Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy 4th of July. Deck is all painted and the chairs are back up. The wife has put some solar lights up to dress things up some.
Time to relax after all the work and have lunch.

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 132
Willie, no crabs at all at my house this year. :( We only had hamburgers, hotdogs, and brats. I did make pulled pork barbeque, that is my son’s favorite. The only guests were my kids. I told them it was not necessary to come, but they all said it’s not 4th of July unless they are at our house.

Once this virus has run its course you just let me know when you are coming, and my wife will be more than happy to make more crab cakes than it’s possible to eat.

If you don’t leave full and take home leftovers, you were not at my house!

A side note, jumbo lump Maryland Blue Crab meat (true blue) was $24.95 per pound, from my supplier, the cheapest in town and he always gives me a special discount. I didn’t buy any. I thought with the restaurants all but closed it would be cheap $10-$15 per pound or maybe even less.

I only buy true blue crabs.
1593906216757.png

Other crabs might be from Virginia, North Carolina or Louisiana, the salinity of the water is to high and crabs are not as good. Or even worse Asia, Mexico, or other places. The Asian blue crab looks almost the same, but you can taste the difference. My family has been getting Maryland crabs from the same place “Fruitland” in Essex, southeastern Baltimore Co for over 50 years. He buys from watermen from the eastern shore of the bay, the Wye river, Kent Co. Maryland, the best crabs in the world! :)

Howdy ..... I'm taking a break for a few minutes from our company while they swim in the lake. .... We've been swimming, boating, fishing, and eating constantly.

Happy 4th of July !

I took the photos below in Detroit during the Bi-centennial celebration.

35930540524_bc8bdbc956_b.jpg

36595047872_47452dae10_b.jpg

In the second photo, you can see the Renaissance Center under construction.
My BIL in Taylor worked IT in the Ren Center for 20+ years. First with EDS, then they were acquired by HP & the GM created their own in-house IT Dept. All from the same cubicle.

Good morning from the deck in So. Central Wisconsin. Mid 90’s today, the humidity is nasty and the breeze, almost non-existent at 8:04 Central time. This will not be a good day as I am tired of the humidity and being stuck at home because both Terry and I are high risk and hospital stays are on the rise because of the virus in our County. I am working on an electrical sub station diorama that I can plug into the Paper Mill scene but have lost interest in that over the last couple days. Don’t mean to be venting but... Thanks for reading. TomO

this is a shot over my modeling bench which is under a 8’ area of the layout

2ED0333A-1276-49AA-8E6A-BB9FF43EA2CF.jpeg

and the sub station I am working on prior to ground cover, gravel as above shows

3FE968D7-4A0B-4289-9AC0-0B77ADAA10C9.jpeg

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 76° here on the SFW estate. Still staying relatively cool for this time of year, only made it to 94° yesterday, a bit below our historic average. However the sunny days have allowed the pool temperature to rise to 88°. It's supposed to be cloudy starting this afternoon for a couple of days, so maybe it won't rise much more. Right now, first thing in the morning the water is 86°, quite refreshing when I completed my daily walk a little while ago.
I have to leave in a few minutes to get gas for the tractor, forgot to bring the empty can with me when I went grocery shopping last week. I had to cut short my mowing adventure yesterday and didn't feel like going then. Pool and beer felt like a better option than driving.
Back in the tomato processing mode yesterday, I made four more quarts of spaghetti sauce with the garden fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions and basil. On this batch I added mushrooms that I didn't grow. Grilled brats last night instead of a brisket or ribs, since I am "home alone". I have both of the others in the freezer for later this week.
There was no shortage of fireworks shows in my neighborhood last night. Besides seeing dozens of different displays on the horizon, two of my closest neighbors had their own displays. These fireworks were as close to the professional displays as they could be. They were rather dazzling but just weren't high. Not your typical bottle rocket displays. Jim always spends over $1000 on his, and it looked like Bubba and his fellow celebrants spent at least that much, if not more. Yep! Bubba is his name and I have known him for 40 years since he was in grade school. Sadly, I wasn't invited to either party!:( The low rumbling coming from every direction reminded me of the Dan Rather battlefield news reports from Vietnam back in the 60's.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday regarding the progress on the Salon; Sherrel, Guy, Jerome, Mikey, Chet, Garry, Curt, Tom, Louis.

How about a couple of breakfast tacos for me this morning Francine. Sausage, cheese, hash-browns and eggs with a big bowl of salsa on the side.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I admired the recently completed efforts on the CUP (Charlottesville Urbanization Project). Had to run a few more test trains over the grade crossing (not really). I did get a better closeup picture of the completed Salon.
07-05-20 003.JPG

Still not the best, I wish I had my good camera back.
07-05-20 004.JPG

I did start to add some roof details that cannot be seen by anyone as height-challenged as I am; but they will be visible to my taller visitors.

Sherrel - Belated birthday wishes for your MIL. That was a great gift from your SIL, or was it your youngest daughter?
Mike - Good idea about the portable A/C. I worked in the window manufacturing industry for 43 years and I would never have a horizontal sliding window, ever! Sometimes there is no choice.
Tom - Nice looking job on the pool deck. I am ready for you to do mine. All of the beer and BBQ is on me.

Today is National Bikini Day. I normally only post pictures that I have taken myself, so they are rather tame. Here's a couple from last years vacation in Gulf Shores AL.
09-27-19 trip 080.JPG

09-27-19 trip 078.JPG

And to keep us all safe, here's the local lifeguard.
09-27-19 trip 082.JPG

Everybody enjoy the day today and keep cool and safe.

Well, Dammit!
Spousal Unit and I did not make it to the MIL's 99th yesterday - even though it was a very small gathering - we received some disconcerting news : The EX SIL's father has Covid! The former SIL, his wife, and child is getting tested as well as the G-KID and our daughter -- and I guess we will need to as well? The wife did not want us to be around her mom until we have a better understanding of how everything is.
To sum up - I have been worried all along over the continuous coming and going of the daughter and G-KID. We both have tried to be very careful of who we associate and where we go - now it may be all for naught!

On top of it all - I am supposed to have my 5 year colonoscopy tomorrow morning (supposed to do the prep today)?
Do I proceed with it, or not? Do I tell them that I may have been exposed to the virus? I am in a minefield here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back