Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

34° and clear this morning, high later of 66°. Made it to 67° instead of the 63° forecast, No Complaints. Looking for mid to upper 70's later next week, before winter comes back on Thursday. That would be March coming in like a lion...

"I am a man, i can change...if i have to...i guess"😁

Quando omni flunkus moritati-"When all else fails, play dead".

The Red Green show is one of my favorites...."If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Good morning everyone!

Happy Friday. Looks to be another decent Northern Illinois day. Not quite as warm as the last couple of days but still remaining in the 50s. That is going to change tonight with some rain mixed with snow and a 30 degree temperature drop.

Have to take the car in for an oil change this morning. We shall see if the walk out with a list of stuff that needs to be done. Seems they always want to replace something.

Have a great day all!

Morning all,

34° and clear this morning, high later of 66°. Made it to 67° instead of the 63° forecast, No Complaints. Looking for mid to upper 70's later next week, before winter comes back on Thursday. That would be March coming in like a lion...

The Red Green show is one of my favorites...."If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Duck Tape is one of his sponsors, I think. :)

Good afternoon all. A cheese toastie and a pot of tea please, Flo.

Tanks
As a lad I often read about how powerful 'Tiger' tanks were. 'Panthers' were hardly mentioned. Such was the information given.

When I lived in Leeds the Royal Ordnance Factory, Barnbow was 'up the road' so to speak. Churchill's, Chieftain's, then Challenger tanks were produced there.

As my layout is based around the area I have a few tanks on low loaders. I have pictures 'somewhere'. Must find them, or take more pictures.
Even though the calibre of the Panther's gun was 7.5cm compared to the Tiger's dreaded 8.8 Flak shell, there are a number of reasons the Tiger is more popular:

1. The Tiger was in the war earlier, and developed a reputation. "Tiger Fear" was a real syndrome amongst allied tankers.

And the PZ IV Aus H onward had a similar silhouette to the Tiger 1. There were a LOT of "Tiger Kills" called in by Allied Tank Commanders that were really PZ IVs. The Tiger reputation was one that everyone on the allies side wanted a piece of a Tiger Kill.

2. The Panther was created for the Eastern front. T-34s were kicking butt over there. The Aus D variant hit production before the eventual popular choice of the Aus A. But the D was a rush job and kept breaking down at their first real battle in Kursk.

The Panther had most of it's armour up front, with weaker sides/rear/top than the Tiger.

3. The shells fired were about the same size (length), but the Panther's gun was better on penetration. Sill the 8.8 gun was good at making tanks go boom. The Panther's gun made tanks go boom slightly easier. But we're not talking about a real game changer.

4. The Panther was more nimble than the Tiger. Higher speed even though it had the same engine as the Tiger 1. But it could really take a hit on it's front armour. the sides, not so much.

Good Morning All! 33 here in the frozen tundra, with snow returning this afternoon, however briefly. The weather guesser says we'll get into the sixties next week so the roller coaster weather continues. On a personal front, I met with my medical team. Looks like another surgery to clean things up. It's been caught early, is small, and hasn't spread, that's the good news. It's in a spot that's tough to get to. My surgeon calls it "Tiger Country". He does lots of these though, so I'm not worried. Last time around was lots more involved. No date yet, but soon. I may go quiet for a while, as there are things to do as I get ready.

Are you sure you want to move for that reason? It's a lot of work. Don't know the amount of stuff you have but tearing down a model lay out would be 1 reason to not move an inch, apart from renting a mover and put all you memories in boxes!! Don't ask how I know.
Mara, thanks but moving households for us is not that big a deal. We build to live in for a while to sell it. its part of our fun

Good Morning All! 33 here in the frozen tundra, with snow returning this afternoon, however briefly. The weather guesser says we'll get into the sixties next week so the roller coaster weather continues. On a personal front, I met with my medical team. Looks like another surgery to clean things up. It's been caught early, is small, and hasn't spread, that's the good news. It's in a spot that's tough to get to. My surgeon calls it "Tiger Country". He does lots of these though, so I'm not worried. Last time around was lots more involved. No date yet, but soon. I may go quiet for a while, as there are things to do as I get ready.
Best to you

Panther My favorite tank of WW2 hands down. I have two unbuilt Panther models somewhere around here.
Have to agree there. Lighter, more agile, better sloping armor, but still packing an 75. Unfortunately still, like all other German tanks, totally vulnerable to a rear shot. I had two HO models wonderfully done, one with forest camouflage the other with winter. Through the years their "rubber" tracks rotted and fell off, then years later they just disappeared.

Last edited:
Good Morning!
I knew it! The warm weather was just a ruse to lure us out of our caves. I'm hearing a low of -24c come Monday with shovelling. Winters not over yet!

Kriegslok - I'm no railroading expert, but I'm comparing a BM hopper I have to the photos of the very nice B&0 hopper you got a great deal on. The undersides of mine looks a-bit different, without opening doors and the odd physical difference. Other than that, they look exactly the same mould.
I believe mine is from a Bachmann, Model Power, Tyco type of set; but, I bought the car at a 2nd hand store.
Sometimes I wonder if manufacturers use the same Chinese factory to manufacture these cars, and with slight differences, are able to slap on premium prices.
I guess what I'm trying to understand, is why top-line manufacturers are charging so much for rolling stock; asking $120.00+cdn for a caboose.

By the way, my wife once worked in a Chinese factory. I know that one day they are making toasters, and the next day they are making Microwaves.

Yesterday, I was not able to get very advanced on the depot construction. I did get the bay window framed in, though:
3rdClass_02-22-2024.JPG

Plus, I managed to get the interior painted white, after that photo was taken. This building will not be lighted, but, I believe light colours are better than blacking the interior out.

Here's a photo of the exact prototype structure I'm building:
3rdClass_1964 (1).jpg

These depots were common along CN tracks out west. Many examples survive today, but, not the one in my town. It was torn down in favour of an ugly mobile-home type structure, and then replaced by a modern metal-clad bunkhouse.

Sherrel - I'm hoping the good news far out-runs the bad news you mentioned. I'm certainly sending you best wishes and prayers.
Mara - I'm Canadian born, but my parents were Dutch, from Rotterdam. Both were resistance fighters during the war, when they met and married. They emigrated to Canada right after the war.

Well, I gotta go. The dog knows that it's food and walk time. Into the forest we go!
Have a wonderful day!

Good Morning!
I knew it! The warm weather was just a ruse to lure us out of our caves. I'm hearing a low of -24c come Monday with shovelling. Winters not over yet!

Kriegslok - I'm no railroading expert, but I'm comparing a BM hopper I have to the photos of the very nice B&0 hopper you got a great deal on. The undersides of mine looks a-bit different, without opening doors and the odd physical difference. Other than that, they look exactly the same mould.
I believe mine is from a Bachmann, Model Power, Tyco type of set; but, I bought the car at a 2nd hand store.
Sometimes I wonder if manufacturers use the same Chinese factory to manufacture these cars, and with slight differences, are able to slap on premium prices.
I guess what I'm trying to understand, is why top-line manufacturers are charging so much for rolling stock; asking $120.00+cdn for a caboose.

By the way, my wife once worked in a Chinese factory. I know that one day they are making toasters, and the next day they are making Microwaves.

Yesterday, I was not able to get very advanced on the depot construction. I did get the bay window framed in, though:
View attachment 182081
Plus, I managed to get the interior painted white, after that photo was taken. This building will not be lighted, but, I believe light colours are better than blacking the interior out.

Here's a photo of the exact prototype structure I'm building:
View attachment 182082
These depots were common along CN tracks out west. Many examples survive today, but, not the one in my town. It was torn down in favour of an ugly mobile-home type structure, and then replaced by a modern metal-clad bunkhouse.

Sherrel - I'm hoping the good news far out-runs the bad news you mentioned. I'm certainly sending you best wishes and prayers.
Mara - I'm Canadian born, but my parents were Dutch, from Rotterdam. Both were resistance fighters during the war, when they met and married. They emigrated to Canada right after the war.

Well, I gotta go. The dog knows that it's food and walk time. Into the forest we go!
Have a wonderful day!
My hopper might be an old production Athearn. Someone was trying to make the hatches to open, one pair opens. Judging by the steel balast underneath it is most likely an Athearn. The prices are what drove me away from recent stuff. And at the antique shops and train shows i can find very nice and rare types of cars which are not in current production. A little TLC and some lube and they generally work just fine, plus i have a little bit of history rolling behind my locomotives.

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 48° out there at 0600. High today is expected to be in the low 70's, and then our roller coaster February weather revs up. Mid-70's tomorrow, into the 80's Sunday with possibly 90° on Monday, Wednesday a cold front and only in the upper 50's; followed by a gradual return to the 70's. No snow in our forecast!

Yesterday's grocery trek was uneventful, prices are still inching up. It's most noticeable in fresh produce, soft drinks and condiments. Sugar-Free A&W Root Beer has gone from $3/12 pack up to $5/12 pack in just 2 years. And that's the sale price! Gasoline has stabilized here at just a few pennies below $3/gal. It seems that no station wants to be first to break that barrier right now.

About the only gardening that I did yesterday, was to plant a few Squash seeds, both Yellow and Zucchini in some pots for indoor starting. They, like the Tomatoes, should be ready for transplanting about two weeks after the last average frost for this area.

It was a "train running" day yesterday out in the train shed. I spent almost two hours just running them back and forth between the staging yards, stopping on passing sidings while I ran another around, and switching cars around in those staging yards. All the while, I let a container train run the continuous loop on the upper level. I know that many like to do that, but I am just not fascinated with doing it. Maybe it's just because I can only concentrate on one train at a time.
Here are a few random pictures of trains running through the layout. Apologies if I have posted any of these before.
IMG_3379.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

03-27-19 010.JPG

12-14-18 002.JPG

Troy - That's tough about the printer, but it's not the only thing sold now that one cannot self-repair! Remember that I had to purchase a new printer recently as well. Not only does the ink cost more than the old Epson, but it is more complex to operate; meaning more things that I can screw up.
Tom O - Update on AT&T potential issue. It turns out that we weren't affected at home since our phones piggybacked on our wifi network and not directly with their system that went down. In an emergency, I still have a landline!
Damn! I wish that I had a readily available friend who could solder for me. Despite 40 years in the hobby, that is still my weakest area.
I noticed that 3 of the 4 states that you're potentially considering moving to, have no state income tax, therefore no state tax on SS. However the feds might still get you. In Texas, property taxes can be higher than other states, but are mostly frozen at age 65, an advantage more so if one owned the property prior to reaching that age.
Possum - Loose wheelsets in trucks do not always require new trucks. Measure the loose axle lengths and see what they are, and maybe get some longer ones. I don't have my chart handy right now, but standard axle lengths range from 1.000" to 1.015", depending on who manufactures them. I do remember that Intermountain is 1.000" and Kadee is 1.010". Jaybee makes a wide variety of widths.
In my opinion, I am not too sure that snugness really matters that much. If you think about it, only a very small portion of the axle actually makes contact with the sideframe. What's more important to me is to make sure that you use a truck tuner to ream out any flash that might exist in the sideframes.
Patrick - The Medicare premiums are only mandatory if you sign up for it. But it is a better bet than no insurance at all, or paying full premiums to an insurance company. We use Medicare and have a supplemental plan with Blue Cross; not an advantage plan which in our case was too restrictive. My total cost for using both is not too much more than my share of the company insurance that I had for years. I also have no copay now. An example is that my wife had total knee replacement in both knees at $0 cost to us. However I do have a separate prescription service that I use that used to be covered by my company provided insurance. We determined that Medicare Part "D" for drugs was not for us.
Curt - Yes I am replicating the neighbor's Longhorns, except his (and all others), tend to lay on the ground (chewing their cud) much more than they graze. I got them from MiniPrints and Bernard doesn't offer them on the ground.

Gotta go now. At 0830, it's now 57° and gardening time, maybe just looking at stuff.
Everybody have a wonderful day and a fantastic weekend.

Morning folks -- 47 degrees going to 75 with mostly sunny.
Going to the APPLE Store and see if I can get in and see what they can tell me.
I feel pretty good this morning - we will see how the day progresses.

ALAN - thinking of you with a prayer. Don't need anyone else in this leaky boat with me. -- fukin cancer!

My hopper might be an old production Athearn. Someone was trying to make the hatches to open, one pair opens. Judging by the steel balast underneath it is most likely an Athearn. The prices are what drove me away from recent stuff. And at the antique shops and train shows i can find very nice and rare types of cars which are not in current production. A little TLC and some lube and they generally work just fine, plus i have a little bit of history rolling behind my locomotives.
I don't think Athearn ever changed very much on the blue box stuff maybe the trucks anyway all four of mine open the kind of snap open or closed

Attachments

• IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    503.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    500 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back