A beginner's layout

Finished painting the stub ended yard tracks. No idea what I'm doing but I don't think it's too bad. In these photos I started from the track on the left and got a better hang of it as I moved to the right, I think 🤔. Gotta get to the train store for a few different colors of ballast and see what happens!

Screenshot (302).pngScreenshot (303).png

Thanks. I was surprised by how it came out so I just kept going 😂

Just inexpensive Apple Barrel acrylics. A good coverage of Brown Oxide Matte on the rails and much lighter on the ties with Territorial Beige Matte. For the ties I found the brush I used made a big difference also.
Thanks for the color names.

I have to start thinking about this process soon. I will have to brush mine too. I'm in an unventilated basement that I cant spray bomb it unfortunately.

I may copy this! :D

Thanks for the color names.

I have to start thinking about this process soon. I will have to brush mine too. I'm in an unventilated basement that I cant spray bomb it unfortunately.

I may copy this! :D
Number one: As I was doing it I thought, most people would use an air brush for this I think....it took several hours (though I got quicker as I got the hang of it). I once bought the WS Weathered wood paint marker and thought the difference it made was almost unobservable. I ended up using it to paint some rails elsewhere on the layout. I spent ten bucks on it so....

Number two: I've marked this day on my calendar 😂. This is the first time a modeler of your experience and skill has even considered doing anything the way that I have 😀. Maybe I should change the name of this thread from "A beginner's layout" to "I'm the best. Everyone else can suck it!". Obviously I'm joking 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Number one: As I was doing it I thought, most people would use an air brush for this I think....it took several hours (though I got quicker as I got the hang of it). I once bought the WS Weathered wood paint marker and thought the difference it made was almost unobservable. I ended up using it to paint some rails elsewhere on the layout. I spent ten bucks on it so....

Number two: I've marked this day on my calendar 😂. This is the first time a modeler of your experience and skill has even considered doing anything the way that I have 😀. Maybe I should change the name of this thread from "A beginner's layout" to "I'm the best. Everyone else can suck it!". Obviously I'm joking 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I will be honest- I have never made it to the rail painting stage. I have never attempted to ballasted track either. I always tear them down and start over. I am in uncharted waters, but have never been happy with a layout till now. This one checks (or will hopefully) most of the boxes of what I wanted to have.

So you sir: are the pioneer! :D

I will be honest- I have never made it to the rail painting stage. I have never attempted to ballasted track either. I always tear them down and start over. I am in uncharted waters, but have never been happy with a layout till now. This one checks (or will hopefully) most of the boxes of what I wanted to have.

So you sir: are the pioneer! :D
I see. So we're both new to some of this :).

Another big update (I wish). Added a small building to one of the sections which will eventually be above the track.

Screenshot (309).png

I got it because it's small enough for the space but I'm now wishing it were taller....anyone know of something with a small footprint a little taller? This one is 3"x 4" but I can fit 3" by about anything (3" is the front)

Not so much an update as a "downdate". I'm going backwards right now :( As I haven't done this before I shouldn't be surprised that some of my "great" ideas caused some headaches.

The first picture shows a couple of tracks ripped up which were meant to serve the Walthers Medusa Cement Kit... too many derailments! I now plan to change it to use the Walthers Plastic Pellet Transfer kit along with another kit to imply a plant which receives plastic pellet and makes molded plastic items.

The second picture shows one leg of my wye ripped up. The track work was alright but the roadbed didn't match the track geometry :rolleyes:... I'll get it right one of these days 😂

Screenshot (311).pngScreenshot (312).png

Not so much an update as a "downdate". I'm going backwards right now :( As I haven't done this before I shouldn't be surprised that some of my "great" ideas caused some headaches.

The first picture shows a couple of tracks ripped up which were meant to serve the Walthers Medusa Cement Kit... too many derailments! I now plan to change it to use the Walthers Plastic Pellet Transfer kit along with another kit to imply a plant which receives plastic pellet and makes molded plastic items.

The second picture shows one leg of my wye ripped up. The track work was alright but the roadbed didn't match the track geometry :rolleyes:... I'll get it right one of these days 😂

View attachment 183168View attachment 183170
Trial and error is a great teacher:)

Finished getting rid of all the sheet cork which I wasn't happy with and started putting the yard back together. There was quite a bit more than the picture shows because I have two long arrival/departure tracks that were also on sheet cork but it went faster and easier than I thought. I have to repair the foam before continuing.

I don't like going backwards but I'm happier already so it's worth it.

Screenshot (320).png

You can decorator foam blocks covered in sandpaper, tedious but you will get a lot of control
before you go too far would you like to see sone effects that are possible with the foam platform sides, cobbles, kerbs etc? Either here or I can throw them up elsewhere rather than litter your thread.

You can decorator foam blocks covered in sandpaper, tedious but you will get a lot of control
before you go too far would you like to see sone effects that are possible with the foam platform sides, cobbles, kerbs etc? Either here or I can throw them up elsewhere rather than litter your thread.
Sounds great! You can post here or elsewhere, whichever you prefer. As for tedious....I'm getting awfully used to that :)

Ok i’ ll add them small, most are self explanatory
1,2, first a tunnel the low cuts were for alignment and avoid miss measuring, my curves are off but people rarely realise

3 just run a sanding block backwards and forwards, Measure the width msrk with pencil (hoover the dust!)

4,5,6,7 measure the thickness of the platform overhand then sand off, a knife a screwdriver a mini saw all useful for scoring the bricks,stone cement blocks, your choice

8,9, a wall and if your careful it can take curves

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpeg
    IMG_0442.jpeg
    614.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0441.jpeg
    IMG_0441.jpeg
    653.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0724.jpeg
    IMG_0724.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4273.jpeg
    IMG_4273.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8443.jpeg
    IMG_8443.jpeg
    549.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5551.jpeg
    IMG_5551.jpeg
    476.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7142.jpeg
    IMG_7142.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 12
1,2,3,4, Tunnels, the thin stuff can be more Easily modelled then fixed onto larger areas

5,6,7, terraforming adding pieces for levels

8,9, some features are expensive these stairs were a fix saving me a set originally sold for 7£ but reselling on eBay for £26!

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpeg
    IMG_1794.jpeg
    460.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1939.jpeg
    IMG_1939.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2021.jpeg
    IMG_2021.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2120.jpeg
    IMG_2120.jpeg