Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting right now on parts.

But these are golf club components, and not MRR parts. I hope I will soon see three separate wood shafts (not just three wood shafts--these three are all driver shafts, so I will tip trim them as needed) pretty soon at my back door. Original retail (plus tax) ~$500 each. I snagged all three for just bit under $100 apiece. Kuro Kage X-stiff 60 TiNi full length Limited Edition, all three.

Think of them as Scale Trains "Extra Special" <insert your favorite unit here> locomotives, and you will get the idea. They are rare, highly thought of, and are spectacular from even the first swing of the club.

I have been struggling right around a hundred since I took up the game again, although I feel I could go out on any given morning and shoot 75. I'm serious. I know how to manage a round, and I know how to score...but I can't anymore. Or not yet (once again).

I used to play to a low 3 handicap. FAST tempo up and back and long off the tee, although I also sprayed my drives even with a one-iron. Average to slightly sub-average irons, a pretty poor shortgame, excellent putter (I was told so more than once, and by people who knew the game for years). The difference between my low three (3.1) and the legitimate one (1.0) which would qualify you even enter qualifying for the US Open was an ocean wide gulf* I eventually realized I could never cross.

[* as in Pacific Ocean (not just the Atlantic Ocean)]

Then, and about thirty years back now, I knew that if I played much more basketball I was going to suffer an injury which might prevent me from playing golf. And I was really growing more and more in love with golf. So I quit playing basketball...and then wrecked my left shoulder on a driving range mat one day. I hit one fat. Too fat, and I couldn't lift my left arm above waist height for almost a year. It hurt EVERY night.

Yadda, yadda, yadda <insert sob story here>. End result: I gave up not only basketball, but golf too.

-------------

So my nephew took up the game in 2014 and he says: "Uncle X, grab some clubs and come out and play."

"Oh no, I can't. It hurts every night"...and only then did I realize it actually didn't. It hadn't hurt for quite a few years, in fact. But I had never noticed.

Long story short I tried to get back into the game, and had a bag full of thirteen clubs, all of which I could out-put with my putter. Progressive glasses can seem to make the ball seem to rise up and then drop down, depending on how far you turn your head...and the game is hard enough as it is when the ball seems to be stationary.

So I went back to contact lenses, a year ago, and if only for golf.

I also built myself a set of clubs last year which I thought would better fit my age and rapidly aging body (I no longer have a left achilles tendon), so it's hard to have faith in a landing zone which is rather random. The whole set was...is...just waaayyyy too soft, as it turns out. Just way too slow, and taking way too much time up to the top and back. Particularly where the woods are concerned.

No confidence from day one with the new (I thought last) set, and feeling like a very old man almost every time I swung them.

Until I got the (same Titleist 9.5 head/ same loft) driver as with the first set, but with a different shaft (KK S-50 LE) just the other day. From the very first shot--"solid" barely describes it--I was in love. I went home and just a few hours later had bought up all three KK X-60's off Ebay.

So now I need to speed up again to much stiffer iron shafts. Maybe from a Project X 6.0 to a 7.0....

===========

It's just so much fun to HIT the little white (yellow, orange...pink) orb again. Even if I have no distance.....................yet. I will get most of it back, I'm sure.

THIS GUY is my gold standard. The longest driver in the world at the time (Greg Norman said so too, and he was the longest driver on the PGA Tour at the time), but with a purely conventional swing:

Last edited:
All of which leads me (don't ask me how. I'm as clueless as you are) to building a big layout. To BIG ideas and how to realize them--see them, or at least some of them--into fruition.

If you envision a big railroad in terms of mileage (I do), and in terms of scope (I do) and it terms of simple square footage (Oh, I assure you I do), then you might also realize you will need a LOT of motive power and even more cars. Imagine, for example a freight train...let's say it's a coal train. Let's further say it's a "loads-in-loads-out" coal train. If you know this concept of train movement then you will also know it requires two trains of (roughly) the same length. One loaded (inbound) and the other unloaded (outbound). Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat again...and again....at a minimum.

But what if you want two of them moving in opposite directions at the same time? Now you either schedule them such that one train arrives at its destination and then becomes the other going back the other way...or you need twice the number of cars, because both trains are moving at the same time. Or even more.

Re: My D&RGW (a coal road)..., "Trainworks" (which I think is actually just a single guy with an injection molding machine) sold Bethlehem quad hoppers for about $36 dollars a three-pack. Without trucks. The trucks added about eight dollars to each car, thus $13+$8=~$21 dollars per car. And this is N-scale....

When you could get them. He stopped molding them quite a few years back now, and almost all of the ones you want have long since been bought up. Yes, they will come back onto the market as each collector dies...but they might outlive me. All of them.

Which leaves me...where? It leaves me "thinking like a manufacturer" myself. Do I buy my own injection molding machine...and pay to have the molds cut? Then crank them out myself? And even if I do, how do I letter them (or have them lettered)?

Today, and given current technology I look to two solutions: 3D print the cars/carbodies...and inkpad print the lettering. It's the only way I can see to get a large railroad built at all (and even this almost assumes actual employees to get the base/lions share in place at all).

D&J/Ken will know how this is done. Verrel, down in Cottonwood AZ does it pretty much this way.

================

Just kibitzing and imagineering.......

Last edited:
Hello from the western edge of the Great Basin. It's been an interesting summer, suffice to say I had a lot going on, and admittedly, I had reached a point that I wasn't on the confuser for a while. I hate this thing anyway, and it takes me awhile to do something on it, so it was easy to let it slide.
I have been working on the Gateway Sub though, I'll give an update in a bit.
Everybody have a great day!
Jerry

All of which leads me (don't ask me how. I'm as clueless as you are) to building a big layout. To BIG ideas and how to realize them--see them, or at least some of them--into fruition.

If you envision a big railroad in terms of mileage (I do), and in terms of scope (I do) and it terms of simple square footage (Oh, I assure you I do), then you might also realize you will need a LOT of motive power and even more cars. Imagine, for example a freight train...let's say it's a coal train. Let's further say it's a "loads-in-loads-out" coal train. If you know this concept of train movement then you will also know it requires two trains of (roughly) the same length. One loaded (inbound) and the other unloaded (outbound). Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat again...and again....at a minimum.

But what if you want two of them moving in opposite directions at the same time? Now you either schedule them such that one train arrives at its destination and then becomes the other going back the other way...or you need twice the number of cars, because both trains are moving at the same time. Or even more.

"My D&RGW": Trainworks (which I think is actually just a single guy with an injection molding machine) sold Bethlehem quad hoppers for about $36 dollars a three-pack. Without trucks. The trucks added about eight dollars to each car, thus $13+$8=~$21 dollars per car. And this is N-scale....

When you could get them. He stopped molding them quite a few years back now, and almost all of the ones you want have long since been bought up. Yes, they will come back onto the market as each collector dies...but they might outlive me. All of them.

Which leaves me...where? It leaves me "thinking like a manufacturer" myself. Do I buy my own injection molding machine...and pay to have the molds cut? Then crank them out myself? And even if I do, how do I letter them (or have them lettered)?

Today, and given current technology I look to two solutions: 3D print the cars/carbodies...and inkpad print the lettering. It's the only way I can see to get a large railroad built at all (and even this almost assumes actual employees to get the base/lions share in place at all).

D&J/Ken will know how this is done. Verrel, down in Cottonwood AZ does it pretty much this way.

================

Troy seems to be the whiz(kid??) on the 3D printer stuff, he'll definately know, may even be able to help with any files you may need to 3D your cars if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:
Good morning Shop Dwellers!

Thank you all for the "likes" and comments: Louis, Gary, Dave, Guy, Patrick, Tom-C51, Hughie, Jaz, TomO, Smudge

What a crazy 36 hours this has been!

As you may recall from my previous post on Tuesday, I was headed to visit my #1 daughter and SIL and grandson for supper and that was why I had to keep it brief. When I got there, my SIL and grandson were there but not my daughter; she was at a doctors appointment and running late, and told SIL to start supper without her.

Halfway thru the meal she calls SIL again. 30 seconds into the conversation SIL's eyebrows shoot up and he says "Whoa...REALLY?!" Daughter was visiting her OB/GYN, and was told that the baby boy that was due in two weeks was already on his way out.

No problem with that, he was already fully viable (not considered premature); but logistically it was a major problem because his grandmother and aunt were in Scotland and not due back until Thursday night. Grandson #1's regular babysitter wouldn't be available until Thursday morning, so this meant I (GrandDad) was the only remaining relative who could stay with him while mother and dad went to the hospital to deliver his baby brother. (He came out at ~10:45pm EDT and was totally healthy @ 6.5lbs.)

So what started out as a two-hour dinner visit turned into an overnight stay. While daughter and SIL rushed to pack their bags, I dashed back to my house and packed up an overnight bag and my laptop...been here ever since. I got some help during the day when daughter's closest friend dropped by with her sister so I could get a few hours' sleep. Now grandson's regular babysitter is supposed to get here at 7:30am; then I'll be able to get back to my own house.

Will be making the 1hr drive to Dulles Airport later this evening to pick up MHO and my #2 daughter.

My golf and bowling scores are very similar.
Planning a large railroad. Once you build one that's more than a sheet of plywood, you begin to understand the importance of planning ahead, why you do things in a particular order, why you have other people look at your work, why you don't go cheap on material or take shortcuts in construction.
Gonna go on down to the club layout and see if I can find something to do in prep for this weekend's open house. I'll take a team of locos along to run. Spent a couple hours yesterday speed matching SP 6 Geeps and want to see how they run on a foreign system.

Saw this yest on my way home. Not very often see 4 pullers.
canuck turkey day this coming monday

Attachments

• IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    401.2 KB · Views: 48
IBKen: Congratulations!

Ken(VA): Crypto? Let's just say chances of it replacing the Dollar, are between Slim and None. As others have said, it's just another way to part you from your money.

Sun is shining, sky is clear and it's going to the 70s today :)

Good night's sleep, but still tired...two shots on the same day...maybe not a good idea?

Thank you all for the "likes" and comments: Louis, Gary, Dave, Guy, Patrick, Tom-C51, Hughie, Jaz, TomO, Smudge

As you may recall from my previous post on Tuesday, I was headed to visit my #1 daughter and SIL and grandson for supper and that was why I had to keep it brief. When I got there, my SIL and grandson were there but not my daughter; she was at a doctors appointment and running late, and told SIL to start supper without her.

Halfway thru the meal she calls SIL again. 30 seconds into the conversation SIL's eyebrows shoot up and he says "Whoa...REALLY?!" Daughter was visiting her OB/GYN, and was told that the baby boy that was due in two weeks was already on his way out.

No problem with that, he was already fully viable (not considered premature); but logistically it was a major problem because his grandmother and aunt were in Scotland and not due back until Thursday night. Grandson #1's regular babysitter wouldn't be available until Thursday morning, so this meant I (GrandDad) was the only remaining relative who could stay with him while mother and dad went to the hospital to deliver his baby brother. (He came out at ~10:45pm EDT and was totally healthy @ 6.5lbs.)

So what started out as a two-hour dinner visit turned into an overnight stay. While daughter and SIL rushed to pack their bags, I dashed back to my house and packed up an overnight bag and my laptop...been here ever since. I got some help during the day when daughter's closest friend dropped by with her sister so I could get a few hours' sleep. Now grandson's regular babysitter is supposed to get here at 7:30am; then I'll be able to get back to my own house.

Will be making the 1hr drive to Dulles Airport later this evening to pick up MHO and my #2 daughter.
Wow! Well first, congratulations to you and your daughter, secondly your MOH will be miffed at not being there, so be prepared for the Spanish inquisition on your trip back from the airport, even though you wont have any of the answers, and thirdly, admit it, your knackered, but the smile hasn't left your face. :D

Re: My D&RGW (a coal road)..., "Trainworks" (which I think is actually just a single guy with an injection molding machine) sold Bethlehem quad hoppers for about $36 dollars a three-pack. Without trucks. The trucks added about eight dollars to each car, thus $13+$8=~$21 dollars per car. And this is N-scale....

================

I too have been trying to figure out 'how am I gonna do that' when it comes to adding cars for the layout. One reason being is that I have room for 14 20ft trains in staging; what is that 35 to 40 cars per train - 650 to 750 cars. I can find 50/60ft boxes just about everywhere at a cheaper price than new. Problem that I have is this railroad is supposed to be an Oil Hauler. Tanks are few and far between and usually twice the cost of the box's. I need cars for the refinery, both empty and loaded. Also cars set out in different places lineside with at least 2 trains in staging. None of the above includes movements that are actually going somewhere. So, guessing, I probably need more than 100 tanks to populate the thing. This railroad is set in the late 60's to early 70's so 40/50ft tanks are the norm.

Have been watching prices over the years and have come to the conclusion that there is no way I will be able to afford new tanks. Still need a few RS's, GP's and SD's, and I think I have all the big steam I want. Spot check on eBay just now has tanks at $25 to $50 used/open box, brand new from Trainworld or Walthers is more. How in the heck can somebody new to the hobby get into it at those prices?

So it all boils down to I need to make them. Currently thinking plastic for the tank, soft metal frames ( Zamac and friends ), but will still have to buy wheel sets and couplers. The tank body should be pretty easy, but the end caps and dome will be fun. Mold for the frame will probably take a couple of iterations but once done I should be able to get what I need. Lettering is another can-o-worms. Decals would work but am leaning toward an ink stamp set up. Since they are all pretty much the same, except for car numbers lettering is also the same. I have not done all my research yet as I don't know if hazmat placards were used then, or 'safety couplers' that you see on tanks now days.

Boy, it sure *sounds* easy just writing about it!

Later

Morning all,

55° and partly light currently, going for a high later of 84°.

Today looks to be the day I may have finally broken the week mess. I finally have a command computer back, and once again have 1 point control of my datacenters. Still have issues linking the backups between the new backup server and the new command computer, so hopefully have that accomplished later today.

On a side note: Now that the wife has applied for SS, she got a call from her former boss. The boss's last day with the daycare the wife left on Friday is taking a similar position at a different church that wants to start a daycare. The wife was asked if she'd like to work at the new daycare. Of course more money hourly was discussed, so now she's torn about whether so wants to stay working or completely retire. On one hand we'll get the house paid off quicker, but at the cost of needing a new car, that will probably end up about the same as the P&I of the current house payment, so that may not be a gain. She'd be working with her former coworker as well, and not sure she wants to do so. I told her I'd support either decision. I'd really like her to go back, only so she doesn't lose her sanity of being home alone all day.

Dog and cat sitting for the next 2 weeks for the distant kids. They schedule a once a year antelope\elk hunt in New Mexico. Dogs are easy, the cat not so much.

IBKen: Congrats, babies come when they are ready.

BBL

IBKen: Congratulations!

Ken(VA): Crypto? Let's just say chances of it replacing the Dollar, are between Slim and None. As others have said, it's just another way to part you from your money.

Sun is shining, sky is clear and it's going to the 70s today :)

Good night's sleep, but still tired...two shots on the same day...maybe not a good idea?
Slim to none. Then what's this about?

They're dead serious about it. Way too much money sitting on the tabletop to ignore.

I use CC for most purchases. I keep hearing stuff about the dollar going away and being replaced with a crypto type of currency. Not sure if I like that idea, but then, I doubt I'm going to sway anybody.
Like checks, paper money will always be here. Not to sure about the coins though. There are people who flat out do not trust the banks and use cash for everything

Good morning,

Cloudy and cool in east central MN, 44° and heading for a high of 48.

Ken IB - congrads on the grandbaby!

Crypto - I think is a big scam. I have company in that statement with some very smart people, which does surprise me a bit. Hope the Govt doesn't buy in as some suggest. Something like "the King has no clothes"

Chad - house is really coming together, that is great!

Patrick - we have a similar dilemma, on how long I should work. If it means us replacing a vehicle due to all the miles, it may not be worthwhile economically, esp with gas so high and a 120 mile round trip commute. A job closer to home would mean half the paycheck and all the perks that go with a County job.

here is a shot from the old layout:

_MG_5612.jpg

The B and O boxcar is on the layout for Louis! Probably wouldn't see one in Minnesota.

more later, Dave LASM

How to populate a large layout.
I had the same concern when building my current empire. I found that at train shows there are tons of used stuff at nickels on the dollar price. I needed to populate my intermodal containers and vans. I set my limit at .50 per and now, I have well over 500 of em on the layout. Coal hoppers, I set my limit at $2 each and now have well over 300 of em. I had about 150 40' tanks but gave them to another modeler when I got into the Scale Trains tanks.

Morning all,

Today looks to be the day I may have finally broken the week mess. I finally have a command computer back, and once again have 1 point control of my datacenters. Still have issues linking the backups between the new backup server and the new command computer, so hopefully have that accomplished later today.

On a side note: Now that the wife has applied for SS, she got a call from her former boss. The boss's last day with the daycare the wife left on Friday is taking a similar position at a different church that wants to start a daycare. The wife was asked if she'd like to work at the new daycare. Of course more money hourly was discussed, so now she's torn about whether so wants to stay working or completely retire. On one hand we'll get the house paid off quicker, but at the cost of needing a new car, that will probably end up about the same as the P&I of the current house payment, so that may not be a gain. She'd be working with her former coworker as well, and not sure she wants to do so. I told her I'd support either decision. I'd really like her to go back, only so she doesn't lose her sanity of being home alone all day.

Dog and cat sitting for the next 2 weeks for the distant kids. They schedule a once a year antelope\elk hunt in New Mexico. Dogs are easy, the cat not so much.

BBL
I would encourage her to accept the offer to help startup the new daycare. She could always change her mind at a later date. She may regret having not tried.

Congrats on the new addition to the family. This is exactly what FAMILY is, being there and stepping up when needed.

I too have been trying to figure out 'how am I gonna do that' when it comes to adding cars for the layout. One reason being is that I have room for 14 20ft trains in staging; what is that 35 to 40 cars per train - 650 to 750 cars. I can find 50/60ft boxes just about everywhere at a cheaper price than new. Problem that I have is this railroad is supposed to be an Oil Hauler. Tanks are few and far between and usually twice the cost of the box's. I need cars for the refinery, both empty and loaded. Also cars set out in different places lineside with at least 2 trains in staging. None of the above includes movements that are actually going somewhere. So, guessing, I probably need more than 100 tanks to populate the thing. This railroad is set in the late 60's to early 70's so 40/50ft tanks are the norm.

Have been watching prices over the years and have come to the conclusion that there is no way I will be able to afford new tanks. Still need a few RS's, GP's and SD's, and I think I have all the big steam I want. Spot check on eBay just now has tanks at $25 to $50 used/open box, brand new from Trainworld or Walthers is more. How in the heck can somebody new to the hobby get into it at those prices?

So it all boils down to I need to make them. Currently thinking plastic for the tank, soft metal frames ( Zamac and friends ), but will still have to buy wheel sets and couplers. The tank body should be pretty easy, but the end caps and dome will be fun. Mold for the frame will probably take a couple of iterations but once done I should be able to get what I need. Lettering is another can-o-worms. Decals would work but am leaning toward an ink stamp set up. Since they are all pretty much the same, except for car numbers lettering is also the same. I have not done all my research yet as I don't know if hazmat placards were used then, or 'safety couplers' that you see on tanks now days.

Boy, it sure *sounds* easy just writing about it!

Later
If you need more rolling stock look to the Facebook sales sites. Sign up for a few or for many. If you are a FB hater sign up anyway, ONLY pay attention to the buy and sell sites and ignore everything else that pops up in the feed.

I buy some and sell everything via the Facebook groups. I have never used EBAY though after a few emails with Alcomotive (James) he has given me some excellent tips as to why I should. I am weathering some rolling stock of his and the prices he purchased at are super deals on excellent equipment.

I had the big layout, I had over 100 locomotives and 300 cars. The layout for me became too much work. Now my layout is a shelf 84 lineal feet long and runs great. There has been another 60’ of expansion but other then the framework nothing has been touched in about 14 months.

Morning all,

BBL
That’s a tough one Patrick. My daughter was in day care both as a worker bee and then owner of 5. She sold them at age 36 after 9 years and was lost for a couple years looking for something to do besides consulting for day cares. Worked for us for a year and said nope property management wasn’t for her either. Finally with the help of the combined banks of mom and dad she started a non-profit helping to locate child care for folks in need.

Tell the wife again you will support any decisions she makes. But she needs at least a month off before she makes a decision. Child care workers are in short supply so there is no need to rush a decision. Lots of issues in Wisconsin with church run day care centers, the rules because they are church are different

How to populate a large layout.
I had the same concern when building my current empire. I found that at train shows there are tons of used stuff at nickels on the dollar price. I needed to populate my intermodal containers and vans. I set my limit at .50 per and now, I have well over 500 of em on the layout. Coal hoppers, I set my limit at $2 each and now have well over 300 of em. I had about 150 40' tanks but gave them to another modeler when I got into the Scale Trains tanks.
Ya train shows. I found that if you go in on the first day and scope stuff out, you can come back on the last day just before closing and make offers on what you want. I got my price as I suspect that it was easier to sell, than putting it all away and taking it home. Have gotten many box's this way. At that time, I was not considering tanks, as I was not thinking about oil although I remember that there were *some* up for sale. Could not offer on a bunch of them, and they wanted more than I wanted to pay. The last one I got to visit was in Spokane ( 150 miles ) 2 years ago and I managed 35 NP box's with unique car numbers @ $3.50 each.

Stack cars will be another issue. Since I am 60/70's era, Gunderson twin types will be what is wanted. I suspect that I can create my own 40ft containers given time and I now have a Gunderson model of what I need to make. Walthers has 5 unit set for $70 - out of my price range, especially if I need more than a few.

From where I am at, train shows are long distance driving and then if they run 2 or 3 days, at least one night in motel. Now that I have time, more train shows will come into play. Believe it or not, the wife still likes the idea of road trips even though we have been on the road for over 1 million miles! She does not really care about the shows though, she finds her own way to spend money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back