old well used road

3 then kerb edges, nee I sanded the centre added a tramline for the kerb then sanded outside, then used a screwdriver flat edge and pushed in to Denmark the seperate kerbstones, painted grey then added PVA to strengthen,
where I accident ripped the foam I added sone varnish to make a puddle and correct the damage, I added a thinned black brown at the kerb edge for the build up of dirt that occurrs, this was my first puddle but I like the idea and used it often

4,5,6 foam is also brilliant at pushing in detail like lampposts again PVA will strengthen the foam, and you can see I cut concrete slabs for the pavement, rough by hand but you see the idea, I paint over the PVA afterwards to avoid too much shine
IMG_0507.jpeg
IMG_1181.jpeg

and usually avoid major fails….lol
IMG_2234.jpeg
IMG_9347.jpeg
IMG_0671.jpeg
IMG_0143.jpeg

I could be more careful but am pretty gung-ho, once an idea occurs I tend to just go for it lol.
I always use the best vehicles to enhance the area, edges of roads often lose soil and take wear and tear and the turf is rarely pristine so I mix my textures.
IMG_3512.jpeg
IMG_5278.jpeg

The real thing
IMG_2534.jpeg

then my model
IMG_1894.jpeg

this is a real station and luckily if you look there are plenty of models that fit, the which is sat on insulation sheet, this is a large sheet which incorporates the platform (I’ll come to that later)
IMG_0848.jpeg

I use a scale ruler for 00, 1:76 and using aerial photos worked out the area I needed and then approximated the size of the cobbles (i used the building behind for reference)
IMG_9063.jpeg

I also cut in the inset tracks
IMG_0356.jpeg

at low angles compared to a real photo it can fool you initially I did a pencil markings, I ran a wagon to get the width, then using a fine head flat screwdriver indented, then used the PVA to Str then and paint, I used a darker grey initially and painted the lot, then a lighter grey drier for the tops inferring dirtier between the cobbles.
I use this example as I took photos as I went BUT I initiated and trialed the idea here where I just added a cobbled finish to add more texture and detail
IMG_0983.jpeg
IMG_2441.jpeg

plus here I added the grass textures, which gave a nice courtyard effect
i just pencil marked a grid then used a screwdriver run along a metal ruler, I have a long one meter ruler or a 12in ruler with sloped sides which is easier to grip and keep a truer line.
IMG_0850.jpeg

you can see the PVA before it dried
IMG_0856.jpeg

although I cut the ‘kerb’ roughly I added a blacker finish to infer shadow and even though the surface was flat managed to infer a raised level

Last edited:
I have tried several platforms, I was happier with each, but to date the insulation platform is my favourite, but to show how I arrived sone of the along the way
IMG_0852.jpeg

bought resin platforms, and no you really do not want to know the price….faints
IMG_0021.jpeg

passable but the brick is all red, and lumps out of the edge despite the price

then I tried these Peco plastic ones, they are fiddly the initial top of the flat form was not successful
DSC03949.jpeg

fixing the plastic to plastic was a pain I tried metal clamps plastic clamps
DSC03948.jpeg

I changed to strips of plasterboard which I found easier
IMG_1215.jpeg

angling the slopes was fun NOT but I got it done
IMG_6265.jpeg

as this reflected tarmac the colour was purposely not a single tone
IMG_6209.jpeg

the Peco starts to add up, but actually is pretty decent I have kept this
IMG_6316.jpeg

and tried various colour ways, I modelled this on Peterborough station and it’s platforms have different finishes
IMG_6314.jpeg

I coloured the sides with a concrete paint and added dirty water to weather the sides and avoid a pristine finish, this area also has concrete rails rather than wood.

However by the time we came to ripping out Goathland and redoing it insulation board was de facto. the tracks were on strips by them selves, then boards either side were supports for scenic areas
IMG_0756.jpeg

a decorators sanding block
IMG_0758.jpeg

cutting back then marking the stones
IMG_0724.jpeg

then coloured
euq8lt.jpeg

the real thing
post-8977-0-30607000-1378419586_thumb.jpeg

the real thing
IMG_0152.jpeg

the model
fyi the buildings are bought not made by me, the brick walls are bought resin, the camping coaches as bought,the metal steps in front of the coaches bought and repainted, I may at some point repaint the building to a creamier finish, but at times in its history it has been different colour and tones, even the stobe station can look very different in real photos, steam gey day and soot, washed, raining,just rained sunny the photo I use here is my preferred era, but pictures are hard to source so I work with what I can
IMG_1926.jpeg

vandals! The seat was rescued….

I cannot over emphasis the help of photographic reference, a good photo to follow will prove invaluable, when I model I just race through, but when I have a project in mind I do a lot of searching to find what I want to model
IMG_0966.jpeg

starting with the right size is not too difficult
IMG_0967.jpeg

deciding how to shape it is far easy if you have reference
IMG_0968.jpeg

it proves invaluable on getting the colours and tones as well as the physical
IMG_0969.jpeg

too light
a shade darker
IMG_0970.jpeg

easy with a secon coat and a touch more terracotta to the initial white paint, I use house paint for large project because that makes it cheap
IMG_0971.jpeg

I like the bright grass colours spring with colours, but the reality I s the planer colours work better, and I never use one flat colour, I mix three in different percentages as I work, as real grass is rarely a flat colour, and I purposely let a little ‘soil’ colour poke through, because it does
IMG_1956.jpeg

low angle photography helps with water features
IMG_1028.jpeg

evening light offers light effects
IMG_0158.jpeg

and the edge of water need not be grounded it is often cut away but will often have a darker tide line
IMG_1942.png

for good modelling find good reference photos

The cobbles and the platform gave me the confidence to take on the wall
IMG_1085.jpeg

a pencil a metal ruler then a kitchen knife, some grey paint thin wash all over into the crevices
then sone light terracotta left over from the slope, a slightly darker terracotta, and another thin grey i thinned the top of the wall.

I did nay one major mistake, after I fitted it, not something I want to tear our once it was sealed to the water feature I realised the photos I had were taken at an unfortunate angle, I had thought the top of the wall aligned with the floor or the carpark, never realising how dangerous that was, when I needed to do the carpark itself I got pictures from the other direction and realised there was a low wall!!! No I have to rake MY photos at the same angle to match the photos and not let me people realise the mistake! now this is a big secret so no telling on me!
IMG_1088.jpeg
IMG_1083.jpeg
12916071_10154079075471052_2448697498620341500_o.jpeg

faints!!!
IMG_1892.jpeg

had I seen THIS with the top of the car before I joined it all together……rats Rats RATS!!!
IMG_0211.jpeg

In the last picture, Jaz, love the sky. Certainly not a Summer's day. A feeling of 'must hurry home'.
The cutting is as it should be imo. The right amount of grass and earth. Well done.

May I make one small suggestion? Steam engines blacken the upper part of bridges etc. Use of dark powders subtly to darken the area. Don't overdo it. Many modellers do.

Keep up the very good work.

In the last picture, Jaz, love the sky. Certainly not a Summer's day. A feeling of 'must hurry home'.
The cutting is as it should be imo. The right amount of grass and earth. Well done.

May I make one small suggestion? Steam engines blacken the upper part of bridges etc. Use of dark powders subtly to darken the area. Don't overdo it. Many modellers do.

Keep up the very good work.
Very good point, thanks for the heads up, I blacked the interior and forgot the exterior

Back