Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was going to be my follow-up question!😠
I'm currently at the point of deciding if the dog will be better off in her previous situation, or trying to work with her so she has a peaceful quiet home. I know what was going on before, though maybe this behavior was attributed to stress in the home, rather than a deeper problem with the pooch.
I'll be giving them a call when I get home, and see if what I'm seeing now is what was going on there. If so, it may be something I won't be successful addressing.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 67.
The power returned at 11:00. I hope the dog can recover from the trauma of yesterday. I hope my hands recover from her biting me... We're not off to a good start. She barked all night, which isn't unheard of, but she won't let me get within a few feet of her, and she is very skittish.
She is scared
little dogs struggle when people appear to tall for them
did she bite you when you bent down to her?
try sitting on the floor have her food bowl ready and push towards her
and a couple of little treats, do not hold pinched between finger and thumb if she is nervous and snatches you will likely get bit again
pop the item on the palm of your hand keep thumb and fingers shut and offer a flat hand , much easier
IF you can stomach sitting on the floor to say watch tv and lean against something for support and pull what will be her bed near you with a treat
try kissing noises and soft calling sounds
if you get her to come to you for food your winnining
if you get her to lie down near you that is a sign she is rekaxing
if you get her to lie on your legs you have practically won her over,
consider wearing jeans and a thick top for protection
little dogs are notorious for being scared, coming down to her level, and later encouraging her up to yours
if stroking offer a schlock under the jaw, do not try to Pat her in a downward definitly not fast movement as she may see this as aggression
she looks a doll and hopefully she will trust you soon, a little companion
do not attempt to kiss her until she shows some trust signs!
good luck

Last edited:
Morning folks

The day is off to a poor start with my wife on the floor again. She lost some skin on her left arm but apparently little other damage.
I know this sounds dumb but what are the bottoms of her shoes like, sounds she needs better gripping so she get a bit of help as she struggles with her balance, flat shoes can be slippery, rubber ones especially with grooves on normally are better.
she can try an exercise to help her balance
one stand near a strong piece of furniture so hands can help balamce
then see if she can stand on just one leg, and / or the other
if she can she should carefully progress to seeing if she can stand one hand one leg for a number of seconds, if she notices one leg is better than the other,
that could be the problem
she can try this each day for a few minutes, strengthening the legs

fyi after I broke my ankle and dislocated my knee I had this exact issues
, two months off my feet, and these exercises helped me get my balance back, I can know freestanding to put my trousers on without fear of fallinf]g flat on my face.

if she can see a physio, without laying through the nose, they might be able to see and find why her balance is. so poor, best of luck.

fyi walking around in socks is not good, but the more expensive slipper socks with grips are much safer.

Oh I forgot important one!
If you see the edge of the white of the eye showing, pull back that is a definite sign of just about to bite, it is a very scared response in dogs, almost a,ways followed by a bite.

my last two sisters, often butter would not melt, but act threatening to their mum, and oh are you in deep do doo
UK no dock allowed and no clipped ears, and in my opinion a female dobermann one of the most loyal dog you can own

Attachments

• DSC03748.jpeg
    DSC03748.jpeg
    739.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2009 1120 kara and herja sleeping.jpeg
    2009 1120 kara and herja sleeping.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 13
@bnsf971 Terry, could these threads be AI generated? DCC help with O gauge trains?

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 66F. My first stop today was the dentist since I was getting more pain after the last procedure. The dentist recommended some things but other than swelling/irritation nothing was wrong. I'll be so glad when my mouth quits hurting. After lunch son and I went to the local junkyard to look for a hubcap for MOH's car. No joy but I did get another 1.5 miles walking. Nothing done in train room today.

Hughie- Nice layout scene. The backdrop has real potential.

Terry- She's a cutie. Sometimes it just takes time and patience. She may also be missing her "pack".

Bill- Nice photo.

Troy- That paint job looks great for Europe. Are you going to paint any for "the sandbox"?

Guy- Nice job on the doors and windows.

Willie- Interesting photos. To my eye the bold red end looks a bit over the top, but you probably feel different.

Jaz- Beautiful dogs.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Oh I forgot important one!
If you see the edge of the white of the eye showing, pull back that is a definite sign of just about to bite, it is a very scared response in dogs, almost a,ways followed by a bite.

my last two sisters, often butter would not melt, but act threatening to their mum, and oh are you in deep do doo
UK no dock allowed and no clipped ears, and in my opinion a female dobermann one of the most loyal dog you can own
We did own a corgi, he would bite someone as soon as look at them, the neighbourhood were scared of him, my dad and I walked him o n 2 jeans to stop him biting our feet,
he bit me when I tried to stop him biting a big dog
he bit me when I rolled off the couch too close to him, he got my eyebrow, luckily I wore glasses\looking back my parents should have had him put down
a vet eventuslly said it was his neck chain that caused the issue, but that the animal was now programmed and de programming was not likely as by then he was 8 and had certain habits
lifting him into a car was a hair rising issue he would get the first half up, you lifted the back which he wanted to get in but every time would then try to nip you
i got bitten at least twice more stopping him attacking someone else
i knew as from being a child and had no idea hoe stupid we were to put up with it
as an adult ALl my dads new better to bite,
one rescue growled when fed, a big boy Doberman, my husband taught him better with a punch to the nose, then a second, at which point he could touch his food and when he growled at me my husband punched him again and from then on he was like, fine whatever SHE can touch my food bowl too.
I have never ever seen my husband hit a dog otherwise.
When we moved here we could let him out he knew quickly what was our land and where he was allowed BUT he did not like other dogs, and had to usually be kept in the house or in a big caged kennel. my husband howled when he died.
He was much loved BUT you had to filter his engagement with people or animals, and most certainly cats!

ok I am proble dog stories out, your safe…..for now :p

Attachments

• dogtrampus2002.jpeg
    dogtrampus2002.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 18
Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 66F. My first stop today was the dentist since I was getting more pain after the last procedure. The dentist recommended some things but other than swelling/irritation nothing was wrong. I'll be so glad when my mouth quits hurting. After lunch son and I went to the local junkyard to look for a hubcap for MOH's car. No joy but I did get another 1.5 miles walking. Nothing done in train room today.

Hughie- Nice layout scene. The backdrop has real potential.

Terry- She's a cutie. Sometimes it just takes time and patience. She may also be missing her "pack".

Bill- Nice photo.

Troy- That paint job looks great for Europe. Are you going to paint any for "the sandbox"?

Guy- Nice job on the doors and windows.

Willie- Interesting photos. To my eye the bold red end looks a bit over the top, but you probably feel different.

Jaz- Beautiful dogs.

I hope everyone has a good day.
I'm collecting armies for North Africa. It's my favorite theatre of the war.

that sounds weird, to have a favorite war theatre...

Before the new game came out, the 28mm game I play (Bolt Action by Warlord Games) is an infantry game, so one tank and one armored car is about all that will fit into a "side". Yes, I have some of those painted up.

I previously played a 15mm scale scale called Flames of War. In 3rd Edition, I loved it. But, they drastically shifted the rules and gameplay. I sold off all of my 15mm tanks.

With all of the painting tutorial videos I'm watching, I'm getting the urge to print some of these up at 1:35 scale, and try my hand at making a diorama. Just what I need, another bleeeeeepin hobby.

Troy has another hobby. 😅

Join the clan.

Cruise Ships - I go on them and photograph them and support the restoration of a Paddle Steamer. Railways - I help in fundraising a Heritage Railway, Road Haulage -- I grew up around them. Trams - I did help to restore them and had one. Writing - Written a number of short stories. Painting Landscapes - Sold a number of them.

North Africa in WW2. My father was there; 9th Queen's Royal Lancers - in tanks. From El Alamein to Tripoli, before going to Italy.

Last edited:
Good morning. It's cloudy and 67.
The power returned at 11:00. I hope the dog can recover from the trauma of yesterday. I hope my hands recover from her biting me... We're not off to a good start. She barked all night, which isn't unheard of, but she won't let me get within a few feet of her, and she is very skittish.
It's going to take time. She must learn to trust you.

My old Beagle Tucker came from a home where the husband was mean to him, and the wife tolerated him.

Tucker loved my wife from the first minute. He jumped into the car and sat on her lap in the front passenger seat on the ride home. All the while he kept a wary eye on me. He kept his distance from me for a few weeks. He would snap at me, and he bit me a few times when I put his harness on or tried to move him. He was great with the kids and everyone else, but he was frightened of me. I believe the biting was out of fear.

I did not use any harsh discipline with him. I felt it would have been counterproductive. Finally, every time he snapped at me; I kissed him on the nose. He gave me a fat lip a few times, but the kisses eventually worked. He has been my shadow for the last ten years. He still loves my wife, but he follows my every move and is always within an arm's reach of me. Kisses may not have been the smartest move. Suffering should have been my middle name.

You will find a way to gain her trust.

I hope everything works out.

I’m more of a dog person erson, but had a cat in my single days. They were so much easier than dogs. When I left for a few days, I put an extra litter box out and made sure the food hopper was full. I had a leaky faucet so she knew where fresh water always was.

I think she preferred to be alone anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back