The Teardown and Rebuilt of the Whistle Stop RR AND the Train Room its in

Round Two: Fight!
52805476364_d3bf2b1641_z.jpg

Dry wall and baseboards ready to go up.

I'm starting a little backwards as I am putting the baseboards up first. Due to the possibility of water intrusion (despite out best efforts - which have been appearing to be successful) I want any future repairs that may be needed to be as easy as possible. This way I can just pull up the lower parts of the joists and baseboards if needed and replace them leaving the rest of the wall intact.

Hard to see in the photo, but I cut a grove in the top of the boards that the drywall will sit into. Easy to see in the photos is that I painted them before installation (all sides).
52821319839_35c463c3c1_z.jpg

And the first wall panel going up:
52821137131_e487c6117d_z.jpg

It's a small start, but it's a start. :)

Looks like your moving along at a nice pace.

Like the way you mounted the baseboard first. This way you know for sure your nails hit studs. Every drywall project I've done., I've not planned and marked the studs very well so some of my baseboards were a guess to secure.

Oh I'm looking forward to following this build! Having had old layouts with many numerous issues as yours did, it really is cathartic ripping it all out and starting a new! Looks like a huge project, but with enough ambition and planning, it'll all come together!

Been a couple weeks since my last update - been dealing with a family health emergency. :( But I have finally managed to get the last few sheet rock panels up:
52853430233_02f02fd01c_z.jpg

Now the mudding begins... 😩

And the award for sketchiest wiring goes to...
52852401917_e829c134a2_z.jpg

The really scary part is that this is an improvement over how it was. o_O

By the way, please don't how that photo to my insurance company... 😬

Sorry for the lack of updates. The project has taken a bit of a hold. I just lost my father to a brief, but vicious battle with Pancreatic Cancer. 😢 He will really, really be missed.

Not that I'm trying to turn this into any kind of memorial thread, but in case you were wondering what kind of guy my Dad was, he was featured on our local news program's Super Seniors segment just last fall: https://www.wcax.com/2022/11/10/super-senior-doug-martin/

--------------------

On a Layout Construction note: I have managed to get some new LED lights that won't give electricians heart attacks by their mere sight:
52892133909_bdb83f8201_z.jpg

(That's one light on in a bundle of 6)

And their installation has begun:
52853430233_02f02fd01c_z.jpg

They can be daisy-chained together up to eight units. Far less fire prone than what I had before.

Hello all. I am not gone, Since Dad's passing other things have taken a bit of a priority. Not a whole lot of work has gone on downstairs, but I did manage to squeeze in a little electrical work. Lighting improvements continue:
Untitled by Robert Martin, on Flickr

And I got my doorway finally framed up nicely:

Still lots of sanding and mudding to do, then paint, then I start on modules. Might be a while, but I'm still at it.

Hello all. I am not gone, Since Dad's passing other things have taken a bit of a priority. Not a whole lot of work has gone on downstairs, but I did manage to squeeze in a little electrical work. Lighting improvements continue:

And I got my doorway finally framed up nicely:

Still lots of sanding and mudding to do, then paint, then I start on modules. Might be a while, but I'm still at it.
Robert, I'm so sorry for your loss.

The basement is looking good. Progress is always good. Wish I had that kind of space to build a layout. Can't wait to see end result!

Well, it's taken me the better part of a year, but my new wall is finally done. Granted, it's been one hell of a year (and not in the good way).
53463533123_bf3b9aabbb_z.jpg

From all the mudding, sanding and painting, my hands feel as dry as the Sahara. :)
A little bit more lighting work to do, then the rest of the layout can come down (on the side not pictured) in prep for module building. It's taken a bit to get back in the mood for this AND find the time. Mom has moved in with us, so that has been a little time consuming as well. My hobbies are my escape, though, so I'm happy to be back at it.

Well, it's taken me the better part of a year, but my new wall is finally done. Granted, it's been one hell of a year (and not in the good way).
53463533123_bf3b9aabbb_z.jpg

From all the mudding, sanding and painting, my hands feel as dry as the Sahara. :)
A little bit more lighting work to do, then the rest of the layout can come down (on the side not pictured) in prep for module building. It's taken a bit to get back in the mood for this AND find the time. Mom has moved in with us, so that has been a little time consuming as well. My hobbies are my escape, though, so I'm happy to be back at it.
Bottom line: it looks great!

Life always gets in the way; the only question is how much. When it happens circumstance dictates what we can and can't do. It sounds like you made the best of it, well done!

I'm glad to see you came through and it is good to have you back!

No pictures today, but the last of the sketchy neon lighting has been pulled down and daisy-chained LED tubes have been put back up in their place. To accomplish this task I pulled down the light blocking valances I had installed to "shape" the light over the layout. Now I have 8 uninhibited T8 sized LED bulbs illuminating the room. For any further work down there, I will either need to re-install the valances or wear sun glasses.
:cool:🤣🤣

You can kind of see in the picture that my pool table became a work bench/holding facility. Need to do a little bit of clean up before I move on. Temps in the single digits this weekend. Looks like a good time to work indoors.

Okay, I lied, here are some pics.
Started the day with this:
53476846460_a429948477_z.jpg

My plan is to keep as much of the roundhouse and turn around as I can, so I cut that out and have sent it aside.
53476433271_a62b89aba3_z.jpg

Also going to try and reuse this bridge.
53476433196_5705dd9653_z.jpg

And I did get some help:

But, when the day was done, my wall looked like this:
53476433246_54f68d6994_z.jpg

It's amazing how many different construction techniques I have used on this layout.

Back