The College Kid Layout Building Saga

Update:
View attachment 181664View attachment 181665View attachment 181666
View attachment 181668View attachment 181671View attachment 181672View attachment 181673

Finally got back to getting some work done on the layout. I have been working on some digital design projects for potential 3D prints, and some other school stuff has taken my time, but I sat down to work on some small things.

First, I started to build some benches and signs. I bought benches from Outland Models and assembled them. I cut apart a hot glue stick and used thumbtacks to secure the benches to the layout. I do this instead of gluing the benches directly down just so they are easier to remove in case the layout needs to be moved or stored.

I created the stop signs out of toothpicks and small hot glue cuts. I just printed out the signs on my printer. They are just stuck into the layout for easy removal as well. I am working on the railroad crossing signs right now.

Another small detail is that the Dairy Queen now has some signing on it as well. More signing will continue to pop up on some of the buildings.

I also carved out a 3d version of the Garibaldi G. I thought I needed something better for the iconic hillside monogram, and this turned out pretty good. It's made from some leftover pink stuff foam.

I have also finished up the ballast around the switch I recently installed. It is still drying, but the turnout looks good.

Finally, I added some people figures I glued to painted thumbtacks. They are just like the benches, easy to remove.

I am going to continue to work on the scenery on this side of the layout. I just need to flush out some remaining scene spaces before going all in. Stay tuned for more!
Nice update, I was wondering how things were going...

Dave LASM

Small Update:

20240218_222353.jpg
20240218_234102.jpg
20240219_145625.jpg
20240219_183049.jpg

A bit of a short one today. The other day I decided to try my hand at resin. I probably won't go this route for water again but I have backed myself into a corner and it is kinda my only option. I am going to let it sit for at least 5 days to see if anything happens. So far it has been 2 and nothing has dried. I used a regular epoxy resin for this and I did everything supposedly correct. The only few things that are a bit up in the air is the pour is a bit deep so I'm not sure if it will dry and the temp of the room isn't terribly warm. I am just going to hope that if I leave it for long enough something will happen. Someone let me know if I messed up bad or if this will turn out fine. Since I can't touch that half of the layout I am working on the other half. I have started mocking up some scenery and other bits here and there. I filled in the yard with litter and added some of my Dollar Tree plant cut outs under the gravel to add some foliage. I started adding a scenic base layer but I haven't had enough time to do it all. The empty corner still has no plan and I want to think of something to put there but I have nothing. Still thinking through ideas. Any input and help is greatly appreciated.

Don't feel bad if something doesn't turn out, nice thing about modeling these small things is they are generally easy to rip out. Pouring deep is usually a problem. Nice to learn these things early on.

A fence and some cows is always an option if you want to add interest in an odd shaped area. Some woods works, too.

Dave LASM

Don't feel bad if something doesn't turn out, nice thing about modeling these small things is they are generally easy to rip out. Pouring deep is usually a problem. Nice to learn these things early on.

A fence and some cows is always an option if you want to add interest in an odd shaped area. Some woods works, too.

Dave LASM
I won't. It is what it is sometimes. I just really don't want to have to rip that section up. I have consulted more knowledgeable resin people in regards to the pour to ease my nerves. I'm going to wait a while before even thinking about checking to see if it dried. It is a good lesson for the future.

In regards to the blank section, while I was writing the last post I thought maybe the suggestion of a partial lumber yard would work well there. Your woods comment solidified that. After all it is a PNW town, and there is a lumber yard there IRL.

Small Update:

20240219_183049 (1).jpg
20240223_181553.jpg
20240226_233127.jpg

20240221_145655.jpg
20240226_233321.jpg

Here is the super small update from the layout. I started throwing down some scenic base on the town scene. I have put in the ballast in the yard and am starting to green over the rest of the open space. I am still working on flushing out the rest of the space. The logging yard is still a work in progress. I have also started to add some trees to the other half of the layout. I bought about 40 more trees and they look pretty good. Maybe they are a bit too bright but I don't mind it too much. It adds a bit more to the layout. I am currently working on some custom cars for a side project so layout work is slow but we are getting to where I am wanting to be. Slowly but surely. More to come!

Small Update Again:

20240302_233912.jpg
20240303_184242.jpg

The work that goes into this update doesn't feel small but it sure is kind of small on the grand scope of things. As you can see I finished the base on the town scene and I am putting green on it as we speak. You can see that I have switched the location of the park since the last post. With the layout of the town IRL, it makes more sense to have the park over on the right. That being said I have put down some base layer for a logging yard in the left corner. Work on that has been good. All I need to do really is wait for the base to dry. Then I can put in the park and put in the logging yard details. The layout as a whole is starting to look pretty finished! I am happy with the work that I have done on this. I do have little details here and there to flush out so that will be the big thing after the base dries. Let me know what you guys think!

Small Update Again:

View attachment 183045View attachment 183046

The work that goes into this update doesn't feel small but it sure is kind of small on the grand scope of things. As you can see I finished the base on the town scene and I am putting green on it as we speak. You can see that I have switched the location of the park since the last post. With the layout of the town IRL, it makes more sense to have the park over on the right. That being said I have put down some base layer for a logging yard in the left corner. Work on that has been good. All I need to do really is wait for the base to dry. Then I can put in the park and put in the logging yard details. The layout as a whole is starting to look pretty finished! I am happy with the work that I have done on this. I do have little details here and there to flush out so that will be the big thing after the base dries. Let me know what you guys think!
You've done a remarkable job on this first layout, looks really good, congratulations, have you thought about your next (larger) one yet. ;)

You've done a remarkable job on this first layout, looks really good, congratulations, have you thought about your next (larger) one yet. ;)
Like a true model railroader, I am always thinking about the next big thing. I would love to expand, but I am going to have to wait until I am more settled in. This is the college kid layout build after all and I have a bit more schooling to do. This layout will do for now. For now, I will have to settle for making content and running trains on the layout! Later on, though I will start drafting plans for a fun layout in a standard second bedroom.

Like a true model railroader, I am always thinking about the next big thing. I would love to expand, but I am going to have to wait until I am more settled in. This is the college kid layout build after all and I have a bit more schooling to do. This layout will do for now. For now, I will have to settle for making content and running trains on the layout! Later on, though I will start drafting plans for a fun layout in a standard second bedroom.
Ok, I get that, school has to be a priority, but it doesn't mean you can't have fun with what you have.

This looks like a lot of fun! Great job!

Update:

20240306_163634.jpg
20240306_163641.jpg

20240306_163704.jpg
20240306_163659.jpg

The layout is in a very done state at the moment. I finally put the layout on a table and a lot of the details are finished up. I have some things to do still but I think being 95% can be considered pretty done. Here I show off the park scene and the log yard scene. Not much to report beyond that! I'll share a video highlighting the layout and another project I have been working on. Let me know what you guys think!

Back