Dave's Layout v. 4.0

This is where the semaphore ended up at the Wyoming MN depot:

Wyoming semaphore.jpg

Thanks for looking! Dave LASM

I have not been happy with these roads, decided to use some hydrocal in the tire ruts. I did 2 thin applications and will be adding a little more, I think in a couple spots.

I spread a thin coat down and eyedropper some tan colored wash to make it adhere. Also, presenting my new truck, like a couple of the others except a stake bed, and has some bigger tires.

IMG_4495.JPG

Some of the rocks in the roadway were a little large. I think the hydrocal gives a finer appearance than the sifted sand

IMG_4496.JPG

Model kits by Scale Structures Ltd.

Some other stray white dots need to be addressed as well. It is always something!

Thanks for looking

Dave LASM

I have been working on this little Jib Crane kit for the past couple weeks, as usual glueing a few things at a time and trying to figure how it goes together, just about ready to put it on the layout: (it is a Scale Structures Limited model.)

IMG_4498.JPG

The instructions called for notching the beams, the wood is very tight grained so this was harder than it looks

IMG_4500.JPG

I made each half piece by piece, used Gorilla glue for all joins, I reinforced a couple places with JB weld epoxy.

IMG_4506.JPG

The kit came with a block swivel for the base and top, so it can be repositioned

IMG_4510.JPG

Not sure about painting the castings, may keep them natural casting. Here, I have run the cables through the pullys

IMG_4511.JPG

I did not get everything hooked up right, this came only with the schematic shown in the background. Now that it is done, I get how it should have gone together. I doubt anyone will notice once this is on the layout.

It will go by the Stone cutting sawmill building, just about to get it positioned...

Thanks for looking! Dave LASM

I completed all the work around the Sandstone quarry (for now) with the addition of the Jib crane and guy wires and completed the derricks,

IMG_4517.JPG

(above) getting the cables run, these supports need to stand up on their own. The Jib is off to the right, getting positioned

IMG_4526.JPG

Everything in place above, all cables run

IMG_4529.JPG

closeup of the jib crane. I decided to leave the castings natural.

Track painting and backdrop work next, I think

Thanks for looking, Dave LASM

I have been working on painting my track, this is all flex track and if you tried, painting it before laying it may result in having to do a repaint because of how everything shifts.

Anyway, some of you maybe noticed that some of my track is painted and some not, Thats because some of the layout is made of completed modules which were finished prior to layout construction.

I bought the Woodland Scenics Rusty Rail painter, which I have used many of. I think they work fine.

Here is a before and after:

easy to pick out the areas unpainted

Track before weathering.JPG

track after rusty rail.jpg

In this case, I did both sides of the rails because they are visible as well:

inside loop by sawmill.jpg

Just behind the sawmill builings, I am working on a backdrop idea (work in progress:

backdrop progress.JPG

Will try to make this believable. We'll see. This is a rough first draft. Want to make it look like stumps with trees in the distance.

THANKS for looking

Dave LASM

Hello, just stopping in to say nice work. These kits really get the details right. I enjoyed seeing the fine level of detail on the tracks as well.

My b.i.l. who lives next door, just purchased Atlas code 100 track and some cars to start into this wonderful hobby. I am looking forward to getting back in as well.

Thanks,
Joe

I bought the Woodland Scenics Rusty Rail painter, which I have used many of. I think they work fine.

Here is a before and after:

easy to pick out the areas unpainted

View attachment 181220

It's funny... I was actually just scrolling through and looking at pictures when I saw this and said, "Wow, that's a pretty obvious difference in the track..." Then I read the post. 🤣 🤣 :)

Back