Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff- one of the things I love about Wisconsin is no toll roads/bridges. My wife’s uncle did the vows & exchanging of the rings for our wedding. He’s a WELS(WI Lutheran Synod) pastor.

Louis- I got to see him at Camden Yards in his final season. My BIL was in South Jersey in the middle of his PCS from Ft Wainwright(AK) & Heidelberg, Germany.
That is Austin Hayes, one of the young baby birds we are counting on.

Just out of curiosity, roughly how long does a baseball game take to play, time wise that is, and how many pitches on average, per game ?
Chad did a very good job answering your question, thank you Chad.
All I will add, modern pitchers take too much time in between pitches. Batters are just as bad in adding to the delay.
Two hour games were the norm. Seems to me the longer games began in that late 70s and early 80s. Things have only gotten worse since.

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours in the train room adding details. Today I put on women, children, dogs, chickens, men, soda bottle machines, and general detail pieces for the general store and gas station. I also added a bunch of apple trees (MOH really wanted them). I still need to add regular trees, vehicles, and a women hanging laundry scene (waiting on it). The vehicles all need weathering before being added. Next week I have 3 "dead" days and Saturday my MRR friends are coming over for the first time.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Sherrel- You're famous!

Karl- I hope you feel better soon.

Troy- The vehicles look neat.

Guy- I'm ambivalent about the road. It didn't come out the way I expected. The wife says it looks good (she can be brutally honest) so I guess I'll live with it.

IB Ken- The 84 lumber looks great.

Joe- Nice photo. The catenary is looking pretty sad.

Willie- More great layout shots.

Smudge- Very nice detailing, weathering, and lighting. It's a winner.

layout57.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Joe- Nice photo. The catenary is looking pretty sad.
Curt: Good observation! Would you be surprised if I told you the train was on former Jersey Central Territory? The infrastructure was built long before NJT extended the Catenary from South Amboy to Long Branch. It was built that way to provide for 23000KV transmission lines along the CNJ ROW. There was no room for the normal transmission towers, as Uncle Sam owned the ground on either side of the ROW. (Fort Monmouth, and further down, NWS Earle so the utility, JCP&L, could not use Eminent Domain. It was built about the same time as the PRR electrification, so they "borrowed" the idea.
The "Patch" looks fantastic! Excellent modeling.

Good Evening All. Well, it did indeed cool off today, it's currently cloudy and 62°, headed for 56°. The rain has been removed from the forecast for today, tomorrow and Monday. I guess that since it didn't rain today, it was sensible to remove it! There is some rain south of Ft Worth right now, but it's at least 100 miles away.

I think that LOUIS referring to the fact that "no long hair, clean shaven, and NOT fussing with batting gloves".
The looks of baseball that I grew up with!

1958 VFW National Champs, Hershey, Pennsylvania
That's me smack dab in the center of the pic.
The tall guy behind my right shoulder played for the Milwaukee Braves a while.

View attachment 146168
Sherrel- when the incomparable Vin Scully was still calling Dodger games, I remember him doing a story about the prevalence of beards in today’s game(especially as it relates to Justin Turner’s ginger beard- which gets progressively longer as the season goes along. By October, it’s usually down to the yoke of his jersey) & comparing the fad to the fact that Gillette used to be one of the primary sponsors for the World Series, of which he called 28 Series, between radio & tv.

Coincidentally, the broadcasting rule of thumb for baseball used to be “never start a story with 2 outs”. When Vin would break this “rule”, the batter would invariably either have a 10-12 pitch at-bat or reach base to extend the half inning, so that Vin could finish, as SWMBO calls it, “story time”.

Good morning from a chilled Wisconsin. 50f degrees now heading to maybe 58.

Karl, a frig, trains and a good chair isn’t a bad thing. I have my thoughts on the unvaccinated but I guess we have to treat it like the flu. Vaccinated or not we most likely are going to get it.

I have the granddaughter for a few hours this morning. Even though the grandson is out in California with his mom and grandmom, dad is still one of the coaches on the soccer team. With the weather in the miserable 50’s we will stay in. The doc on Thursday said I can go in the pool but no laps yet and try to avoid for another couple weeks getting the neck incision wet from the pool water. I told her its a salt water pool not chlorine and she didn’t really get what I meant.

A modeling buddy called yesterday knowing I can’t drive yet. He asked if I needed anything at the hobby shop and he would drop it off to me, he was in the parking lot. Well, I can always think of something in need at the LHS. Grabbed my list on the IPadPro/iPhone and called the LHS for the friend to pick up. Still no sheet styrene from Evergreen, definitely no .060 plain sheet. I had purchased all the .060 4-5 weeks ago he had even of the Plasitruc which is a bigger sheet but ABS instead of styrene. Tons of new Tamiya paints but no extra thin glue. Testors dull cote spray cans at $10.99 he has but I am looking for an alternative anyway. He has said since Christmas he has not received any sheet goods from Evergreen. I have looked online and my LHS price wise even with Wisconsin sales tax is a better deal then anything on line. The 25% discount the LHS gives me is great, but price doesn’t matter if it is unavailable. With my modeling slow down, I can live without for now.

IBKEN, is documenting in the MRH forums his layout build. A very nice switching layout and has started to posts some pictures different from his postings here. Sometimes it helps to go elsewhere but he hasn’t left us. I love the clean lines of his modeling, this he posted here on 5/14
View attachment 146183
A nice re-purposed Walthers steel mill building he is using for 84 Lumber

Not real sure what I will be doing this afternoon. I could turn the golf on if I need a nap. I loved the NHL hockey last night. Carolina beat again the over hyped IMO the NY Rangers. The Oilers/Flames game was very exciting and tied when I hit the pillow at midnight.

Everyone be safe

Tom
Tom O- in all my years living in South Jersey, I never made it to a Flyers-Rangers game, which was so convenient to get to, being that MSG is right above Penn Station(which I’ve been thru numerous times(my aunt & uncle(Dad’s sister) have been in the same apartment on the Upper West Side since 1966) over the years). It’s so much easier to get to their home by taking mass transit- plus, no need to worry about parking. I wouldn’t have wanted to try parking Big Red(the Quad Cab Dodge Ram I had for 10 years, up til the engine gave up the ghost a few years ago. Wasn’t worth sinking money into a new/reman/used engine on a 14 year old truck that was starting to nickel & dime us. Weathere wise, I don’t think it got much above 55 up here on Saturday.
Jeff- if you’re south of the O-Pike, what tolls are there between OH & Savannah? Just WV Pike south of Charleston? Or have they added other toll roads/bridges in the South?
Joe- Saturday’s game in Philly was just about the opposite as Friday night. Aaron Nola had the game under control, taking a 4-1 lead into the 5th inning, before the Dodgers scored 2 in the 5th & then the Fresh Prince hitting a tying home run into the South Philadelphia night. I guess the scouting report that says “don’t run on Mookie Betts” still has yet to make its way to the Keystone State. After he threw out 2 runners at PNC 10 days ago, he threw out Herrera by a country mile to end the 7th. The Kenosha Kid(Gavin Lux- the school where his uncle had been the coach since the late 80’s, is one of the instate colleges that MOH was looking at for her bachelors degree, before settling on UWSP) knocked in the winning run in the 8th, & then the bullpen shut them down the final 2 innings for the 7-4 win. Tomorrow morning features The Catman/Gooose(Tony Gonsolin) vs the Dodger for a Day, Zack Eflin. He was acquired from the Friars in the Kemp trade that brought Grandal to LA & then flipped to Philly then following day in the Jimmy Rollins dealt

Morning, Flo- while I’m waiting on the rest of the Sunday crew to meander in, may I please have 4 rooster bullets(scrambled), a couple slices of scrapple, an onion bagel with Philly cream cheese & a bottomless cup of that mud that Mel calls coffee, PATY. Chilly morning here in North Central Wisconsin. It’s 38 but supposed to get up to the mid 50’s today. It’s supposed to get to the low 60’s for Monday & Tuesday, but then rain the rest of the week(not conducive to good sales for our MRRC’s annual brat fry this week).

Good morning. It's cloudy and 68.
I just got an email from the company that made my wife's cpap machine. I got it for her last May, in June I was sent a "stop use" order for the machine. The email I just got says she should receive her replacement machine within the next 6 months. I guess I can wait--it's not like she needs it any more, or that it's a necessary medical device...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back